No announcement yet.

Shop Made Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The other day I needed to use two wrenches to tighten a bolt holding a part onto my faceplate so I grabbed a wrench out of my tool box to use in conjunction with the one I keep right at the lath. I set it down in the swarf tray and when I picked it up, it was fuzzy with chips! Somewhere the darn thing had gotten magnetized. Don't know where, don't know when, but it was a PITA. I really do not like anything magnetized around my lathe or mill.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arcane View Post
      The other day I needed to use two wrenches to tighten a bolt holding a part onto my faceplate so I grabbed a wrench out of my tool box to use in conjunction with the one I keep right at the lath. I set it down in the swarf tray and when I picked it up, it was fuzzy with chips! Somewhere the darn thing had gotten magnetized. Don't know where, don't know when, but it was a PITA. I really do not like anything magnetized around my lathe or mill.
      Newer washing machine pumps have a "U" core with 1 coil and a magnetic rotor inside a plastic housing without shaft seals. If you remove the rotor housing, you are left with the bare core with a slight gap. This makes a very good demagnetizer.
      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
      Helder Ferreira
      Setubal, Portugal

Comment

• Noitoen thanks for the idea!
        I have already made such a demagnetizer, just now, I just cut off the magnetic core a little, added a switch and placed it in the body of the old adapter. Works Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210915_135028.jpg Views:	9 Size:	703.0 KB ID:	1961403 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210915_135349.jpg Views:	9 Size:	790.7 KB ID:	1961404 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210915_135124.jpg Views:	9 Size:	727.3 KB ID:	1961405
        Last edited by pensioner; Yesterday, 07:58 AM.

Comment

• Here's something a little different. A swing weight scale I just finished last night.

While I know it's a stretch to be included in this thread, It is a tool, and I did make it in my shop .

For those who don't know what it is, it's a scale to measure the "heft" or "swing weight" of a golf club. This is a copy of Dave Tutelman's design with a few changes to suit material I had on hand. All the design and engineering info can be found here if you're interested. he can explain it much better than I can. https://www.tutelman.com/golf/measur...eightScale.php

This all started because I told my (6'5") Nephew I'd build him a set of golf clubs to fit his height. While researching I learned that if you extend clubs, you must counterweight them to maintain the same swing weight. Well, how can I maintain swing weight if I can't measure it*......so here we are.... I also machined a mold to pour lead counterweights. Don't have a pic of it, but will take some when I pour the weights. Hoping to have the club build wrapped up this weekend. Next build is a loft/lie machine to check and bend clubs. It's a slippery slope I tell ya. But it's fun.

*There are other ways to measure swing weight, but none as fun and time consuming as building a specialized tool for it. One way is here https://www.hirekogolf.com/golf-club...ght-calculator

Comment

Working...
          X