No announcement yet.

Drill press project - single phase motor (re)wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honestly before I went to all the trouble of wiring it I would dig up a longer belt, put a half twist in it to run forward and try drilling a few holes.

Reason being you will most likely be looking for a bigger motor.1/4HP ain't much even for an old motor which means a 1/2" hole in steel probably won't be doable.

I have a nearly identical machine that's an honest 3/4hp and it's adequate but barely for a 5/8" hole which is what the machine is rated for.Good luck anyway.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by digger_doug
      Because you wrote this:

"The switch does not break both sides of the line, but that is common , even in Europe. Since the plug is your safety disconnect, there is no safety issue whatsoever. "

I took this as you saying that the on/off switch was an unecessary expense
      if using a foot switch.
      Ah, but if you take the trouble to look at the diagram, you will easily see that of course tehre is an "off" position....

The usual thing on this board is for several horrified people to see that it is a single-pole "off" switch and instantly start excitedly hyperventilating, saying :"but you MUST break both sides of the line or <insert multi-failure extremely unlikely safety scenario here>".
      1601 2137 5683 1002 1437

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

If you look closely at a digital signal, you find out it is really analog......

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers
        Ah, but if you take the trouble to look at the diagram, you will easily see that of course tehre is an "off" position....

The usual thing on this board is for several horrified people to see that it is a single-pole "off" switch and instantly start excitedly hyperventilating, saying :"but you MUST break both sides of the line or <insert multi-failure extremely unlikely safety scenario here>".

Jtiers,
        Hold on here just a minute, your last posting marked 1:42 p.m. was not as
        it was when I answered it.

I'm not talking about cutting both sides of the line what so ever.

I have run d.p.'s that run all the time, multi spindle ones
        that you slide the jig from spindle to spindle.

My point is, using a foot operated switch is nice, free's up both hands,
        and doesn't not require a hand to shut off the spindle.

BUT, when changing drill bit's, you can accidentally step on
        the switch (even a guarded one) and by simply wiring in
        a switch (I ussually use the original one on the d.p.)
        an extra level off safety is provided.

Especially in the home shop environment.

Yes, clutched machines are nice, I have several.
        But the typical home shop d.p. (a belt changing
        unit) is not clutched.

Comment

Hmmm, I didn't know that the machines in Australia run the opposite direction that they do here, that's interesting to know. Maybe some of our Australian members can tell us about that. Maybe they can enlighten us on how they solve the motor problem.

Foot switches are dangerous. They allow your hands to be involved in being on or near the work while your foot can accidentally hit the foot switch. Things seem to collect on and around the foot switches and even the shrouded ones are still dangerous.

As stated, a 3 phase motor is the easiest to reverse without stopping the spindle and single phase motors generally have to be stopped rotating to reverse.

Power tapping with a drill press is a little tricky in that you have to use your hand to stop the chuck and that is dangerous even though we all do it and if you don't stop the chuck in time you'll break a tap.

If you want to power tap on a drill press you should modify a tapping head to chuck it up or make a tapping head to at least instantly release the feeding of the tap with a dog clutch and then reverse the motor and remove the tap.

I realize everyone can't afford a mill or an expensive drill press that could handle power tapping but it's no reason to keep doing something that can break taps or hurt you.
          It's only ink and paper

Comment

Originally posted by Carld
            Hmmm, I didn't know that the machines in Australia run the opposite direction that they do here, that's interesting to know.
            sorry i might have mislead you there. (unless that is you're just going along with me, in which case I'm the one misread you.) the australian reference was a bit of a stretch for a joke with a refrence to toilets flushing the opposite direction.

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience
              Honestly before I went to all the trouble of wiring it I would dig up a longer belt, put a half twist in it to run forward and try drilling a few holes.
              thought about it.. i would have to remove the middle spindle if i were to try the crossed belt idea. then i would also have to find and purchase said belt.
              vs. rewiring which is 0 cost since i have all the parts.

that being said, 1/4hp should be plenty for me as 90% of the time it'll be woodworking with only occasional metalwork. i have access to a full shop if i need major metalwork done.
              do i need to be concerned for bringing up woodworking on a Machinist Workshop forum? hehe.. if it helps any i built an electric motocycle with my buddy last year, no wood there whatsoever.
              Last edited by sgtpepper; 02-05-2010, 12:29 PM.

Comment

I have an Atlas drill press with a 1/6 hp GE motor, and it is fine for metal work. Actually I think it is safer, as it limits how much trouble you can get into somewhat. Also, this is a very good quality motor, with minimal single phase humm. My drill press is so quiet, you can barely tell it is running.
                --Doozer
                DZER

Comment

sgtpepper, I was just going along with you and started to put the rolling eyes in but figured it would take away from the, Geez, he didn't really believe that did he, effect. Yep, it was all in fun but I was kind of interested in what your going to use it for in reverse except for left hand drills or power tapping.

Is there some special thing you have in mind?
                  It's only ink and paper

Comment

Originally posted by Carld
                    Is there some special thing you have in mind?
                    forget reverse. i've given up on it.
                    now i'm concentrating on making it go up to eleven!

anyway, all this talk and no progress report. who does this n00b think he is...??
                    i'll try to get it running tonight and report back.

Comment

Working...
                    X