new yankee workshop hiatus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new yankee workshop hiatus?

Just checked the New Yankee workshop website and it says that they are recycling old shows because they lost their sponsor. Anyone know anything about this? I will miss watching Norm!

My guess is the problem was they kept getting their projects done on time, there weren't enough arguments and not near enough mayhem. Don't know if you've noticed but Norm does not have any tattoos either so I think the program was doomed from the begining.

Then of course there was the final straw. That straw being that I liked it. Seems I am out of step with TV land and most of what I like gets dumped
    Last edited by Your Old Dog; 02-07-2010, 10:23 PM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

I had heard that Norm was retiring, but apparently they're just ending the New Yankee Workshop:

Fine Woodworking just received word that the New Yankee Workshop is ending after 21 seasons on PBS according to Patrick Ramirez, a spokesperson for WGBH Boston.

But the man in plaid, Norm Abram, won't be retiring his tool belt yet, he’ll still continue working on sister show This Old House, according to a press release.
      "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Darn...another really good show going by the wayside.

Comment

There's always Roy Underhill - he doesn't have any power tool sponsors - never did

Comment

Originally posted by Too_Many_Tools
            Darn...another really good show going by the wayside.
            Yup!

Like "The Unit". Although the tools they used were a bit politically incorrect. Guess The Unit is another show that appealed to the wrong demographic.

Comment

There are some other good shows on but nobody puts you at ease like Norm. He is just like down home folks. I will miss the show!

Comment

The latest temper tantrum/not on schedule/one inept employee show would be Howe & Howe Tech.

Then we go to Swamp Loggers. Poor ol' Bobby needs to cut/haul 20 loads per day to break even.
                But something always interferes. Be it weather, breakage, mill shutting down, etc.

Comment

We haven't had Norm in UK for a good few years now.One of the reasons I went for sky anyway all we had were repeats repeats etc.I wish they would send all the recent stuff to us in UK Alistair
                  Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
                    I But the man in plaid, Norm Abram, won't be retiring his tool belt yet, he’ll still continue working on sister show This Old House, according to a press release.
                    Norm hasn't "worked" on This Old House in many years. In the beginning, before show morphed into "call in the high-end contractor/consultant, write the check", he actually swung a hammer alongside the homeowner. On the other hand, New Yankee Workshop was a study in using plywood, manufactured materials, woodworking machines and air tools, all the while employing poor examples of joinery. He often based his projects on well crafted antique furniture, I'd like to see how some of the copies from his shop look after 100 years. Entertaining, yes, educational, no.

Comment

Hey Reg… You were expecting museum quality furniture from ol Normy? Why? You are naïve to think there is no educational value to NYW episodes. Norm took a fine museum quality piece, adapted it for today’s AVERAGE woodworker’s skill and shop equipment, and taught the technique to accomplish the work. He uses wood that, most of the time, were readily available to us all. No, I cannot get sunken logs, but I CAN get cherry veneer ply.

I have been a woodworker for a very long time, and have a complete woodshop from the cast iron 50s. I build furniture for myself or an occasional friend. I do not build pieces to last until the next Renaissance. After I’m dead and my kids are dead, you may burn my work. I have no problem using a tack to hold a piece until the glue dries. I like plywood because it is stable. Edged plywood looks fine. I have lathe turned some very interesting pieces from laminated cabinet grade, zero void plywood.

Norm has not taught me rocket science, but I have used many of his techniques and tips to make a project either easier to build or to enhance the aesthetic value of the build. I do not agree with everything he does, but he has plenty of talent. Norm is not a God of mine, but I appreciate his skills.

You must be blessed with a ton of money, a buttload of skill, and limitless supply of fine materials. Maybe you can startup a Smithsonian quality furniture school for us dim bulb woodworker wannabes. I’ll attend.

Comment

A little hard on Norm, aren't you Reg?

Very little furniture of any quality lasts 100 years. Norm's stuff is better than anything you can buy commercially unless you're willing to spend a staggering amount. Plywood is great stuff and the best choice for drawer bottoms and the backs of furniture.

Norm learned a lot since the beginning of the show where he didn't know what he didn't know - a very bad place to be.

His first book is dicey. I built the workbench and a night stand from it. The workbench while lacking in a few places is still giving good service in my woodshop 20 years later. My mother has been enjoying the nightstand for almost 20 years.
                        Last edited by Tony Ennis; 02-08-2010, 12:49 PM.

Comment

I also have to disagree Norm's work is very good.I don't worry about using plywoods and modern materials (actually plywood is not modern) anyway his stuff will probably outlast normal antiques if cared for properly modern glues wood fasteners are hard to beat the tchniques are excellent.I have been reading about quality copies made of original pieces and the experts seem to think they are often superior in many ways .Alistair
                          Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Hi, A fellow told me once that antiques survived because nobody wanted to to use them, all the good stuff was used until it was worn out. Earl

Comment

Norm was my 'first' woodworking instructor, and although I'm not anything near an artisan, I owe a lot of my skill and knowledge to his teachings.

Not only did he teach a generation, he surely helped in generating an interest in a hobby which translated into more readily available tooling and supplies by virtue of increased demand.

Something HSM's could benefit by......

Fred

Comment

Working...
                              X