X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jim2
    • Feb 2006

Originally posted by challenger View Post
    Really nice work. Would you have any interest I making and selling any of these holders next time you do a "batch"? I know I can get some imports cheap but I'd like to get some usa made holders without spending 5X as much as imports. Can't hurt to ask[emoji2].
    Merry Christmas all!

Galaxy S4, Slimkat
    If I wasn't married I'd quit fishing
    I'm flattered that you would ask that, but no--not interested. I didn't say how long it took me! Let's just say, I'm no Brian Rupnow, and leave it at that.

Jim

Comment

• brian Rupnow
      • Mar 2008

Jim2--I hope that was a compliment.--Merry Christmas.--Brian Rupnow
      Brian Rupnow
      Design engineer
      Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• DATo
        • May 2011

Jim2 (tool blocks) and Bob Rodgerson (adjustable angle plate) - My compliments to you both on fine examples of HSM projects. I could have used that angle plate the other day. We have one but it weighs a ton so I just figured out another way to do the job which was not as secure but thankfully worked. That tool block design makes threading a snap - "Why the hell didn't I think of that!?" (the mantra of all untalented designers) *LOL*

Hey, by the way guys .... MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!!

Comment

• Jim2
          • Feb 2006

Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
          Jim2--I hope that was a compliment.--Merry Christmas.--Brian Rupnow
          Absolutely, Brian. I am continually amazed at the sheer volume, not to mention the quality of the work that you do--an inspiration to us all.

Also, thanks for the kind words, DATo.

Happy Holidays,

Jim

Comment

• jeep534
            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by ironnut View Post
            I have went through all 133 pages of the postings and there is a wealth of information here. Some of the items are flat incredible and kudos to their makers. Mine is much more modest though I find it quite handy.

I don't know if power tapper is the correct term for this tool and the tool certainly is not original with me. Previously I made a version of this to hold the little 1" diameter dies and I finally got around to making the tap version. I re-purposed the black anodized handle. Many years ago the handle was being discarded at work and being the pack-rat I am I hauled it home. Sadly they don't make physical stuff any more at work, just software.

The handle played hide and seek around my shop for quite some time and recently it was discovered again. It seemed the perfect item for the power tapper. I had some cheap import tap handles so I made a steel plug, bored a hole in it and pressed the tap handle into the plug. Then I pressed the plug into the end of the black handle. The other end of the handle had internal threads which turned out to be 18 threads per inch, the same as a coarse thread for a 5/16 inch bolt.

I cheated in cutting the threads on the bronze plug that is threaded into the handle. I tapped a 5/16-18 thread in a small plug of steel (~3/8" diameter) and pressed it into the bronze part. Incidentally the bronze part was also re-purposed. It was a hydro-dynamic bearing for a 5 1/4 inch disk drive that HP used to make years ago, and its original shape was not a great deal different than the finished part in the photo.

With the threaded plug in the bronze part, I chucked the bronze plug into my little lathe (See my previous post on scratch built lathes). I threaded a 6 inch long piece of 5/16-18 all-thread into the plug and attached the other end to a bracket on the lathe carriage. Now as the part rotated in the lathe's headstock it would pull or push the carriage. I put a threading bit into the quick change tool holder and dialed in a .010" cut and turned the lathe motor on real slow and cut the threads. Stop, back out the bit, reverse the motor, then take another .010" cut and repeat until I got my threads cut. Granted the threads aren't very deep but they didn't need to be. I pressed out the threaded plug, bored and reamed the hole to 1/2" in the bronze plug. I added a keeper to the one end of a piece of 1/2 rod.

To use it, you chuck it into into the tail stock and insert a tap. 1/4" tap is about the max. Position the tail stock and start the lathe up, low speed, grab the handle and insert the tap into the hole to be threaded. You can easily feel if the tap is binding or working too hard and just let go of the handle. Reverse the lathe to clean things out and repeat.

I really like this if I were to do this this is what I would do
            Happy Hunting
            archie

Comment

• MattiJ
              • Dec 2016

Some lathe and milling machine toolings:

To make new threaded insert for lathe half-nut:

Hack-a-day internal grooving tool for mgmn insert:

Comment

• dian
                • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Andre3127 View Post
                Cylindrical grinding spin fixture in progress. For use on the surface grinder.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
                how is that going to work?

Comment

• jeep534
                  • Jan 2007

Originally posted by MichaelP View Post
                  This is a steady rest used on a surface grinder to support smaller items (pins, drills, etc.) being ground. It minimizes vibration and bouncing quite efficiently.

I really Like that indexer

(tool envy)

Comment

• Andre3127
                    • Apr 2016

Originally posted by dian View Post
                    how is that going to work?
                    It's a ball bearing spindle set precisely horizontal over the base. The part to be ground is attached to the front and rotated on the spindle of the fixture, while the grinding wheel of the surface grinder grinds the part.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Kolacek
                      • Nov 2015

hello
                      here is my christmass project.
                      two sets of flaring tools for brakelines. 4,75mm DIN "bubleflare" and 3/16 SAE "doubleflare".

Comment

• gambler
                        • Jun 2009

nice
                        san jose, ca. usa

Comment

• fixerdave
                          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Kolacek View Post
                          hello
                          here is my christmass project.
                          two sets of flaring tools for brakelines. 4,75mm DIN "bubleflare" and 3/16 SAE "doubleflare".
                          I'd really like more info on these. I hate using my flaring tool.

Why does what looks like the relief cut for the line being flared not go all the way through? Wouldn't that crush the line?

Inquiring minds and all that,

David...
                          http://fixerdave.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Kolacek
                            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by fixerdave View Post
                            I'd really like more info on these. I hate using my flaring tool.

Why does what looks like the relief cut for the line being flared not go all the way through? Wouldn't that crush the line?

Inquiring minds and all that,

David...
                            Hello
                            It was picture taken before final trim. Finished tool has through hole 4.7mm suitable for both flavors of tubing.

Tool was made from matched pieces.drilled and screwed together. Then drilled cavity with thread M12x1,25 , form and clamp.

Hope I answred well. More photos can be added.

Comment

• _Paul_
                              • Jun 2011

AXA Toolholder Rack

Had to make this to store the extra AXA holders I made:

Paul

Comment

• thaiguzzi
                                • Apr 2012

Very nice Paul. I'll have to make more tool holders to catch up...
                                What's the oil dripper to the left of the Boxford headstock for?

Comment

Working...
                                X