Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lazlo
    • Jun 2006

A co-worker sent me this MadTV sketch on the iPaq. Hilarious!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

• Falcon67
      • Jul 2009

That clip is a popular backdrop for various scenarios

Possibly NSFW, R for Language
      Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
      Chris
      Merkel, Tx
      http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod

Comment

• dp
        • Mar 2005

Today I learned the iPad has these needed features:

Accessories:
        • dock connector to USB cable <---- Very important!
        • 10W USB Power Adapter and documentation
        • iPad keyboard dock
        • iPad case
        • iPad camera connection kit

Wireless communication:
        • The Wi-Fi only model comes with Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)
        • Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR technology

Viewable document types:
        • .jpg, .tiff, .gif (images)
        • .doc and .docx (Microsoft Word)
        • .htm and .html (web pages)
        • .key (Keynote)
        • .numbers (Numbers)
        • .pages (Pages)
        • .pdf (Preview and Adobe Acrobat)
        • .ppt and .pptx (Microsoft PowerPoint)
        • .txt (text); .rtf (rich text format)
        • .vcf (contact information)
        • .xls and .xlsx (Microsoft Excel)

This might win me over. My principle need is a portable library for my reference books which are all PDF. Email (using my servers) is a plus.

Comment

• MuellerNick

Me too thinks that the iPad is a great tool in the shop. Keeping all documents, a calculator, browse the web for documentation etc.

As soon as its available here, I'll certainly have a look at it.

Nick

Comment

• dp
            • Mar 2005

With Bluetooth NAS (Google it) available you could store a lot of stuff on a flash drive in your pocket.

Comment

• lazlo
              • Jun 2006

Originally posted by dp
              With Bluetooth NAS (Google it) available you could store a lot of stuff on a flash drive in your pocket.
              I'd look into that a bit more. The Bluetooth support on the iPhone is hobbled (the iPad feature-list looks like a supersized iPhone) -- audio profile only. I.e., you can't data sync with the blue tooth interface (stupid!).

By the way, did you see my post that AT&T customer service told me that you need to purchase a separate phone line for the iPad? Seems silly that you can't share the Sim card with an existing AT&T phone.
              "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

• aostling
                • Feb 2006

Originally posted by lazlo
                By the way, did you see my post that AT&T customer service told me that you need to purchase a separate phone line for the iPad?
                I must be missing something, I thought the iPad doesn't have a phone.
                Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

• dp
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by lazlo
                  I'd look into that a bit more. The Bluetooth support on the iPhone is hobbled (the iPad feature-list looks like a supersized iPhone) -- audio profile only. I.e., you can't data sync with the blue tooth interface (stupid!).
                  It's been really difficult discovering the feature set and where the damn thing is hobbled. So much for more is better.

By the way, did you see my post that AT&T customer service told me that you need to purchase a separate phone line for the iPad? Seems silly that you can't share the Sim card with an existing AT&T phone.
                  Yeah - that's not a product I'd buy anyway. My phone costs are already stupid expensive.

Comment

• dp
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by aostling
                    I must be missing something, I thought the iPad doesn't have a phone.
                    The telco connection is needed for broadband.

Comment

• loose nut
                      • Sep 2006

Here is a thought.

Most towns have these things called Libraries. You can go and get books and papers or other things and it doesn't cost anything. No aggravation because the memory failed and your books disappeared, no cell charges, no batteries, no incompatible formats, unlimited use and best of all NO DRM.

Try it you'll like it.
                      The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

• danlb
                        • Nov 2008

A strange side note...

If you have the iphone or ipad you can run a kindle app that is tied (for free) to your kindle account. You can read the ebooks on either device and it even syncs where you left off reading.

In use: My wife reads every night, and really likes her 1st gen Kindle. We were stuck in a store for an hour and she had nothing to do while I worked with the salesman. I loaned her my iphone and she accessed the book she'd been reading the night before. She was happily entertained while I was busy.

And yes, you can do many formats with the first gen kindle too. My friend converts her public domain e-books to .prc format and has them handy all the time.

Dan
                        At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

• dp
                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by loose nut
                          Here is a thought.

Most towns have these things called Libraries. You can go and get books and papers or other things and it doesn't cost anything. No aggravation because the memory failed and your books disappeared, no cell charges, no batteries, no incompatible formats, unlimited use and best of all NO DRM.

Try it you'll like it.
                          Do they have a bus to ride on, too?

Comment

• keelan
                            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Evan
                            The C-64 has a separate audio processor, the 6581 SID chip. It was extremely advanced for the time and was so popular and capable that it is still in use with several versions available for the PC on an internal PCI card.
                            I said C64 era, not C64.

Comment

• John Stevenson
                              • Mar 2001

Originally Posted by loose nut
                              Here is a thought.

Try it you'll like it.

Originally posted by dp
                              Do they have a bus to ride on, too?
                              No need the library is at the bottom of our street, just across from the pub

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

• Evan
                                • May 2003

The hot new thing at the libraries is digital books on loan for your digital DRM equipped reader. No need to return the data, it erases itself in three weeks.
                                Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Working...
                                X