Is Zeus as good as they get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Zeus as good as they get?

Lately I've been doing more with BA, BSF and BSW threads (probably because of the hardware I own). Machinery's Handbook is good for the US threads and even has Whitworth but my edition does not have BSF (or BA I think) listed. For these I'm getting basic information from my Zeus book. Is there a publication that has Machinery's Handbook level of detail on these threads? (Alternately, is there a UK edition that does have this information in it?)

Michael

Some people like this book http://engineersblackbook.wordpress....rs-black-book/
    Precision takes time.

Comment

Not seen that one Ringer, well I have but not in the flesh and the index isn't too clear on what's in it.

Problem is you throw about £25 UKP at it [ about $40 ] and it's not up to scratch and that's the book fund wasted for another week.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Isn't that the one that oldtiffie sometimes posts pages from? Seems like a good source of info to me.
        Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
        Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
        Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

MSC has the book on sale right now for about $25.00.

Search eBay for an older copy of "Amarican Machinists Handbook". I have a 7th edition, which is about 1937 I believe, and all of the british thread specs are in there, as I commonly cut BSF threads.

I also have some poretty good charts that I harvested from the internet. You might just try Googling "British thread specs" and see what pops up.

Comment

Originally posted by Ringer
            I have one of those and would recommend it over zeus tables any day.

I bought mine from J&L for about £12 on an offer from their postal magazine. It comes with an ally drill sharpening guage.

The book includes so much more than zeus including rotary and dividing head data, torque conversion chart, socket size cross reference, speed & feed data including sfm to rpm, Tee slot sizes, weights of various sections of brass and steel, insert data, hardening and tempering colours and quite a bit more.

Hope you manage to see one to confirm it's what you want before you buy one.

Al

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.
              Isn't that the one that oldtiffie sometimes posts pages from? Seems like a good source of info to me.
              I dunno about that, they can't even get the nomenclature right so the tables might not be either!

Comment

There's always _Guide To World Screw Threads_, ISBN 978-0831110925. Covers most threads, I think I've only found a couple that they didn't have (API drill stem was one). Some of the British thread standards: Whitworth, BSW, BSF, Truncated Whitworth, British Brass Thread, Model Engineers, Conduit, BSP, Gas Cylinder, Copper Tube

Comment

No he sometimes posts from this book here https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Fi...achining-Books http://www.ploughbooksales.com.au/003472.htm

I have a copy of it and I believe it is one of the best general purpose books currently available...
                  Precision takes time.

Comment

No thats Tiffiepedia

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

i have the zues ..
                      but dont use it

i use this web site all the time

will be lost when it finishes

http://www.gewinde-normen.de/en/index.html

ps everything is in MM even for imperial

which suits me just great

all the best.mark

Comment

Just Google BA, BSW and BSF threads and you will get lots of info.
                        The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Zeus

Zeus was 28 pages including covers, it fit in ones pocket, Log & trig tables, basic screw data, bolt hole patterns, tapers etc, you could get oil coolant on it & wipe it clean, MHB 2500+ pages, my 19th got wet it's about 5" wide closed now! Definitely will not fit in pocket!

Cheers,
                          Les H.
                          The Impossible Takes Just A Little Bit Longer!

Comment

Originally posted by aboard_epsilon
                            i use this web site all the time

http://www.gewinde-normen.de/en/index.html
                            That's a great web page. Never heard of a glass thread before.
                            "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

I have come to the conclusion that there isn't a good book out there to suit everyone because we all want something different.

I have started my own using one of those clear cover books with 40 pages in them so doubling up gives you 80 sheets.

I have a decimal equivelant chart at the front and back, reversed so no matter which way i pick the book up I have the chart the right way.

Even these are different as one has information on it the other doesn't and is laid out different so it proves you can't even please one person

Next page in has frame sizes and shaft sizes of all the popular metric framed motors as this is what I do the most followed by tables of keyways. Probably no one else on this planet would want the motor information in a data book ?

Comment

Working...
                              X