Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HF 6" Tool Grinder - Owner Satisfaction ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HF 6" Tool Grinder - Owner Satisfaction ?

I am interested in hearing from owners of the Harbour Freight
    6" Tool and Carbide Grinder (46727-0VGA). This grinder has been
    discussed here in the past (Tool Grinder 2005.01.02), but only by
    folks who have just received the unit.

Has the machine proven to be trouble-free and suitable for the
    purpose?

Does it come with iron or aluminum tables now (the online manual
    suggests they are aluminum)? Are recent models uniformly
    green (including the motor) as shown in the advertisment
    or some other colour scheme as shown in the manual?

Did you continue to use the OEM wheels or change them out
    in favour of AO &/or diamond replacements? Any tips regarding
    replacement wheel sizing or grit?

The wheels are very hard to find for grinding HSS. J&L had them.
    Do what Harold suggests over on Chaski... Ah heck, let me pdf it for you...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3569389/Grinder1.pdf.pdf
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3569389/Grinder2.pdf.pdf
    Last edited by RB211; 01-29-2010, 05:47 PM.

Comment

I bought one many years ago. I have no idea what material is used for the tables today.

The stock wheels are useless. I have a Diamond on one side for Carbide and a CBN on the other for HSS. There is no choice in wheel diameter, only the thickness of the coating, thicker is more expensive. I have 1/8" thickness on both. I don't remember the grit or concentration, been a long time, but I expect it was medium. It has had weekly use for at least 10 years, no problem.

DJ

Comment

A 6" wheel for a 1-1/4" arbour is specified. IIRC, there was a comment
        in the 2005 thread about difficulty locating suitable wheels, but a quick
        check today seems to indicate this is not too big an obstacle.

Enco has diamond wheels on pg 260 here. They have silicon carbide and
        aluminum oxide wheels here on pg 253

Comment

Originally posted by mechanicalmagic
          I bought one many years ago. I have no idea what material
          is used for the tables today.
          Your tables are iron?

Originally posted by mechanicalmagic
          The stock wheels are useless.
          Your's were green (SC)? What material are you shaping? HSS, carbide ...

Comment

Originally posted by EddyCurr
            Your tables are iron?

Your's were green (SC)? What material are you shaping? HSS, carbide ...

Yes, I have iron tables.
            Yes, the wheels were green, and I assume SC.
            Free to anybody that wants them, they aren't even good for sharpening TIG electrodes.

I use the diamond wheel for Carbide, and hone HSS by spinning the wheel with my thumb. The diamond is smoother than the CBN. CBN is HSS only.

DJ

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Have one and use it to shape and sharpen HSS I used the green wheels for a few years.. they will cut HSS but it's slow to shape new tools from a blank. However it will put a keen edge on for touch up. Mine has cast iron tables and is green in color. It's worked fine right out of the box. I did pick up a AO wheel from JTS Machinery & Supply it was a direct swap... some have mentioned having to mod the wheel of the guards with other brands.

http://www.jtsmach.com/jtswebshop/asp/home.asp
                Wow... where did the time go. I could of swore I was only out there for an hour.

Comment

I bought one two weeks ago, table is still made of cast Iron.

PaulG

Comment

I have one. I don't like it. Sure it spins, but the motor is very poorly made. I paid $100 for it a few years ago. I should have waited and got a old Baldor or Dayton.

Comment

I'm satisfied with mine. The tables and hinge works need work to move smoothly and the green rocks need to be replaced. Mine is very smooth in operation.

Comment

Mine runs great, I didn't even bolt it down since it vibrates so little. The only thing wrong is the green concrete wheels that come with it.

Replaced them with an AO wheel from Wholesale Tools.
                        The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

I bought one about a year ago. My tables are cast iron and the wheels were concrete as far as I could tell. I bought two good green wheels and one white wheel and used them for a while then replaced the green wheel with a diamond wheel from CDCO and it was the best thing I did.

Mine works just fine after a few modifications.
                          It's only ink and paper

Comment

I've had mine about two years and rightly or wrongly, use it the way it came to touch up both carbide and HS bits with no problems.

My tables are both cast iron. The watering thingy is useless in my opinion. The switch I have is poor design because it's possible to turn it on in either direction. If you power down, check your grinding and then power back up again make damn sure you hit the right side of the switch. One of the guys in a previous thread took the time to make a shield for the top half of his switch all but eliminating the possiblility of running it in reverse while it's spinning down.

I like mine, it was a great value for the money. I have done nothing to mine but dress the wheel and I have no vibration.
                            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                            Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Its a crap-shoot. Many guys have had great results right out of the box. I bought mine a few months ago and it was a project. It wobbled like an urban outdoorsman (homeless bum) on cheap wine. I was able to turn down one of the mounting disks but for the other side I had to make a new one. No big deal, I needed the experience. I haven't addressed the table adjustment problems yet (they're bloody hell to adjust) but will if I ever get some free time. Bottom line - buy it. Its not a Baldor, but it can be made useful and - you might get one that works right out of the box.

Comment

Working...
                              X