A Message to the Forum Administrator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Message to the Forum Administrator

Hey! How about a little more time for your keyboard challenged participants before you dump the reply editor???

Timeouts of the message editor have lost me three hard fought would be message postings in the past two weeks. My two fingers just don't type that fast and I'm too lazy to pre-type my message on another application and/or do frequent copy commands......

Fred

Timeouts? I have never had the editor "time out" even if I leave it for hours.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Are you on dialup? Sometimes an Internet Provider hangs up if it doesn't detect transmit/receive activity for a while. Happens to me occasionally.
      Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
      ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Fred,

I just took a stroll through the admin settings and found nothing that would limit the amount of time for you to edit. The closest setting I found was an adjustable limit for editing without leaving the “edited by” notice in the thread. Right now, it is at the default setting of two minutes. If you complete the edit in two minutes from the time of the initial post, the notice won’t appear, but you have an unlimited amount of time for the edit (as near as I can tell).

I also have an edit open on my box (about a half an hour now) and so far, no problems. As Wes suggests, there may be something in your connection or computer causing this. One workaround might be typing in MSWord (or similar) and then pasting it to the thread.

George
        George
        Traverse City, MI

Comment

I'll be gleefully typing away, with both fingers, and after about 10 minutes the editor just goes POOF (gone)...

Not to say, the problem can't be on this end. My browser is Safari. Any other Safari users out there with the same issue?

Comment

I just took a stroll through the admin settings and found nothing that would limit the amount of time for you to edit. The closest setting I found was an adjustable limit for editing without leaving the “edited by” notice in the thread. Right now, it is at the default setting of two minutes. If you complete the edit in two minutes from the time of the initial post, the notice won’t appear, but you have an unlimited amount of time for the edit (as near as I can tell).
            Thanks for checking George. Just to make sure I made myself clear, I was talking about the reply function, not the editing of an existing message.

Fred

Comment

The ESCAPE key?

I have mistakenly hit the Escape key while typing in text and lost it all.
              Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
              ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

So have I. On long postings I make it a habit to select all and copy it to Notepad now and then.
                Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Using Firefox, if you click anywhere outside the gray-background message box, then hit the backspace key, it returns to the thread page. Effectively, this is the same as clicking the back button. Pretty sure that is the case for IE too, and I believe this to be common behavior among all browsers, but I am not certain of that.

Might that be the problem?

-Pete
                  I just like to make stuff.

Comment

When you log in you should select the "Remember me" box or your session cookie will expire out from under you. That may or may not be your problem, but it's something to consider.

Also - it takes just a second to select all you've typed with your mouse and save it to the clipboard.

Comment

If it persists go to your word doc and type your message, Highlight it with the mouse and press CTRL +C, go back to the message board and when it lets you reply press CTRL+V this is a simple cut and past command and takes less time that it took me to type this. This works with IE 7 I don’t know about what your using thou.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                        So have I. On long postings I make it a habit to select all and copy it to Notepad now and then.
                        There is a character limit in Notepad, I don't recall how many charcters but I've been using Wordpad for many years because of the limitation.
                        The reason was that I was once working in Notepad and got a warning that the limit had been exceeded.
                        I also don't recall which version of Windows I was using, at the time.
                        Last edited by ligito; 02-05-2010, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ligito
                          There is a character limit in Notepad, I don't recall how many charcters but I've been using Wordpad for many years because of the limitation.
                          The reason was that I was once working in Notepad and got a warning that the limit had been exceeded.
                          I also don't recall which version of Windows I was using, at the time.

Ligito -- you might want to check, it has improved, I just created a 10+MEG file in notepad (windows 7)

Comment

If it does happen that your ISP is timing you out for no activity then leave your email program open and set to check for mail every 5 minutes.
                            Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
                            Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
                            Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Also in addition to hitting the escape key. I have found a more common error is the palm hitting the Control and Z key that combination is Undo. Which clears the box.

Of course there are a number of others as Ctrl X is cut Ctrl A is all etc.

It to would drive me nuts on long posts when my side of the palm would hit the keys.

On the book reviews I now use word and copy and paste the posting.
                              Glen
                              Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
                              I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
                              All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

Working...
                              X