Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roller bearing fit???

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Roller bearing fit???

    Having to bore out a bunch of steel wheels for a kiddie train at the local railroad museum where I volunteer...installing 2.250 diameter tapered roller bearings...can anyone help me with the proper bore diameter for this? There has to be some clearance so you can get the bearing race back out if you had to...but I don't know where to find out how much clearance to allow. Appreciate any help! / video_man

  • #2
    Any help?


    http://www.maintenanceresources.com/...ings/rbshf.htm

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Limy Sami
      Thanks, the info there serves to show that "nothing is ever easy"! But I didn't find any data or formula to say how big a bore to make..thanks for pointing out the site, it does have a lot of other info..../video_man

      Comment


      • #4
        I don't have an easy answer but I remember finding fit sizes in the mfg catalogs based on bearing size and type. Maybe the Timken catalog on line..............

        Steve

        Comment


        • #5
          Cups in that OD range +.000/-.0015"Even if you bore them in .002" oversize it's nothing a dab of loctite won't fix.

          If they ever need to be removed for replacement a quick pass around the race with a MIG gun will shrink them out.
          I just need one more tool,just one!

          Comment


          • #6
            Bore so that it is just a light push with your thumbs at room temp and as good old WS said, loctite
            eddie
            please visit my webpage:
            http://motorworks88.webs.com/

            Comment


            • #7
              Have you checked "Machinery's" or Audel's Millwright's book?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Video Man
                There has to be some clearance so you can get the bearing race back out if you had to...but I don't know where to find out how much clearance to allow. Appreciate any help! / video_man
                Nope... With bearings the rotating part is always a interference fit..

                The specs for a rotating outer housing 50-80mm in size with an N7 fit (normal loads) is -9 to -39 microns
                Precision takes time.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Video Man, if you will give the bearing # and race # I will look them up in my bearing catalogs and give you the specs.
                  It's only ink and paper

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Having a fit

                    Originally posted by Video Man
                    Having to bore out a bunch of steel wheels for a kiddie train at the local railroad museum where I volunteer...installing 2.250 diameter tapered roller bearings...can anyone help me with the proper bore diameter for this? There has to be some clearance so you can get the bearing race back out if you had to...but I don't know where to find out how much clearance to allow. Appreciate any help! / video_man
                    The OP had pretty well specified a light clearance fit - "some clearance" just about says it all.

                    Seems to be a "Loctite" job as said, so I'd suggest the required bore size = bearing size +0.0005/+0.002".

                    I am surprised that he didn't specify the inner race "fit" as well as removal of one race pretty well suggests the other is a similar fit.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Carld
                      Video Man, if you will give the bearing # and race # I will look them up in my bearing catalogs and give you the specs.
                      Thank you, they are 15578 cone, 15520 cup. And a big thanks to you and everyone who replied, really appreciate your interest, guys!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by oldtiffie
                        The OP had pretty well specified a light clearance fit - "some clearance" just about says it all.
                        I am surprised that he didn't specify the inner race "fit" as well as removal of one race pretty well suggests the other is a similar fit.
                        Using the same bearing on both side, this will be like a trailer axle, sort of. I remember doing wheel bearing replacements on my Ford in the 70's, a drift punch would knock out the inner races if you took your time, so am figuring there's a light fit there... thanks for your reply! /video_man

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          When I remove roller bearing cups assuming replacement the easiest method is to run a bead of weld around the bearing face.The heat expands the housing bore slightly and the contraction stress of the weld shrinks the race to a point they nearly fall out.

                          This method also works on ball bearing races stuck in blind bores.
                          I just need one more tool,just one!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            15520 cup 2.2500" OD--.5313" wide--bore size -.0010" to .0000" that means you want the bore no more than .001" undersize.

                            15578 cone 1.0000" ID--cone length .6875"--fit on shaft +.0005" to .0000" that means the shaft can be .0000" to .0005" oversize.

                            Overall width of cone/bearing assembly--.6875
                            It's only ink and paper

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Carld
                              15520 cup 2.2500" OD--.5313" wide--bore size -.0010" to .0000" that means you want the bore no more than .001" undersize.

                              15578 cone 1.0000" ID--cone length .6875"--fit on shaft +.0005" to .0000" that means the shaft can be .0000" to .0005" oversize.

                              Overall width of cone/bearing assembly--.6875
                              Thanks a million,Carld, much appreciated! /video_man

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X