Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newby-subscribe to which?

Hi,

I'm somewhat new to machining and find that I have a growing hunger for info relating to machining. I've recently purchased a 9 inch South Bend lathe and have been out in the shop ever since.

My question to those who are experienced in the machining industry or hobby end, "Which would be the most appropriate publication for a beginner, Home Shop Machinist or Machinist's Workshop". I want to subscribe to both but, money is tight and I have only reviewed one old issue of HSM that I purchased on Ebay. Is Machinist's Workshop a more advanced magazine?

Any recommendations?

Any info will be greatly appreciated,

Thank You for reading this post,

John Bobeda

I think HSM, probably. I would also suggest you see if you can find a few books. My all-time favorite lathe book is "The Amateur's Lathe," By L.H. Sparey. It's English and may be hard to find, but I think it's still in print.

Closer to home, get South Bend's "How to Run a Lathe" from Lindsay Publications. They have a lot of other machining books as well. I've personally found that I don't get a lot out of their older machining book reprints, but you may find some of them interesting.

If you can find a local club in your area, or fellow metalworker (preferably one who knows more than you do), join or make the connection. When I started out I was totally on my own, and it all got a WHOLE lot easier when I hooked up with some other people and could learn from them.
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

The book The Amateur's Lathe by L.H. Sparey is available from gunsmith supplier Brownells. www.brownells.com

Comment

Thank You all for your replys to my inquiry about subscribing to which magazine Home Shop Machinist or Machinist's WorkShop.

I sent in my subscription to Home Shop Machinist yesterday. I only wish that I could get some info about Machinist's Workshop. I've sent emails to the publisher about both publications, but have not really gotten them to respond to the point that I was able to understand which magazine offers what.

You would think that they could just state what level each magazine targets. so that I could have worked it out for myself. If these magazine were available at my local magazine stand for perusing, I would not have resorted to these emails.

I have several books on machine operation and they are helpful.

I have the following books.
        : The Amateur's Lathe
        Milling in the Lathe
        The Small Lathe
        How to run a lathe
        Machine shop Methods
        and several of Gingery's books on building machine tools. Mostly, thanks to Lindsay Publications and a couple of British bookstores!

Thanks again for the info, if anyone can think of any other books that I should include in my library, feel free to let me know. I'm aware of Machinery's Handbook and guide, just beyond my budget right now.

John Bobeda
        Here in sunny California,
        pondering what might be
        included in Machinist's Workshop!(;> )

Comment

John, I subscribe to both magazines, enjoy one as much as the other. The MW may be a little more technical, but I'm not really sure. Bobby

Comment

Check used book stores for a copy of "Machine Tool Practices" by Kibbe, Neely, Meyer and White (Prentice Hall, Pub.). It's an excellent college text which would be a useful addition to any machinist's library.

Comment

Hi, Newby!
              I'm editor of both magazines, and I would suggest that if you're indeed tight on funds you should look first to Machinist's Workshop. The articles we publish there are for the most part less complex and tend to lean more toward the novice machinist. The projects are generally complete in one issue, whereas The Home Shop Machinist leans more toward the more sophisticated machinist. The articles there are generally serialized. For example, the May/June issue had Part 1 of a three-part series on a tilt body indexer -- a difficult construction series on a complex machine accessory. In the same issue, we featured Part 2 of a tapping machine, Part 3 of a construction series on building a horizontal milling and boring machine, and Part 7 of a free pendulum clock -- very advanced projects. HSM is often, but not always, like that, but I would certainly recommend for starters Machinist's Workshop.
              Joe

Comment

Try and find a machinist or tool and die guy who likes to teach and you will be set. I know - they are few in number but when you run into them treasure them they are valuable. I started in the trade in my late 30's and now work with guys who have more experience than I am old - am learning tons and still want more too!

Comment

John screap up the money to sucribe to both magazines. You will be glad you did. The magazines complent each other and you will learn a lot from each. Frank B. McClain

------------------

Comment

Like you, I'm newly involved in home machining. I've found that some of the best material is published outside the USA.

The best "textbook" on machining I've found is relatively unknown in the USA: It is an Australian book: "Fitting and Machining", edited by Ron Culley, published by RMIT Publishing, Melbourne. This 640 page book gives both an overview of machinery, and also highly specific instructions - such as how to set up a workpiece in a four-jaw chuck.

An excellent British magazine is "Model Engineers' Workshop", full-color, and often containing series of articles for beginners.

Comment

This is an old one! For what it's worth I think Joe's advice is still the best.
                      To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

Comment

I read both... sometimes I go by Barnes and noble and buy the British mags as well... They are a different perspective, a hoot to read, and not expensive to buy. Sit and have some coffee while you read.

Enjoy..

-- jr
                        dvideo

Comment

John,

Where are you located? I am in Sacramento, CA. There is a machining group here but I lost track of them and have not been able to find them since. Post on the Networking forum and see if there is anyone local.

Michael

Comment

Did you notice when this thread was first started?
                            To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Around here (VA) the big box bookstores usually carry both mags -- that's where I discovered them. Now I subscribe to both (+ Live Steam, which is _really_ off the deep end & helps convince my wife of my relative sanity) & wouldn't want to do without either. After 25+ yrs of metalworking, it's fascinating to learn a different approach.

Not to mention the fact that most of these folks are even bigger tool junkies than I am....

Comment

Working...
                              X