Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

and we thought it was only the stuff they sold to the USA

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • and we thought it was only the stuff they sold to the USA

    New Shanghai bridge collapses, revealing its components to be mostly rubbish & not concrete!

    Shanghai Wonder: Bridge Made of Trash Collapses

    In an absurd twist of fate and a rather distinct
    and unusual statement on the need to recycle, residents of Shanghai got the surprise of their life when earlier this month a major new bridge collapsed, revealing its components to be mostly rubbish and not concrete!

    Completed in 2009, the bridge replaced a much older one with a more modern design. It began to collapse after being in operation only a short period; just after Christmas, when cracks appeared in the structure. Some thought the ground might have become unstable or that it might have been the result of the inefficiency of the original construction company.

    Subsequent inquiry revealed the latter to be the case. Styrofoam, bags of garbage, scrap wood and plastic waste were used as construction materials in the structure.



    http://www.weirdasianews.com/2010/02...ash-collapses/
    And we thought it was only the stuff they sold to the USA

    Gee- Who wuld da thunk it

  • #2
    Originally posted by JoeFin
    And we thought it was only the stuff they sold to the USA

    Gee- Who wuld da thunk it
    Seems like a reasonable enough expectation. If it's good enough for them, why wouldn't it be good enough for everybody else too?
    .
    "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

    Comment


    • #3
      I can't see any casting sand there.... Perhaps that is just a special order item for exported goods..
      Precision takes time.

      Comment


      • #4
        I expect a short trial and a 9mm bullet.

        http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19686498/

        Clutch
        Last edited by clutch; 02-06-2010, 06:05 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          what goes around comes around!!!

          Comment


          • #6
            unreal!
            I have a feeling it gets much worse..

            Comment


            • #7
              I expect a bullet and a press release.

              And the money that was skimmed will still be sitting in Swiss accounts.

              Did you read where the Chinese tainted milk that killed thousands of Chinese children was repackaged and is still being sold...in China?

              You can assume that the same tainted food and merchandise that was being sold here in the USA is still being sold.

              Time for some real regulation with teeth.

              TMT

              Comment


              • #8
                I'm all for letting the toxic stuff be sold and consumed here. Seems like a good way to eliminate the people who enable such importations to be profitable.


                So that's mostly tongue in cheek, but there's a reason I don't ingest products of that nation. Self preservation in so many ways...

                Comment


                • #9
                  It looks to me like they did the typical builder's trash stashing. I worked a construction site where they dropped their lunch trash in partially built walls and buried debris under areas that were going to be paved over. Paint buckets, empty caulk tubes, etc were all stashed where no one would see them till the place was demolished.

                  They must have been fresh out of casting sand.

                  Dan
                  At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

                  Location: SF East Bay.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Great.....I'm travelling across that bridge in about 5 hours! Wish me luck!
                    BudB

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Jim Shaper
                      I'm all for letting the toxic stuff be sold and consumed here. Seems like a good way to eliminate the people who enable such importations to be profitable.


                      So that's mostly tongue in cheek, but there's a reason I don't ingest products of that nation. Self preservation in so many ways...
                      Actually you do.

                      If you live in the United States you have inhaled Chinese air pollution.

                      Your food is processed by machines with Chinese hardware...and its heavy metal contaminants that do end up in your food products.

                      You drive roads where when Chinese fasteners fail, you and your family will die.

                      Poor quality affects any one it touches.

                      TMT

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Ain't socialism/communism great? It teaches ZERO personal responsibility and ZERO pride in one's work (after all, there is no "individual", only the "collective").

                        I have an idea, let's try socialism/communism here in the US! Oh wait, we already elected Obama.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by danlb
                          It looks to me like they did the typical builder's trash stashing. I worked a construction site where they dropped their lunch trash in partially built walls and buried debris under areas that were going to be paved over. Paint buckets, empty caulk tubes, etc were all stashed where no one would see them till the place was demolished.

                          They must have been fresh out of casting sand.
                          Dan

                          More likely the same company that built the bridge also does the local garbage pickups.

                          That way they get double the profits.

                          Isn't it great how pro-business and free market work together for the betterment of the company owners.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by SpyGuy
                            Ain't socialism/communism great? It teaches ZERO personal responsibility and ZERO pride in one's work (after all, there is no "individual", only the "collective").

                            I have an idea, let's try socialism/communism here in the US! Oh wait, we already elected Obama.
                            Didn't the United States have a bridge fall down in MN while Bush/Republican Party/Free Range Capitalism were running the Country into the ground?

                            TMT

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              But Bush didn't build it...

                              Originally posted by Too_Many_Tools
                              Didn't the United States have a bridge fall down in MN while Bush/Republican Party/Free Range Capitalism were running the Country into the ground?

                              TMT
                              I know that ALL the worlds problems for the past 2 centuries were caused by the Bush administration... but that bridge predated the Bush administration by many years and the state of Minnesota was responsible for inspecting it... Try to be a bit more rational (it's hard, I know) with your inane political knee jerks.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X