This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bborr01
    I needed to put a keyway into a sprocket that had a blind hole in it. (not a through hole)

Sure couldn't broach it.

I asked a couple of jouneymen that I was working with and one of them suggested this.

A tool bit of the right size silver soldered to a piece of cold rolled angled at about 1/2 or 1 degree.

Brian

Mill a keyway into the donor holder, that makes it parallel and also gives a step for the end of the tool to butt against and helps prevent it being pushed off.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

• I like it!

Grizzly has handles for cheap

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2010/Main/244

It doesn't say, but the chrome ones are revolving; at least the ones I got were.

I replaced all the triball handles on my J-head and it's a really nioce improvement over the stock non-revolvers, especially when wearing latex gloves.

Originally posted by Frank Ford
      Pretty much from the day I got my Kurt vise, I've used only the little three-pronged speed handle I got from Enco. It's faster by far than the regular handle, it stays on the vise, and I can crank it just as hard if I use two hands.

When I needed to crank the vise quickly and move the jaw a fair distance, I'd simply twirl the handle by sticking a finger against one of the rods up close to the center. But, my arthritis is bad enough these days that it's starting to hurt too much when I do that, so this morning I decided to fix the problem. I made up a little speed knob, reminiscent of the speed knob on Dad's 1954 Buick Roadmaster:

Works better and faster than the ol' forefinger, too.

Comment

• Originally posted by photomankc
        I can't remember what magazine this was out of but I was intrigued by the Modular Dividing Head I saw and got into making it.
        Beautiful work. Could it have been the recent articles in Machinist's Workshop? There's also a similar unit in the Workshop Practice Series "Milling: A Complete Course".

I want to tackle one of these soon. Thanks for the inspiration and the example. Now post ALL the pics you want please!

Dale

Comment

• MT3 tool holder for my Clarkson MKI

Having built a drill bit holder, I needed to be able to sharpen milling tools. I use quite a lot of MT3 stuff. In my assortment of ready made parts, I had a block of home brew ZA12 that I made for a "Tinker" tool and cutter grinder (in progress and made redundent by the Clarkson) and a Mini mill MT3 shaft. The block was allready bored to 30mm, the diameter of the MT3 shaft, and the ZA12 gives a nice sliding fit.

I drilled the block to take 14mm studding so as to be able to mount it to the "universal mount" that I'd made for the Drill sharpener and be able to mount the "fingers"

In the photo, I've allready marked the reference for the not so pretty graduated scale.

I felt that the length of my ZA block was a little short. So I decided to make a locking block that bolted on the end rather than work directly in the ZA12. This was my first split cotter, so I would be free to "goof"! I could n't see any reason not to use split cotters in ZA12, but this way I didn't have to worry!

I bored the "brake" block with the not yet split cotter in place.

I'm only allowed four pictures so I'll continue on another post

Comment

• Morse three tool holder for my Clarkson

The brake block was assembled with the main block using two 8mm allen head screws. I didn't have enough room for four!

It's been pretty damp here, I see I'll have to oil things! The "finger" holder isn't very satifactory yet, but it works! The ball on the ball handle is a softned ball from a bearing!

The only thing I need to make is a draw bar.

Comment

• Bandsaw circle cutting jig.Saw a picture of the Doall factory unit and copied it.I liked the way it rode the upper guide arm instead of being mounted to the table,no need to take it off the machine in normal use and can handle any thickness stock up the the saw's max.

The center of the pivot can be swung in or out so it lines up with the leading edge of the saw teeth.Makes real accurate discs.The 3/4" x 5-1/2" disc in the pic is less than .005" out of round,good enough for me

Last edited by wierdscience; 12-23-2010, 10:10 PM.
              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

• Originally posted by wierdscience
                Bandsaw circle cutting jig.

The center of the pivot can be swung in or out so it lines up with the leading edge of the saw teeth.Makes real accurate discs.The 3/4" x 5-1/2" disc in the pic is less than .005" out of round,good enough for me
                Love it!

Is the lower pin really necessary, if you can adjust the height of the whole assembly?
                "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

• My sincere thanks again to everyone who has taken the time to post in this very interesting, and educational thread.
                  JUST GREAT STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by lazlo
                    Love it!

Is the lower pin really necessary, if you can adjust the height of the whole assembly?
                    On that saw it is,24" Doall,you have to walk around back of the saw to get at the lock knob and crank.Would suck doing multiples that way since the table is 3 feet square

I also left out one detail.That pivot is a hardened piece of O-1,doing metal discs all you need do once the radius is set is slip the work under the point,loosen the knob and give the point a tap with a tack hammer.Instant center punch mark pivot.

Comment

• Circle Cutting Jig

Wierdscience,

Nice job on the jug.

Where did you get the clamp levers?

Brian
                      OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

• Originally posted by bborr01
                        Wierdscience,

Nice job on the jug.

Where did you get the clamp levers?

Brian
                        Oddly enough McMaster,good ones too.The 1/4-20's cost me $6.38 in zinc,Jergens brand even.

Comment

• Originally posted by John Stevenson
                          Mill a keyway into the donor holder, that makes it parallel and also gives a step for the end of the tool to butt against and helps prevent it being pushed off.
                          Hi John,

Good idea on the milling a slot.

I think at the time the journeyman I was working with was probably teaching me how to set up with an indicator for centrality.

I almost always found it best to just take the journeymans advice and not rock the boat, even if I thought I had a better way.

Brian
                          OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

• Originally posted by wierdscience
                            Bandsaw circle cutting jig.Saw a picture of the Doall factory unit and copied it.I liked the way it rode the upper guide arm instead of being mounted to the table,no need to take it off the machine in normal use and can handle any thickness stock up the the saw's max.

Oooh.... love to make something like this for my bandsaw. Any chance of some more pics?

Comment

• Die holder for threading in the lathe

I wanted to replace the cheap plastic screws that lock the dials on my mill as they did not always hold.
                              I made this die holder the other night to thread them.
                              It fits the MT3 adapter shown or can slide on a .025" rod held in a chuck in the tailstock.
                              The small rod can be pushed against the die to start cutting.
                              Should be good for small diameter threads.
                              I need to make a tap holder now.

Terry

Comment

• Terry,

What did u use for your morse taper donor

Comment

Working...
                                X