Clear All

• Dan Dubeau
    replied
    You just gave me an idea for another lure I'll call it the Muppet Worm™ lol

Leave a comment:

• mattthemuppet
    replied
    Beautiful work Jerry.

Yes, metal worms One of each in alu, brass and stainless. They're going to be a necklace for a guy I met at the worm conference this summer (I work on soil nematodes) after he saw a set I made for the worm art show. I know, I know They're going to be cut into the same size pieces so that they can interchange, hence the need to bend them to exactly the same shape.

Very nice Toolguy! Though I've only ever been fishing, never catching. I'll leave that stuff to Bob and Dan on here..

Leave a comment:

• Toolguy
    replied
    Originally posted by rcaffin View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but 'metal worms'???
    Cheers
    Probably for catching steelhead trout...

Leave a comment:

• Jerrythepilot
    replied
    I tried J. Randolf Bulgin’s sine bar project from his last article. It’s a great learning experience.

Leave a comment:

• rcaffin
    replied
    Forgive my ignorance, but 'metal worms'???
    Cheers

Leave a comment:

• mattthemuppet
    replied
    in action
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9015.JPG
Views:	847
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	1842788

Leave a comment:

• mattthemuppet
    replied
    made a little vise stop for my mill vise

Name:	IMG_9010.JPG
Views:	845
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	1842782

Name:	IMG_9011.JPG
Views:	830
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	1842783
    it can go on the front or rear jaw. Used it already, very handy. I'll probably make a side mount one at some point, but this will do for now.

made a mini-press brake for, believe it or not, bending metal worms

Name:	IMG_9012.JPG
Views:	838
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	1842784

Name:	IMG_9013.JPG
Views:	839
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	1842785

Name:	IMG_9014.JPG
Views:	839
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	1842786
    in action

Leave a comment:

• Yondering
    replied
    Thanks for sharing, DATo. Good stuff and beautiful work.

Leave a comment:

• DATo
    replied
    Thanks for the comments! The design was presented to us by the school - I did not design it. I just noticed that the tool being clamped in the second picture is not a piece of keyway stock as I said in the O.P. but a carbide radius cutter. Both my eyes and the vise are over a half century old so I hope this will serve as an adequate excuse for my mistake *LOL*

[EDIT] One humorous and one tragic story:

As stated in my original post I had been dreaming about becoming a machinist since I was 12 years old, therefore I was very excited about my opportunity to be included in the vocational pilot program. On the first day of our first-year class we were handed a piece of 1 1/2" O.D. CRS which was about 5" long to make the aforesaid (OP) screw jack. We were required to chuck it "true" in a four jaw chuck using a piece of chalk to mark the runout and then adjust accordingly till it ran concentric with the lathe spindle. Despite my best efforts I was unable to grasp the gist of things and by the end of the session I had still not gotten the accursed piece of stock running true. That was a long bus ride home. I was convinced that I would never be a machinist since I was unable to accomplish this first assigned task. I was almost literally in tears. Part of my duties during my last 15 years of employment was to teach a basic machine shop class. We did not use the 4 jaw but one of the students inquired about it having seen it in the shop and I proceeded to show him, and the rest of the class, how it worked. To demonstrate "chucking true" I put a very pointed tool bit (threading tool) in the toolholder and brought it to the "high side" of the runout then adjusted. I kept doing this until I had to use a magnifying glass on the last adjustments. I then checked it with an indicator and it was within .002 runout. Out of nowhere I was reminded of that first day of tech school and I had to smile.

There was always a competition among the students regarding our progress as we were expected to complete a certain amount of projects each year. Our names were posted publicly on a board for all to see when we completed a project and what our grade was. There were three of us who were always very close in this competition: myself, Jay and Dale. Dale was always just a slight bit ahead but he cheated *LOL* his grandfather was a retired tool and die maker and had a home shop. He had been tutoring Dale at his shop long before he was in the tech school. Jay and I were pretty close in terms of ability and though not far behind Dale had to give it our all to compete with one another. Sometimes Jay would come in with his project first and sometimes I would. The three of us however were good friends. I lost track of Dale and Jay after graduation but knew that Jay was going to join the Navy. Thirty years later I worked with a guy, Stan, who went to my high school and was in the same year. While reminiscing about our school days he mentioned Jay. I had no idea that he even knew him. It turns out that he and Jay were pretty good friends and he told me that Jay had been killed in Vietnam. That's impossible, I told him, Jay was going into the Navy. It turns out that Jay was assigned to a helicopter which was rescuing wounded troops and his copter was shot down. Jay is buried in the local military cemetery in my town and I have visited the grave several times, once not long ago which was also a prompt to post this project to the boards. Each time as I stand before his grave a flood of memories of those old days washes over me including this, our last project. Jay and I both got an A on it.
    Last edited by DATo; 12-09-2019, 09:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• thaiguzzi
    replied
    Originally posted by DATo View Post
    This is sort of an addendum to a post I recently made in another thread discussing my education in the machine shop vocation while in high school.

OK, I am going to try uploading a couple of picts of a project I made in technical school when I was 17 using the new forum system. I submitted these picts years ago but they somehow were deleted from the forum along with picts from other members. A glitch in the matrix I suspect. The device is a tool grinding vise. It is for setting angles on lathe bits for precision grinding on a surface grinder, but can also be used for other things. The base was made from a single piece of CRS and a concave socket was machined along the Y axis to cradle the first tiltable block and a second depression was machined in that block to cradle the second tilting block. The blocks are locked by the "flippers" you see on the sides. Each axis has 2 locks and the locking pressure of both of them is sufficient to hold the workpiece quite rigidly. The tilting blocks were made from one piece of cylindrically ground stock and split into two pieces. In the second photo the vise is holding a piece of keyway stock to simulate a tool bit. The rotatable top has 2 bronze dogs which are trapped by an angular slot (not visible) and locked by tightening the set screws one of which is visible in the second picture in the center of the upper tiltable block. The base originally had a black paint, crinkle finish (like a Kennedy box) which was baked on.

[EDITED TO ADD] In the first picture the block appears to be off scale relative to the 15 degree graduations, but on the opposite side of the fixture the tilt is being registered on another 15 degree scale i.e. each axis has complementary angular scales.

Click image for larger version Name:	ToolVise.png Views:	0 Size:	374.8 KB ID:	1842254Click image for larger version Name:	ToolVise2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	450.9 KB ID:	1842255
    Superb workmanship.
    Very impressive, kudos!

Leave a comment:

• TGTool
    replied
    Very nice. Did you design and draw that up yourself or find drawings for something similar?

Leave a comment:

• Tim Clarke
    replied
    SWEET! I'll bet this was the best one in the class!!

Leave a comment:

• DATo
    replied
    This is sort of an addendum to a post I recently made in another thread discussing my education in the machine shop vocation while in high school.

OK, I am going to try uploading a couple of picts of a project I made in technical school when I was 17 using the new forum system. I submitted these picts years ago but they somehow were deleted from the forum along with picts from other members. A glitch in the matrix I suspect. The device is a tool grinding vise. It is for setting angles on lathe bits for precision grinding on a surface grinder, but can also be used for other things. The base was made from a single piece of CRS and a concave socket was machined along the Y axis to cradle the first tiltable block and a second depression was machined in that block to cradle the second tilting block. The blocks are locked by the "flippers" you see on the sides. Each axis has 2 locks and the locking pressure of both of them is sufficient to hold the workpiece quite rigidly. The tilting blocks were made from one piece of cylindrically ground stock and split into two pieces. In the second photo the vise is holding a piece of keyway stock to simulate a tool bit. The rotatable top has 2 bronze dogs which are trapped by an angular slot (not visible) and locked by tightening the set screws one of which is visible in the second picture in the center of the upper tiltable block. The base originally had a black paint, crinkle finish (like a Kennedy box) which was baked on.

[EDITED TO ADD] In the first picture the block appears to be off scale relative to the 15 degree graduations, but on the opposite side of the fixture the tilt is being registered on another 15 degree scale i.e. each axis has complementary angular scales.

Click image for larger version  Name:	ToolVise.png Views:	0 Size:	374.8 KB ID:	1842254Click image for larger version  Name:	ToolVise2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	450.9 KB ID:	1842255
    Last edited by DATo; 12-08-2019, 07:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Dave C
    replied
    Small lathe, or big diesel?

Leave a comment:

• speedshifter
    replied
    the outer ring from a discarded engine vibration damper from a diesel or gas engine works great for a shop built lathe steady rest.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X