X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dian
    replied
    what is better, this type or the one where you wind the wire onto a handle?

Leave a comment:

• Danl
    replied
    Originally posted by Hopefuldave View Post
    Crude, but very effective and I put it together in 15 minutes - delivery if I'd bought one would have been a few days!

Dave H. (the other one)
    Very nice, Dave. There are a lot of people out there who simply cannot grasp how these can possibly be better than normal screw/gear adjusting hose clamps.

I suspect most of them would appreciate these after making and using them a few times.

Dan L

Leave a comment:

• Hopefuldave
    replied
    I started putting together a torch cooler for my newly-acquired TIG welder, and realised I was going to have trouble making space for Jubilee (worm-drive) hose clamps and would need a lot of 'em, saw the ClampTite wire tool and though "I can make one of those" - it worked out pretty easily, a few holes drilled in some aluminium tube (clearance bore for 8mm all-threadalike) and a pair of slots angle-grindered, I DID have to buy a wingnut, though...

Here it is in all its inglory, alongside the cooler's pressure-pulsation damper (I'm using a diaphragm pump)

The business end - a piece of M12 all-threadalike Loctited in the drilled and tapped end of the tube, then the lot spun in a drill against the bench grinder, finally slitted with a 1mm cutting disc in the angle grinder:

And... the end result, 0.8mm / 0.032" stainless lockwire on a clear PVC tube over an 8mm (5/16") hose barb,

Crude, but very effective and I put it together in 15 minutes - delivery if I'd bought one would have been a few days!

Dave H. (the other one)

Leave a comment:

• DICKEYBIRD
    replied
    Very good link; thanks for posting it Matt.

Leave a comment:

• gambler
    replied
    Originally posted by tinkertoy41 View Post
    With all the Threads about grinding tool bits maybe this will help!!!!
    The company below is reproducing the SB grinding fixture with capacity to 1/2" square.
    Should help get a tool that cuts right the first time!

http://alisam.com/tool-bit-grinding-gage-jig.html

Tinkertoy1941
    the first project in the book "the shop wisdom of D. E. Johnson " is one of those grinding jigs. if you want to roll you own.

Leave a comment:

• mattthegamer463
    replied
    Originally posted by DICKEYBIRD View Post
    Did you do a build thread on your oven Matt? If not, will you pretty please?
    I did have a thread talking about my issues with Nichrome wire, initally. I did not know about "surface load" at the time.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...me-Heater-Wire

I got a lot of my info from this guy's blog post, including my brick layout as I found the same bricks from a local pizza oven supply.

http://dcknives.blogspot.ca/p/electric-forge.html

I could do a bigger post with more pictures if it was wanted. My coil would greatly benefit from 2x the groove length so I could stretch it out longer, but by the time I was learning that I'd need kanthal and not nichrome, and that the surface load was way too high, there wasn't much I could do as the oven was glued together already.

Leave a comment:

• Yondering
    replied
    Another vote for a build thread on that, and especially a section on the controller. I've been wanting to build one like this myself, nice work!

Leave a comment:

• DICKEYBIRD
    replied
    Did you do a build thread on your oven Matt? If not, will you pretty please?

Leave a comment:

• mattthegamer463
    replied
    Originally posted by Jack F View Post
    Beautiful job Matt. What did it cost to build this?

Jack.
    It wasn't too bad. About $100 for the brick, $60 for the flat bar and sheet metal, $30 for the heater wire, $30 for the timer unit, $12 for the big LED lamps, $15 for the power meter module. The rest of the stuff was in my junk bins and scraps from work.

Leave a comment:

• Jack F
    replied
    Beautiful job Matt. What did it cost to build this?

Jack.

Leave a comment:

• Cenedd
    replied
    Nice. Good job you don't live near me! "You know your heat-treat oven..."!
    Everyone needs a surface grinder....and the space to put it *sigh* Pretty sure I'd need a divorce lawyer too if I tried to buy one anyway!

Leave a comment:

• mattthegamer463
    replied
    I finished up my heat treating oven today. Learned some stuff partway through and had to rejigger it a bit, but it works, so far. Got it up to 950 C and it was still climbing, not sure just how far it can go.

I hope to use it for case hardening mild steels and for through hardening and tempering tool steels.

Seems like I'll be needing a surface grinder soon.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• _Paul_
    replied
    Originally posted by tinkertoy41 View Post
    The company below is reproducing the SB grinding fixture with capacity to 1/2" square.

Tinkertoy1941
    Still using my original South Bend unit very handy.

Leave a comment:

• ezduzit
    replied
    41--thank you.

Leave a comment:

• tinkertoy41
    replied

Tinkertoy1941

Leave a comment:

Working...
X