New Use for a Jacob's Chuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Use for a Jacob's Chuck

I was making one of the hold down plates I saw pictured on a posting on this site. Not having a Tap-Matic device, I had to hand tap all the holes. After tapping the first hole, I decided that the small handle on the tap wrench and my artritic hands just wouldn't get alone at all. I tried a piece of pipe and that made tapping a lot easier but the pipe was too long to be able to make a complete revolution of the tap. Just as I was about to cut the pipe I spied the Jacob's chuck and decided to try it. The shank of the chuck made a very nice sized "handle" for the hands and tapping of the holes became a much easier task.

Last edited by BigBoy1; 02-07-2010, 09:50 AM.
    Bill

Being ROAD KILL on the Information Super Highway and Electronically Challenged really SUCKS!!

Every problem can be solved through the proper application of explosives, duct tape, teflon, WD-40, or any combo of the aforementioned items.

Your money, your tools...I wouldn't use any of my drill chucks for that though

Comment

Cannot see why not judging by the remarks about the accuracy of drills and chucks it cant do the thing much harm using it as a handle! I would be more afraid of breaking the tap!

Peter
      I have tools I don't know how to use!!

Comment

La de da, da da, la de da, SNAP.
        Oh, *(&^!

--Doozer
        DZER

Comment

Haha nice, just don't forget to clean and oil that taper
          Rust prints get all over...
          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally posted by ptjw7uk
            Cannot see why not judging by the remarks about the accuracy of drills and chucks it cant do the thing much harm using it as a handle! I would be more afraid of breaking the tap!

Peter
            I think what Mochinist is getting at is drill chucks aren't really designed for side force. May or may not damage the jaws inducing unwanted runout but it kind of makes for an expensive cheater bar.
            Jonathan P.

Comment

From what I can tell, it appears that is a full size bridgeport "type" mill...
              I am wondering why the OP is not power tapping .....?

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle O
                From what I can tell, it appears that is a full size bridgeport "type" mill...
                I am wondering why the OP is not power tapping .....?
                I was wondering the same thing.

Comment

Judging by the size of the chip brush I think more likely a bench mill or mill drill.
                  Darrell

Comment

There you go!

I find I can't get enough drill chucks. I have well over a dozen in a small shop. I have good quality chucks for use on the mill/drill and in the lathe and an assortment of others for many uses. Many have been purchased in "sale" situations at local places like home supply stores or on the internet when tool suppliers have sales.

I have used these chucks for many tasks. You can mount a countersink in one and use it to clean up drilled holes by hand. You can mount a reamer and clean out a hole/bore by hand. You can actually use them as tap handles for small taps: they will provide the balanced torque needed to prevent tap breakage when used in this manner. They can be used as vises for small, round parts. And in some cases a drill that is hand turned in an unmounted chuck is the answer to a delicate or difficult problem.

If I were using them for handles while tapping, I would use two identical but inexpensive ones to maintain balanced torque to prevent tap breakage. And yes, I would have at least two pairs to choose from; why buy one when you can buy two or three when they are on sale?

Many, many uses.

You can't have enough drill chucks.
                    Last edited by Paul Alciatore; 02-07-2010, 12:04 PM.
                    Paul A.
                    SE Texas

Make it fit.
                    You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

Can it swing 360 around? It looks like it'll hit the machine on the back side.

No problem damaging the chuck with the light forces here. More worry about too much leverage and accidentally breaking the tap.

Comment

My favourite handle for hand tapping...

Too much leverage is not a problem as while one hand holds it steady the other can be very sensitive to the pressure on the tap.

Comment

Looks like a full size mill. I power tap with mine all the time with 1/4" or larger. You just have to be good with eye hand coordination to shut off then reverse the spindle before the tap gets to the end of the thread. If a blind hole I power in a ways and then hand feed with a tap T handle.

If I do as bigboy shows I use a piece of pipe that fits the handle of the tap wrench.
                          It's only ink and paper

Comment

...And if it is a blind hole or too shallow to power tap just take the mill out of gear and turn the spindle by hand. Even if it is a larger tap, of say 1/2"or better, you can put the handle of the chuck key in in the hole the pin goes in to tighten the chuck and use it as a handle. With the tap in the spindle you should not have the out of balance problem with breakage.
                            Jim (KB4IVH)

Only fools abuse their tools.

Comment

Hah!
                              It's only a Jacobs, not an Albrecht. So any abuse is OK.

Nick

Comment

Working...
                              X