Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• it's hand operated because itse a scale model of something that is usually extremely big

Comment

• I'm curious about the shaper. Is it "just" a working model, or is it capable of doing serious work on small parts? The long handle suggests it might be the latter.

Dave Cameron

Comment

• 3c collect block

Now I need to make a hex one!

Last edited by SMG; 05-01-2012, 11:44 AM.

Comment

• SMG, Nice job, I really like the spanner wrench, very good design.

Jim Connell, DeLand FL.
          Daytona Beach is near us.

You haven’t begun learn until to learn until you learn how little you know.

Comment

• I like it SMG
            Bill in SE Idaho
            With enough time & motivation anything can be fixed

Comment

• Originally posted by bborr01
              Anyone have one of these or care to guess what it is?

I don't have one, but you would probably catch me using it as a sliding hammer center punch (assuming that Gnurled-drill-chuckee-like-device slides)

Regards, Robert

Comment

• Recycled goods

Couple lights I made from found/recycled goods. Have about $3 in the pair. First one was just the magnetic base. By the time I found a long power cord for the second one, I realized I often needed an extra outlet as well as the light. Splurged on the outlet, box, and most expensive--the cord clamp for the wire entry.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert MacVeigh
                  I don't have one, but you would probably catch me using it as a sliding hammer center punch (assuming that Gnurled-drill-chuckee-like-device slides)

Regards, Robert
                  It's for center punching through the middle of an existing hole?

Comment

• A precision spring centre.
                    The MT3 shank was drilled and reemed.
                    All clearances were close to provide no detectable backlash.

Dazz

Comment

• what was it originally, a drillchuck adaptor? was it hard to machine?

Comment

Regards, Robert
                        It's a transfer punch, I have a couple of them, Enco and others still sell them.
                        Stick the taper in the hole and smack the pin with a hammer. Fits lots of hole sizes instead of having to have an assortment of transfer punches.

Here's one from KBC Tools, bottom right hand corner of the page.

http://kbctools.com/usa/Navigation/N...fm?PDFPage=853
                        Last edited by RetiredFAE; 05-18-2012, 10:40 PM.
                        Steve
                        NRA Life Member

Comment

• Originally posted by dian
                          what was it originally, a drillchuck adaptor? was it hard to machine?
                          Hello

Yes, it was a cheap $3 drill chuck adapter. I tempered to blue in the kitchen oven. After that it was good to machine.

Dazz

Comment

Regards, Robert
                            Yes I do have this, it is a wonderful tool to use during layout because it takes so little force to transfer the center as well as it being dead center from the cone shape.

Comment

• 3 jaw chuck on a tail stock

A few weeks ago I machined this adapter so I could use a 3 jaw chuck on the tail stock of the Grizzly lathe.

The 3 jaw chuck came with the old Atlas lathe. It is handy for number of things such as holding a die to do some power threading, as well larger than 1/2" shanks like those on a 1 inch reamer.

The chuck has a straight hole for mounting and a roll pin as a key. On the 3rd picture, near the top, you can just barely see the key way I cut into the shaft that the chuck mounts onto. The chuck slides onto the shaft with a somewhat tight sliding fit.

I used a pair of cotters to clamp the adapter to the tail stock of the lathe. I like using cotters despite the extra effort to fabricate them. They seem to grip very well, though I haven't really pushed this set-up yet. On the positive side, if I screw up and really snag something it will spin on the tail stock and not rip everything to pieces.

The holes in the jaws of the chuck are tapped so that a ball bearing can be attached the jaw. With 3 bearing installed this makes a small steady rest for machining slender rods. I can't claim the last idea as it was set up that way when the chuck was used on the Atlas lathe which I purchase from a friend many years ago.

gordon

Comment

• I guess it's a "tool" if you use it in your work...........Aircraft towbar.

I bought the tube, rest is from the scrap box.

Comment

Working...
                                X