Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shop Made Tools

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Strokersix:

    Second photo (original post), clamps to fit the block half of the crank mains? Or...

    Comment


    • Russ, Not clamps, just locating off the main bore. With the block sitting on them I added packing and clamps at four corners to restrain the block.

      Comment


      • tools

        here some shop made tools hobs for worm gear










        SNUCE
        Last edited by ssnuce; 02-19-2011, 01:36 PM.

        Comment


        • Home made Cutter?

          Hi ssnuce
          Was you cutter machined from a section of all thread with slots cut in the side????
          That is a very slick cutter and I would like to duplicate it.

          Thanks
          Tom

          Comment


          • acme

            left hand 1 1/4 acme 6- 3/8 slots cut in just below thread depth
            relieved on back side of cutting teeth









            GOOD LUCK SNUCE
            Last edited by ssnuce; 02-20-2011, 04:06 PM.

            Comment


            • What's that black handle in the front of your lathe, in the picture facing the chuck - is a spindle lock handle?

              Comment


              • lathe

                it tighten the belts and lock in place










                snuce

                Comment


                • Originally posted by ssnuce
                  left hand 1 1/4 acme 6- 3/8 slots cut in just below thread depth
                  relieved on back side of cutting teeth
                  SNUCE

                  Does rotation of the cutter mechanically rotate the gear blank
                  (which is free to turn on its arbor shaft)?

                  The lathe operator advances the gear blank into the cutter using the
                  crossfeed to achieve the desired thread depth, correct?

                  .

                  Comment


                  • acme

                    that right it work great






                    snuce

                    Comment


                    • can you cut worm gears in steel that way, effortlessly? I would imagine the harder the material you're cutting, the more backlash the worm gear will have?

                      Comment


                      • A better way to relieve shop made cutters like that is with a ball nose end mill. The curve of the ball nose automatically gives you relief. You have to cut off center to make it work.
                        James Kilroy

                        Comment


                        • SSnuce,
                          Is the acme thread screw as you get it hard enough to cut the steel or do you harden it more after the machining on it is finished? Also, what steel do you use for the gear and do you harden the gear after you cut it?

                          Jack.

                          Comment


                          • Looks like the worm gear is Nylatron to me, not steel. Nice work!

                            Maybe start a new thread for more discussion on this particular tool and gear making? This thread is more for show and tell. Just a thought.

                            Originally posted by Jack F
                            SSnuce,
                            Is the acme thread screw as you get it hard enough to cut the steel or do you harden it more after the machining on it is finished? Also, what steel do you use for the gear and do you harden the gear after you cut it?

                            Jack.
                            Last edited by RKW; 02-21-2011, 12:41 PM.
                            "Work hard. Tell everyone everything you know. Close a deal with a handshake. Have fun!"

                            -- Harold "Doc" Edgerton

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by RKW
                              Looks like the worm gear is Nylatron to me, not steel. Nice work!

                              Maybe start a new thread for more discussion on this particular tool and gear making? This thread is more for show and tell. Just a thought.
                              he already did:

                              http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=46440

                              Comment


                              • Some slitting saw arbors, to fit my 1/2" R8 arbor, made from some dumbbells picked up in a garage sale (for $2).

                                From L to R

                                60x1.0, 60x08 and 40x05mm




                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X