No announcement yet.

Tire burning stove for workshop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't really think this is a good idea at all, but if I had to do it... I would build a container you could put several ground up tires in and seal. You would then heat the container with a burner using natural gas at first. The gases evolved from the container would be used as fuel to continue the process until the tires were consumed. Even done this way emissions would be awful. But it would be better than burning the tires directly in air.

Comment

I'm probably just pulling some dumb idea out of the air, but isn't there, in this year of 2003, a chemical, an acid, or a process that would dissolve the rubber into a form that's reusable? Apart from grinding it up, that is, not that there's anything wrong with making roads out of it. I know that recycling almost anything is more expensive than creating the product in the first place, but when there's a problem to be solved, like what to do with 40,000,000,000 old tires, hmm.
      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

I was walking thru the old historic homes district the other day, past a house that was having the slate roof replaced. The crew was on a lunch break so I stopped to talk awhile. They told me the 'slate' shingles they were putting on were made of old tires. They looked very good. A little more shiney than natural slate, but I'd guess they'll lose some of the sheen after a year or so. Priced at over $300/square.

Also, while watching the Ala vs Ole Miss football game this weekend, the announcers were discussing Ole Miss's new artificial playing field. The said it was made of shredded old tires. This was said to be much more plush and softer than the old artificial surfaces. (About $750M)
        Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

This sounds like a perfect opportunity to experiment with getting these things to burn cleanly. Maybe burn them slowly, like in a kind of retort and run the stack through a water filter. See what settles out.

Comment

I cannot find it now but I once had a link to a web site about using tires to create fuel oil. The process involve heating, not burning, the tires and condensing the fumes given off thus creating an oil that was said to be good as heating oil.

------------------
            Paul G.
            Paul G.

Comment

not that there's anything wrong with making roads out of it.

I read a newspaper artical several years ago about a road that was paved using old tires in the mix. The road caught fire and burned (smoldered) for several days.

Comment

Cutting the grooves in the road during repaving..

the sorry GOVT contractors, as you drive over that, your tires heat up, grind off, melt into the pavement, then when they put the pavement back down they have more then they took up..

YOUR wore out tires are not thier concern.

David..

Hit them on a motorcycle for a real thrill. (ribbed tires are worse).

Comment

Ok, now I'm looking for a map that shows all the roads to avoid driving on. I didn't know that about recycled tires in asphalt. I guess those roads need to be 'retired'.
                  My usual overactive imagination has come up with another idea- heat sand to the vaporizing point, along with the old tires, and whip the resulting gaseous mixture into a vortex, then condense that mix by introducing steam at very high temp (but lower than the vaporized mixture's temp). The steam has to be given a high static charge. Cool the result by spraying it through a spinning magnetic field, into which sunlight is focussed to an amazingly brightness level, onto a water-cooled drum. Oh heck, why not cool the drum externally, by spraying liquid methane on it, just before the other mixture hits it. Oh, I almost left out another important ingredient, salt. Maybe some pepper, too.
                  I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Actually,

I was thinking of a thick walled refractory, one of the 1 1/2 hp blowers pid controlled with exhaust and intake throttle controls. Maybe a oxygen sensor off a old car..

I have several hundred tires. Plenty more to be had for free. Something about the coming heat bills for a 40x80 shop have me interested.

If I could get the emissions down to a light black smoke.. I'd be interested. Perhaps downdraft? through the ash? Heated intake? Throttled air injection into the stack? secondary burner?

So far nothing seems plausible. Plenty of these tires have excellent tread. I have been looking for a enterprising person to sell them.

David

Comment

Ibew I am sure there is a safe way of doing it out there question is can it be done cheaply enough to make it worthwhile.I think there would be plenty of heat produced no question but quite how you would get the exhaust gasses dealt with that could be expensive.I think there must be an ingenious way of using old car tires.(spelt the American way).I read once about a company who took them out to sea and chucked them overboard ,seemingly the fish love to have them for a secure environment and thrive around them has anyone else heard of this Alistair
                      Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Where I live you can hardly smoke a good cigar outside with out the fire dept. coming over and telling you to put it out or they will and charge you $200.00. That would really make their day, burn a few car tires. I would make the front page of the paper with a stunt like that. By the way, a good cigar is a Cuban one that I sneak in from Canada when ever I go there. I can,t buy em here.

Comment

Reusing tires in asphalt ya thats been done,but did you know that a lot of your newer ultra high mile warranty tire include rubber from recycled tires?

I know of a guy down at the local Nasa facility who was heading up a project to freeze tire chunks so they could be ground up more effeicently,according to him the recycled tire rubber when added to the new tire mix increased the life cycle of the tire as much as 50%,something to do with having already been treated before.

Anyway they were trying to use lox in a cooling jacket to freeze the tires-uh what happens when you guys get a leak?Oh,look for the mushroom cloud

I think they finally solved the problem by using a heat exchanger system that used the lox to re-liquify co2 and only the co2 was used in the freezer.
                          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

The trick is to get the smoke to burn completely. Enclosing the tires, heating them, then burning the smoke, seems to be a reasonable way. A propane assisted start seems reasonable. If the tires are burned in a chamber where the inner part is a ceramic or whatever, firebrick, and the outer is a steel shell, that should take care of the temperature problem, allowing them to burn very hot without having a housing meltdown. The volume of firebrick may be chosen to give enough thermal mass to keep temperatures high enough inside to allow intermittent fueling with fresh tyres. (oops, some english snuck in there). I would arrange a blower, and also a secondary combustion. The output from the blower could be split in two, with one airstream going to the lower unit, one going to the secondary burner, which could be propane assisted, or could be done with high voltage. One air gate in front of the blower would adjust the flow rate, and two gates after the blower would let you divide the flow between primary and secondary burners. Maybe the motor could be controlled for total airflow rate, depends on the motor and controller. If going the high voltage route, an experiment is needed in order to determine what voltage is required to cause current to flow in the exhaust stream. It's possible to lower the voltage requirement by seeding the furnace with salts, a flue-cleaning powder would probably work for this. A large quantity wouldn't be needed, just a small 'dusting' into the secondary burner. The resulting arc through the smoke could reach extremely high temperatures, requiring the 'burn chamber' to be cooled, possibly by circulating the secondary airflow around that section, before it enters the chamber. Heat from this secondary burner would be extracted into the room with a standard heat exchanger, or passively through a suitable length of stovepipe. This all sounds a lot more involved than a simple burner, but it's not rocket science. One problem I can see immediately is if the fan stops, say a power failure, when the chamber is hot. You might have to be able to contain a super hot liquid rubber running down the walls of the housing, into the base, hopefully not backing up into the air inlet. You also may need to protect from a possible backfire out the inlet. Another concern is when you open the door to refuel, you could get a backfire.

Comment

Alistair,

Yes I have seen fish habitat constructed from old tires. The bass fishing enthusiasts out in the Pacific Northwest would construct a frame made from rebar and then attach old tires to it and place it out in a manmade lake or reservoir.

Bernard

Comment

So.. that is what they did in "BLACK BOTTOM", a local fishing hole.... the tires on the bottom made it look yep.. black.. I always thought the name came from the BLACK neighbor hood it was in.. I remember my stepdad losing a hundred hooks and sinkers there....

They burn carpet scraps in a boiler locally. They smoke pretty good since the glue is latex.

I'll think on it for a bit.. I got so many things going it may get shoved aside.

Comment

Working...
                                X