Shop Made Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A use for old band saw blade

Was working on a project from plans and was finding at several stages I needed a quick peek at some of the back pages - first thing I knew I had pages all over, couldnt even find a space to work!! So I hit on this idea- and, it pays off in many other ways I have since found.

Took an old dull 1/2" band saw blade and broke it into cabinet door sized pieces, put a couple screws thru to get them on the door, then with a handful of the little button magnets -- a lot of loose paper clutter was up out of the way.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

• Those magnets are great. My whole workshop is steel-lined so I can stick stuff anywhere on the walls with them
      Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
      Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
      Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

• Here are several tools I have made. The 1st is a small indexing head that I use to cut gears and can do some index milling with a center at the other end witha different mandrel.

I have several indexing plates that I made that are interchangeable.
        I also have several mandrels that allow me to tailor it to specific jobs. I have one that is shorter and has a small 3 jaw chuck on it. They can be changed like the index plates in about 2-3 minutes. The unit has no bearings just rides in a precision bore with a little grease for lube. Has about .0002-.0003 total run out in it.

Here is a micrometer stop I made for my South Bend 9" lathe. It has 1" of travel and is marked off in .001 increments, it seems to be accurate to around .002 in the overall travel, not bad for a cut thread.

Last edited by Mcruff; 09-13-2010, 04:24 PM.

Comment

• I also have an indexing head I made to attach to the spindle of my South Bend 9" lathe that uses the same indexing plates from my indexing fixture pictured above. I use it to broach splines on my lathe.

Here is the results for one of the parts I made. All of this was made on my lathe using the lathe and the indexing hub.

Comment

• For those woodworkers who insist on a razor sharp chisel, I made a leather strop for my Delta Sharpening Center. It consists of a ¼ inch piece of plywood with a piece of leather glued to the top. Four dowels hold it in place from the pressure of a rubber band, which forces the dowels outward, to grip the sides of the underlying stone. I use jewelers rouge as an abrasive. I have been using this one for almost 15 years.

My favorite place to get leather is to scrounge an old leather coat or woman’s handbag from a garage sale.

Comment

• Wow Mcruff. How long does it take to cut those splines? Looks good. Nice job but your arm has to be killing you!

Comment

• Too simple for pictures

I use old small tins that used to contain tuna fish for keeping cutting oil in and a small kids paintbrush cut down.
                The tins are about 3" diameter and 1 /12" high so quite stable.

However that doesn't stop me knocking them off the drill table, back of the vise etc

So I dropped a button magnet in the bottom, now I can even blow off with an airline and the tin stays put.

Like I say so simple but so useful.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

• John

Youre Magnetic Personalloty has no bounds . Good tip. I got one for you Buy Low Sell High. Later Mike

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill Pace
                    Was working on a project from plans and was finding at several stages I needed a quick peek at some of the back pages - first thing I knew I had pages all over, couldnt even find a space to work!! So I hit on this idea- and, it pays off in many other ways I have since found.

Took an old dull 1/2" band saw blade and broke it into cabinet door sized pieces, put a couple screws thru to get them on the door, then with a handful of the little button magnets -- a lot of loose paper clutter was up out of the way.

Is that hexagonal collet closer, cam activated?

Comment

• Stepperhead

I haven't seen Jackary's Stepperhead lathe/mill in this thread so thought I'd add it as it deserves to be here.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=32574

Comment

• Originally posted by Elninio
                        Is that hexagonal collet closer, cam activated?
                        Yes it is, You can get a square and hex 5C collet block for about $20 on ebay, useful. Comes with a cam and a nut closer.
                        Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

• Originally posted by wierdscience
                          Simple as a flat rock,a drill and tap guide.Just a loop of flatbar welded to a threaded rod coupler and milled at 90*.

Comes in handy when multiple threads are to be tapped by hand,also works good for those broke off head bolts that have to be done under the hood.

Expand just a bit on the concept and make a kit to accommodate the 6 most common head and manifold fastener sizes, and the most common spacings. Market it through the trade magazines and the tool trucks.

You may not get rich, but mechanics everywhere will bless you.

Comment

• Low profile Coaxial Indicator

My Haighton (Hardinge UM copy) mill has a very limited space between the vertical head and the table, too small for a Blake type coax indicator, so I made this low profile version

Full story at Mad Modders

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill Pace

A cut out for personal injury lawyers? Are you waiting to sue yourself when you get hurt?
                              Andy

Comment

• This is quite a thread. I don't remember if I have posted here before. When I got my Webb BP Clone mill last year, I needed a tool to rewind the quill spring, the one that holds the spindle part way up. I used a large washer and drilled holes in it to cover the three screws on the spindle bushing while inserting and tightening them. That's the one on the left.

I also needed a tool to remove and tighten the large nut on the end of the spindle. I made one out of another large washer with two hard pins welded in to engage the two holes in the nut. By the way, a real BP as a right-hand thread in the spindle nut while most clones have a left-hand thread. I wondered if this was a political statement. LOL.

These tools would be slightly different on a real BP but they are simple to make.

Quill spring and spindle wrenches.

Later on, after I got the mill up and running, I got tired of going back and forth to a drawer looking for collets, end mill holders and other R8 tools. I came up with a lazy Susan-carousel setup so that I could have all of them right at the mill. This will hold most everything I need. It's got a bushing in the center shaft so that it will turn smoothly. The aluminum discs are 12" in diameter drilled to hold R8's. The tools are held in place with thick aluminum washers and short 7/16-20 bolts. I cover it with a towel to keep the dust off when not in use. Yes, I have plenty of dust in my barn to go around.

Tool carousel.

Last edited by gnm109; 11-12-2010, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X