No announcement yet.

Shop Made Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This item was used to set a zero point with the height gage.

Comment

• Originally posted by tinkertoy41 View Post
      This item was used to set a zero point with the height gage.
      Yes, I'm aware of this. However the base above is 1.5" and it works with an add on base that is 1.0" and with the 2 together, there is less than 1/2" of adjustment. It seems to have been made for a very specific situation.

Comment

• I often need to machine flat parts that aren't huge, but don't easily fit in the mill vise. My solution was to make a platform the straddles the vise, but is clamped and held by the vise. It has 1/4-20 tapped holes and uses shoulder bolts to locate and toe clamps to hold the parts.

Comment

• Very cool idea. I feel another project coming on...

Is the plate steel, or aluminum, or ? Did you make the toe clamps? They look to be 1/2 x 1/2, yes?
          Last edited by wawoodman; 11-06-2012, 11:18 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by wawoodman View Post
            Very cool idea. I feel another project coming on...

Is the plate steel, or aluminum, or ? Did you make the toe clamps? They look to be 1/2 x 1/2, yes?
            The plate is 1/2" aluminum, I think it had a previous life and there were some holes in it that were worked around. The toe clamps are 1/2 X 1/2 stainless, because I had some. There are some close ups of them in post 1806 and 1807.

The nice thing about this platform is that it's quick to change. No need to pull the vise, or move the vise jaws to the outward positions.
            Last edited by Harvey Melvin Richards; 11-06-2012, 11:59 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Harvey Melvin Richards View Post
              I often need to machine flat parts that aren't huge, but don't easily fit in the mill vise. My solution was to make a platform the straddles the vise, but is clamped and held by the vise. It has 1/4-20 tapped holes and uses shoulder bolts to locate and toe clamps to hold the parts.
              I love that idea, I spend way too much time moving the two movable vise jaws from the front to the back to accommodate material larger than 9" in the Y direction. But then I would fill it with holes when drilling and tapping... more to ponder.

John
              My Web Site

Comment

• A email from HSM on machining a Bench Block got me off my chair and out to the shop to build one. I have had a couple of chunks of steel on the self for some time now and decided to use one. 4 1/2 inch by 1 5/8 inch almost too large for my small equipment. using the tilt table I made a few years back and my small Grizzly mill I got started cutting the groove.

Drilled some holes, will probably need more but will when needed.

I recessed the bottom just enough to allow it to set flat on a level surface

Here I tried something new to me. I used some black patina from my stained glass shop to give it a dark look. we will see how that works

Should be a useful tool.
                Mel

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
                Oregon Coast

Comment

• What do you do with it?

John
                  My Web Site

Comment

• Well so far John, that sheet of paper it's setting on in the last photo has not moved a bit.) The big boys say it can be used to hold rods in the V to drill or machine. Could be used to drive out pins into the holes on it. I am hoping that I will find all sorts of uses for it.
                    Mel

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
                    Oregon Coast

Comment

• Nice bench block Luggie !!! I made one too many years ago and I still use it. If I had it to do again I would have made it square or rectangular though ... or at least having parallel milled flats on either side of the bottom so it could be held in a vise. Often, when trying to knock out (or in) a pressed pin the dang thing bounces around with each hammer stroke. EDIT: Another thing you might do is add some tapped holes to the top and make a simple slotted clamp to able to hold a piece firmly in the V when trying to drill or knock pins in to keep the workpiece from twisting out of 90 degrees with each hit.
                      Last edited by DATo; 11-11-2012, 06:43 AM.

Comment

• I have heard of people making soft bench blocks out of hockey pucks. I have never even held one, so I have no idea how well they would work. I do have a round of UHMW about the size of a small Starrett bench block, and I plan to make a soft block out of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Harvey Melvin Richards View Post
                          soft bench blocks ... I do have a round of UHMW about the size of a small Starrett bench block, and I plan to make a soft block out of it.
                          Brownells sells a pretty blue UHMW one: http://www.brownells.com/search/inde...lock&ksubmit=y

I see they now also sell 1911 blocks with square sides, something they didn't offer before, IIRC.

Comment

• Lathe Carriage Tool:
                            I made a Micro-Adjustable carriage stop, with dial indicator.

They can work independently or together.

I made it primarily for threading.
                            Since the thread cutting lubricant piles up in the relief and you can’t see where to throw the half nut. So I set it when the dial comes around to to zero at the .300. Timing is everything.
                            Obviously you wouldn’t use the carriage stop part for threading

Last edited by Ron of Va; 04-21-2013, 10:41 AM.

Comment

• Shop made angle cutter for my band saw...

John
                              Last edited by BigJohnT; 11-14-2012, 09:42 AM.
                              My Web Site

Comment

• Nice project, what make of bandsaw?

Comment

Working...
                                X