Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - OCC, what the heck happened?

Hi all,

i used to be an avid follower of the guys at OCC, mainly for lessons in how NOT to use a machine tool and how NOT to behave in a workshop

I caught an episode last night where they were "building" a bike for a baseball star and it seems that not only has junior gone to creating barbecues! but also that Mikey has been ousted to the extent that Paul Snr would not even attend his piano recital

What on earth went wrong? Is it just the curse of non-stop cash from Discovery channel or something else?

In all there was about 15 minutes of assembly time in the hour, the rest of it was more like a reality tv show about the family, not what i wanted to see.

ALSO, why is the shop, which is full of nice CNC stuff always empty, do they film on Sundays or what?

Dave
    If it does'nt fit, hit it.
    https://ddmetalproducts.co.uk
    http://www.davekearley.co.uk

I noticed alot of problems to. I think sales are down and the kids are tired of Paul Sr's antics.

Comment

Mikey is the only one of the lot that is tolerable!

Comment

They are joining the cast at General Hospital.

Comment

It's easy. Give buckets of cash to idiots who were already a dysfunctional family, throw in some measure of fame, then just sit back and watch. It's not a question of if there'll be a breakdown/fight/divorce/breakup, but simply a matter of when.

You see the same thing with lottery winners. It's actually rather rare for a lottery winner, especially of a large one, to still be sane and stable three to five years down the road.

Few people, really, can handle instant or near-instant cash, fewer still can handle fame. The OCC guys essentially don't have to work. They have techs and welders to build the bikes, managers and secretaries to pay the bills and market the products, and agents to handle the TV shows. All they have to do is show up for a taping session once a week or twice a month or whatever.

What else do that have to do but gripe at each other and bitch about money?

One of these days, we'll have a nicely-done, high-production-quality show for mechanics, machinists or hotrodders, that's as well done as This Old House, shows craftsmanship like Yankee Workshop, and is still as interesting to watch as the early episodes of Junkyard Wars.

When that happens, I might just start watching TV again.

Doc.
          Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

When that happens, I might just start watching TV again
            If that happened I might even buy a TV.
            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Nickel
              One of these days, we'll have a nicely-done, high-production-quality show for mechanics, machinists or hotrodders, that's as well done as This Old House, shows craftsmanship like Yankee Workshop, and is still as interesting to watch as the early episodes of Junkyard Wars.
              Doc.
              Now THAT would be a quality tv show, Norm and the team at this old house showed some quality craftsmanship.

Dave

Comment

I wanna see CNC improvement.

'Yea we slaped a 318 bigblock on this bridgeport and now its got 200HP at the spindle, ARR ARR ARR ARRR!!!, Slaped a couple spare starter motors on the X/Y/Z for 500IPM rapids, and installed a CO2 compressor to cool them with liquid CO2, running off the new 200Hp spindle, lets see what it does on this 5"x12"x36" block of steel'

'I don't think so tim'
                Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

I honestly don't see why somebody can't do it.

Yes, I know it's a somewhat limited market- despite news articles about the "resurgence" of DIY and the increasing availability of affordable (IE cheap import) machine tools (Harbor Freight, Northern Hydraulics, tool dealers like CDCO, etc.)

But really, Junkyard Wars had a pretty decent following- before they took it down the "reality show" path. BattleBots was hot 'til they started showing fewer battles and more Electra the Airhead. OCC itself got hot when they were actually showing shopwork.

Then there's the dozens of spin-offs like Trick My Truck, Pimp My Ride, Monster Garage... ferpete'ssake look at MythBusters! Half the appeal of that show is watching them build something, with the other half watching them blow it up!

Which leads to the conclusion that a show about machining would probably have to show how icepicks, machine guns and pipe bombs were made, in order to be successful.

Seriously though, the show would have to feature machining and fabrication, but not as the centerpiece. MythBusters has the premise of busting myths, but that's just the cover so they can play with explosives. If the show was nothing but blowing stuff up or burning it down, it'd be interesting for about a week, then get old fast.

So what we need is a premise, a topic for the show. Cars, choppers and hotrods are good because there's a huge and varied interest in them, and thus a big market. What else is there? A show about gunsmithing? Yeah, we'd have all of 35 viewers. A show about manufacturing? Who wants to see a foundry cast a pipe flange? (Yes, I know- I would too- that's why they have "How it's Made". )

How about a "Monster Garage" for stuff other than cars and trucks? Like computer case mods, tricked out Nerf guns (no, I'm not kidding) modified paintball guns (or pellet guns and air rifles) or other small stuff. A TV show where three to five guys get together in a TechShop-like environment, and build something- the usual "what do we want to do?" beginning stage, the "how should we go about it" planning stage, the build, then showing the finished whatever, in use at the end.

As they're building, like in Junkyard Wars, you slip in some tech; The voiceover describes the machine, explains the technique, gives little tidbits ("we could have done this on that other machine, but this one gives a better surface finish, and...")

You could even showcase a particular machine or tool or process each week or each episode- like one project uses a lot of water-jet cut parts, or another uses a CNC plasma table. This week we're showing a CNC turning center making the knobs we need, next week we'll see a similar part being made on a 65 year old screw machine.

Oh, and there's an idea- to mix it up, occasionally the group has to use a different set of machines. For a relatively simple project, this time around they have to use lineshaft machines and carbon-steel cutters. For this other project, they have to use CNC everything except hand tools to assemble it.

That might actually work, if you get a good, smart team together to pull it off.

Or they could half-a$s it like they do most of the other shows and it'd get cancelled after three episodes.

Doc.

Comment

There's a good program in there somewhere

I would like to see something like How Its Made etc but with much more detail, more time spent and all the good bits that they dont have time for, at present it just scratches the surface and you see a tiny bit of a machine doing stuff but i want to see how they made the machine do that stuff.

We had a tour of a weaving mill in scotland a few years ago, the place was massive with some of the fastest looms available, the noise aproaching the hall whetted my appetite and by the time i got to the machines i was drooling and chomping at the bit !

These looms all had perspex end covers and you could see every little part working, it was absolutely fantastic and i stood there studying the gears and cams while the group wandered off looking at yarns and cloth In the end the guide had to come back and get me

Thats what i want, time to absorb what they are showing in every detail.

Comment

I honestly don't see why somebody can't do it.

A show that is really about machining would be about as interesting as watching the hour hand on a clock to most people. It would only appeal to a very select audience and for that reaon it would only appeal to a *very* select group of advertisers. It's such a small community compared to just about anything else that there aren't enough dollars to support it.

Of course it could be made to appeal to a larger demographic by throwing in some T & A and/or personal interaction. You know, like OCC....
                      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                        A show that is really about machining would be about as interesting as watching the hour hand on a clock to most people.
                        -I'm pretty sure I already said that.

Yeah, there's a reason "This Old House" and "Yankee Workshop" are on PBS, and not primetime network TV. But again, those shows are about the doing- as I noted about MythBusters, the "doing" is secondary, but still a heavy draw in and of itself.

So what we need, is a show where the machining is the "how", but not the "why"- the why is the the making of the project. It'd still be tricky to find some projects that can draw- that is, without defaulting back to the near-universal car/truck/bike interest- but I'd bet a good crew could still pull it off.

Heck, you could do a whole season on just constructing BattleBots- have the final episode of the season show the combat of the 'bots people had been watching get built for the past couple of months, and I'll bet that could draw. No, not as much as an average episode of OCC or even an early episode of MythBusters, but it'd be better than a 3:00am episode of Trick My Truck.

Doc.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                          A show that is really about machining would be about as interesting as watching the hour hand on a clock to most people. .....
                          We aren't implying here that "most people" watch these types of programs in the first place are we?

What would make these programs described work is the fact that they get aired nearly hundreds of times. They would likely get the same crowd as those who watch "How it's Made". I watched 4 episodes in a row till the wife came in and made me change it. (they had a How-it's-Made-athon a few days ago)

When you take into account the vast audieance, vast amount of channels and varied interest of this world you could make money on almost any well put together program with decent production values. Example... Ice Road Truckers, Arctic Fishing, Dirty Jobs and on and on. When we only had 13 channels those programs would have never flown.
                          Last edited by Your Old Dog; 02-02-2010, 08:04 AM.
                          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                          Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

I could never figure out why everything on the face of the planet has to 'appeal to a wide target audiance'
                            Doesnt anyone consider the small target audiances who have nothing else and basicly have no choice but to watch/buy your stuff due to lack of anything else? Who are easy to alienate by trying to appeal to a wide target audiance (When the wide audiance has many alternatives and thinks your show/product sucks))
                            Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons
                              'Yea we slaped a 318 bigblock on this bridgeport and now its got 200HP at the spindle, ARR ARR ARR ARRR!!!, Slaped a couple spare starter motors on the X/Y/Z for 500IPM rapids, and installed a CO2 compressor to cool them with liquid CO2, running off the new 200Hp spindle, lets see what it does on this 5"x12"x36" block of steel'
                              Now thats a great idea, if we really wanted to capture the hearts of the gene pool's shallower side, we could have the bport reving and doing burn outs of cutters.

A show that is really about machining would be about as interesting as watching the hour hand on a clock to most people.
                              who cares about most people? thats been done, gorilla tactics, where a show goes after a niche will work.....all it needs is a certain # of a viewers of a measurable demographic generating revenue in excess of its cost. I think 'How its made' proves a show that guys like us like can work. Most of the others, occ, the hot rod shows end up cheesy human interest shows with a tech backdrop...but it doesn't have to be. 'How's its made' shows that interesting is good enough. An hour on how i made my steam engine crank would bore (hehe) even you guys....it has to be done right and convey the interesting learning while cutting away a chaf.

I was reading an account PM about metal spiral staircase railings, not something i see myself doing, but i could see a half hour TV show on it....doesn't have to be in excruciating detail or teach you how to weld, just as to show you the interesting bits and it will have appeal way beyond guys who, for example, want to build spiral staircases
                              Last edited by Mcgyver; 02-02-2010, 08:44 AM.
                              in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Working...
                              X