• Show
Clear All

• gambler
    replied
    Carriage stop for my Logan

Leave a comment:

• 0zzie34231
    replied
    Measuring a bore for a bearing is a perfect example. Trying to hit within a tenth or two is tough. Got to make one!
    Cheers, Ozzie

Leave a comment:

• mklotz
    replied
    Interesting how things come back around. That second URL references my post about George Britnell's tool.

Leave a comment:

• mattthegamer463
    replied
    Originally posted by mklotz View Post
    Where did you see it online? I've built my own version and would like to see how others have done it.
    This one I saw

https://www.cnccookbook.com/shopmade...indi-calipers/

And this one

https://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=1771.0

I think theres an HSM thread from 2010 talking about these but the images on there are mostly dead.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• mklotz
    replied
    Originally posted by mattthegamer463 View Post
    I saw the design around online and thought it would work well for me in some situations.
    Where did you see it online? I've built my own version and would like to see how others have done it.

Leave a comment:

• mattthegamer463
    replied
    Originally posted by plunger View Post
    Dumb question.? Hows it work and what is it for?
    It's intended for checking bores and bosses, pretty much anything I suppose. In particular, places that are hard to measure like a shallow bore. Doesn't require removal from the lathe or mill to use.

An example with a bearing ID, set the gauge roughly by eye and lock the one sliding piece, sweep it in the bore while adjusting the differential screw to get the DTI zeroed, then repeat with the calipers but adjust the calipers until the DTI reads zero. Then read off the calipers. Substitue calipers for micrometer, gage blocks, reference bore etc. Depending on the accuracy you're looking for.

Alternatively, zero the DTI on a known reference and then check the unknown bore to find the difference.

Leave a comment:

• plunger
    replied
    Originally posted by mattthegamer463 View Post
    Whipped up a dial bore gauge in a day yesterday. It uses a DTI for a consistent spring force.

I saw the design around online and thought it would work well for me in some situations. Worked up my own version. Uses a 5/16-24 and 10-32 differential thread for fine adjustment.

Dumb question.? Hows it work and what is it for?

Leave a comment:

• mattthegamer463
    replied
    Originally posted by 0zzie34231 View Post
    Nice design and nice workmanship.
    Please tell us about the finish on the aluminum parts.
    And the tiny chamfer, was that done by hand?
    The material is cast 3/4 x 2" aluminum bar, some scrap I found. Chamfers were roughed on a strip sander. I wetsanded on 320 paper to get the flats surface finish and chamfers cleaned up.

Leave a comment:

• 0zzie34231
    replied
    Nice design and nice workmanship.
    Please tell us about the finish on the aluminum parts.
    And the tiny chamfer, was that done by hand?

Leave a comment:

• mattthegamer463
    replied
    Whipped up a dial bore gauge in a day yesterday. It uses a DTI for a consistent spring force.

I saw the design around online and thought it would work well for me in some situations. Worked up my own version. Uses a 5/16-24 and 10-32 differential thread for fine adjustment.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Engelhardt
    replied
    Originally posted by mars-red View Post
    ... a weak spring washer, ... to keep some light preload to preserve the pleasant feel.
    I like that idea. Having play in such a finely made tool would be really annoying.

Leave a comment:

• QSIMDO
    replied
    Not to worry, I have a feeling it will turn up
    Beautiful work, mars and miss your posts.

Leave a comment:

• mars-red
    replied
    Originally posted by 1-800miner View Post
    The penny! you didn't lose it, did you?
    Not to worry, I have a feeling it will turn up

Leave a comment:

• mars-red
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post
    Beautiful ... a job to be proud of! All 3 of you. Like Stefan's it should have your names engraved on it.

What parts were ground? What is the fit on the "ways"?

It looks like the spring doesn't have enough travel. You could add a circlip to the threaded rod & eliminate the spring.
    Thanks!

I didn't grind any parts at all, the only ground surfaces are the OD of the two guide pins that is simply the factory finish from the length of O1 drill rod that was used. The fit between the pins and the side plates is about 0.0002" clearance, in theory. The holes were reamed oversize, with both side plates ganged in the vise. Loctite was used on one side to secure the pins. In practice, the clearance varies with the temperature of the aluminum. Thoroughly warmed up to body temperature, the fit is very free but still with no perceptible slop. I noticed that at cool temperatures (around 50-60 degrees Fahrenheit) the fit changes to a sliding fit with a minimal amount of drag. Even though that's a more than acceptable range of operating conditions, aluminum will not be my first choice of material if I decide to make a batch of these.

One of the changes that will be made to the design if I make more than just this prototype, is a circlip as you mentioned but also using a weak spring washer, to eliminate the need for a long spring and to keep some light preload to preserve the pleasant feel.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Engelhardt
    replied
    I made another specialized watchmaking tool ...
    Beautiful ... a job to be proud of! All 3 of you. Like Stefan's it should have your names engraved on it.

What parts were ground? What is the fit on the "ways"?

It looks like the spring doesn't have enough travel. You could add a circlip to the threaded rod & eliminate the spring.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X