• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rcaffin
    replied
    Folds flat(ish) - yes indeed.
    Total weight is ~85 g.
    Fuel use for canister stoves depends on two things: pot dameter (narrow pots lose flames up the side) and power output. Run any stove hard and it is inefficient. In the mountains I typically use about 30 g of butane/propane mix per day for the TWO of us. That figure comes from many month-long walking trips.
    For winters in the snow, I double that figure, because it takes as much energy to melt a litre of snow as it does to boil it.

Minimum pot diameter is about 100 mm. That is a rather narrow pot. I prefer larger.
    There are 4 legs instead of three because it is much easier to tilt a pot over with only 3 legs. It's a geometry thing.
    The legs are 0.8 mm 5083 aluminium sheet, folded to a right angle, bolted down and machined to the shapes seen. The Al sheet is soft, but using pulsed misting (kero + olive oil) the cutter stays wet and there is no BUE.

I am currently machining up another 2 dozen stoves for sale.

Cheers
    Roger

Leave a comment:

• Arcane
    replied
    Originally posted by rcaffin View Post
    .............My manual machining is tolerable, but not good enough imho. So I bought a good CNC machine, good to 0.01 mm easily (ie not Chinese), taught myself how to write g-code.............
    Cheers
    Roger
    That's very impressive!

Leave a comment:

• Dan Dubeau
    replied
    I yearn for a lighter pack......I want a remote inverted canister stove.....So I bought a good CNC machine
    Cheers
    Roger
    We're probably the only group that understands that thought process. You managed to find the holy grail though and get it to pay for itself , congrats, and nice stoves.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Engelhardt
    replied
    On the right we have Version 4, with a (fairly) quiet burner. More complex aerodynamics. I have skipped V-1, V0, V1 and V2.
    Very nice ... very professional looking. Market worthy. It look like it folds up into a flat-ish form. How much does it weigh? How much fuel does it use & how much does the fuel weigh? What's the minimum diameter pot - it's hard to judge it's size?

Are the aluminum/aluminium legs CNC'ed from blocks? Why 4 legs - I would expect 3?

Leave a comment:

• thaiguzzi
    replied
    Here's my scissor knurler.
    The Marlco copy by Hemingway Kits in the UK, capacity is 2.5", nice bit of kit...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	phone photos to sept 2017 545.jpg
Views:	846
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	1876540

Name:	phone photos to sept 2017 541.jpg
Views:	834
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	1876541

Name:	phone photos to sept 2017 542.jpg