No announcement yet.

Cracked software trade???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, Evan and I are gonna disagree again...

I have Norton at work, and have seen no slow-down.

I have McAfee at home as I write, and I have seen no slowdown here either after installing it.

In both places the settings are set to essentially "attack dog", in that all the scanning possible is set up.

And, I am quite happy with them, as in combo with Zonealarm Pro (not the bogus freeware version) they have prevented several baddies from entering the system.

I guess it just depends...maybe a fast disk is making the problem go away.

BTW, this computer has a Celeron "800mHz", not the full chip, so it should be worse than most...it ain't.

Comment

Oso,

If you have the version of McAfee with the "screen scan" feature (under screen saver settings) make sure it is turned off. Just about the dumbest "feature" I have ever seen. The hard drive never gets to rest.

If you are happy with the performance, fine. I can tune a PC so that my customers say WOW! Trouble with that is a lot of them were about to buy a new one 'cause they were so fed up with the performance of the old one.
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Evan

I have to disagree as well. I run Systemworks 2004 and cannot even notice a slowdown (until some knob attacks my computer). It does not even slow down real power sucking games like UT 2003 or Quake 3 Arena @ 1600x1280 res - but then I don't use Intel chips in my computer - just good stuff!

Comment

I can't remember the last time I sold an Intel processor. Sorry, but I see serious perfomance hits with Norton. Also the Norton uninstaller doesn't. Also, the latest version of systemworks isn't compatible with Outlook Express. HUH??

Comment

Evan:
            ... Also the Norton uninstaller doesn't.

Boy, you got that one right. That really pisses me off. I had to edit the registry to get rid of a few imploded Norton installs on friends computers.

I find the best method is to "Ghost" the whole system back on - faster, far less annoying. One of my friends is a compete computer retard and constantly loads conflicting programs and what not on his computer (willy nilly like).

I have been planning on buying a 300Gb Maxtor to back up my RAID drives - I have given up on tape as I can't justify an AIT-2 drive and DLT is just as ridiculous price wise - even wholesale.

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 10-23-2003).]

Comment

Yeah, after an uninstall then you search the registry for the couple of hundred remaining references to Symantec etc.

300GB, serial ATA or USB 2.0 I presume. I love storage capacity. BUT, I have 5 outbuildings and maybe a couple of gigapieces of junk and I can't find "it" when I need "it". How in hell am I going to find what I have on a terabyte drive? Exabyte? Petabyte? I think I'll retire from this business in about ten years when maybe they finally develop a real AI than can whisper in my ear "That's your wife, you had eggs for breakfast, just the way you like them".

Comment

My home network is out of control... Video files do it to you... almost 1200G and it does not feel like too much space. To backup, I cross store images on different drives. How do you reasonably archive?

--jr
                dvideo

Comment

Same way. Batch file that runs at night, copying gigabytes from one computer to another.

Comment

Working...
                  X