Create a PDF of "Shop Made Tools" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Create a PDF of "Shop Made Tools" thread

Or any thread that interests you - like that eagle thread!

Go here:
    http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/pri...?t=39202&pp=40

And print to a PDF file using CutePDF or similar PDF printer driver for Windows. Mac users can print to PDF natively.

There are currently 8 pages at 40 posts/page and growing. As the thread continues to grow you need only to print the last page, or the changed pages since the last change you captured.

Thanks for the tip Dennis.

Dwayne
    "When it comes to paradigms ... shifts happen" - Alain Rossman

Comment

Be nice if we could show the whole thread on one page, then save it, rather then eight pages..
      Precision takes time.

Comment

That would be a major drain on the BBS server and the servers that dish up the images. There are tools though that can combine sets of PDF files into a single PDF file. The header material from each page is retained which kind of spoils the flow, but the result is a single PDF file, at least. There is a way to view the entire thread but without pictures by using the Archive viewer. Not much point in that for this particular thread.

And if George can get that thread into a special edition format then so much the better.

I decided to make a PDF now as I notice some images are already rotting off the thread.

Comment

I like microsoft One Note for this purpose, a very nice digital notebook

Comment

Originally posted by dp
            That would be a major drain on the BBS server and the servers that dish up the images.
            Probably but for a one off, it shouldnot be a problem..

I have seen some forums which have that option down the bottom...It has the list of pages and another option called "all" which shows every page..
            Precision takes time.

Comment

Yes - but imagine some of the threads here that run on for a thousand or more posts. The H1N1 influenza thread, for example. If someone or several someones such as Google or Bing should open that a few times a day that would be quite a significant load. And while it's possible to install a robots.txt file on the server that guards against proper bots taking down your server, not all search engines honor the robots.txt file. Where I work we get hammered frequently by spiders crawling our inventory.

Comment

Message from "shop made tools" thread starter

Hi guys,

Me again. I have been thinking about developing the shop made tools thread into a website.

I have no experience in developing a website, but I am "on tour" for the winter and will soon have a fair amount of down time.

I have been thinking for a long time about learning web development. Same as I had been thinking about starting this thread for a long time.

I think for me to stick with a project like this, it would have to be something that really interests me. Shop made tools does.

I am hoping to get permission from the contributors to the thread to use their images, etc.

My plan is to organize it into sections for mills, lathes, grinders, hand tools, you get the idea.

You can let me know what you think about my idea at [email protected]

Thanks,
                Brian

Edited to change email address
                Last edited by bborr01; 01-31-2010, 12:02 PM.
                OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Originally posted by bborr01
                  Hi guys,

Me again. I have been thinking about developing the shop made tools thread into a website.
                  It already is a web site.

You probably will have a snarl of legal/copyright laws in many nations to deal with. It's not worth it just to reconstruct what already exists.

Comment

Sorry Brian,
                    Whilst I have no problem with anyone taking and using any of my ideas from this site or Village press using them for another readers tips book I would not like to see then distributed all over the web.

There is probably nothing new, not much is after nearly 200 years and my ideas are probably derived from others but once they start getting distributed people then start using them for their own ends.

There is already a quite expensive book of Shop Secrets out there that has been compiled as one man's work for financial gain when a quick look thru it shows otherwise.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

I agree with dp and Sir John.

Any benefit from the tips and trick should go to this the hosting site, even if they only clean up the post up and place it as a sticky to generate site traffic.

You need to support the things you like or they may disappear.

Comment

Hi Guys,
                        I was thinking a free site that I could put a link to at the bottom of my posts like Many, Many of the others on this board. I would also reciprocate by putting a link on the site to draw other like minded people to this site.

I'm more interested in making the posts in the shop made tools thread easier to navigate than making $ on it. Plus, I would gain valuable knowledge about website development.

I already have the domain name registered.

I can't see how this could be a losing situation for this site.

Also, as the person who started the thread, I would think that I should get at least some leeway in the use of the material in it. That is to say with the posters permission.

If I hadn't started this thread, we could all be reading about swine flu, Toyota gas pedals, cats and dogs, and almost anything else but machining.

Of course I also had planned to contact fellow Michigan resident George Bulliss to get his feedback before I used any of the information in the posts.

That being said, I still can use my own ideas and those of others I know to build my own site.

Brian
                        OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

One of the fascinating things I learned while studying copyright case law was the judicial process does not consider innocence, lack of intent, or ignorance in deciding guilt. If someone posts copyrighted material on your blog and you don't know about it, or even if you do and take it down, you're already guilty (this is innocence - you didn't post the image, you hosted it).

Where this innocence, lack of intent or ignorance is considered is in the penalty phase of the trial. I think I'd strive to avoid all that.

Comment

Originally posted by dp
                            If someone posts copyrighted material on your blog and you don't know about it, or even if you do and take it down, you're already guilty (this is innocence - you didn't post the image, you hosted it).

Where this innocence, lack of intent or ignorance is considered is in the penalty phase of the trial. I think I'd strive to avoid all that.
                            I agree Dennis, but there are other people who troll the various machinist forums for interesting ideas that they collect on their web page, so why draw the line with Brian?
                            "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
                              I agree Dennis, but there are other people who troll the various machinist forums for interesting ideas that they collect on their web page, so why draw the line with Brian?
                              I haven't drawn a line with anything but an idea. No need to make it personal. What I've offered has nothing to do with any individual.

Comment

Working...
                              X