Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evan
    replied
    Those used to be pigmented with lead but not any more. Don't know how well they last.

Leave a comment:

• Smokedaddy
    replied
    Thanks, that's it!

Sweet,
    -SD:

Leave a comment:

• lazlo
    replied
    It's lacquer stick. You can still buy it from McMaster -- comes in Black, White, Yellow and Red.

It's lacquer paint in a wax carrier, often used by clockmakers, and old-school toolmakers. You heat the workpiece up (just mildly warm), rub the lacquer stick in the engravings, then wipe off the excess with a sheet of phonebook paper. The lacquer then flows into the graduations, and looks "factory".

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    White and red grease pencils used to be lead. Good for lubricating dead centres, nothing works better. You can still buy lead carbonate pigment and mix your own with a lttle oil.

$13 per half pound isn't bad. The flake white is lead carbonate.

http://www.rghartistoilpaints.com/ne...pigments.shtml

If you mix it with a little boiled linseed oil it will mark the graduations permanently.
    Last edited by Evan; 02-05-2010, 09:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Doozer
    replied
    Grease pencil or China marker?

Not on topic, but I just love the silver Sharpie for writing on metal when fabricating.

--Doozer

Leave a comment:

• Toolguy
    replied
    I use paintstick or grease pencil. They both come in white and a lot of other colors.

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    White lead?

Leave a comment:

• Smokedaddy
    started a topic Engraving

Engraving

I once found some "stuff" that came in a stick, like a pencil, that you used to highlight engravings. It was white. You know, you rub on the engravings, like graduations to make them stand out. Have any idea what it is called. I can't find my bookmark that I had either.

Regards,
    -SD:
Working...
X