Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Titanium?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Titanium?

    I thought I read somewhere that these pins were Titanium. Is there an easy way to tell if they are or an Aluminum/Titanium alloy?




    Mike
    Mike

    My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

  • #2
    Titanium is supposed to be 50-60% heavier than aluminum. Also, try a small test spot with a file. If aluminum it should be much easier to cut.
    "Work hard. Tell everyone everything you know. Close a deal with a handshake. Have fun!"

    -- Harold "Doc" Edgerton

    Comment


    • #3
      I can file it but it seems harder than 6061.
      Mike

      My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

      Comment


      • #4
        Are you planning keeping these and continuing to use them? If not file off a small pile of chips/dust and put a propane torch to it ... titanium *really* reacts/burns brightly.
        "Work hard. Tell everyone everything you know. Close a deal with a handshake. Have fun!"

        -- Harold "Doc" Edgerton

        Comment


        • #5
          It looks like Ti to me.

          Comment


          • #6
            Purplish color? Looks like it to me, as well.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by RKW
              Are you planning keeping these and continuing to use them? If not file off a small pile of chips/dust and put a propane torch to it ... titanium *really* reacts/burns brightly.
              Cool, I'll try that!


              Mike
              Mike

              My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

              Comment


              • #8
                weigh it (accurately) adn measure its volume by displacement of water in a jug.
                do the maths and the density will tell you.

                Setting fire to it is much cooler tho

                Dave
                Just south of Sudspumpwater UK

                Comment


                • #9
                  I ground some off and got sparks but not a lot. Could it be a Ti/Al alloy? 6061 Al gave me zero sparks.

                  I'm saving the fire thing for now. Jen just got home.

                  I can weigh them accurately but the volume thing will be a challenge.


                  Mike
                  Mike

                  My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by MotorradMike
                    I can weigh them accurately but the volume thing will be a challenge.


                    Mike
                    It's quite simple Mike, here's the procedure and it is very accurate provided you have some accurate digital scales that can measure to 1/10g or prefferably 1/100g:

                    Tare a beaker of water (A).
                    Weigh sample completely immersed, but suspended in water (B). Hang from a piece of cotton.
                    Weigh sample resting on bottom of beaker (C).

                    Density = C - A/ B - A in g/cm³

                    Titannium and Titanium alloys are between 4.43 and 4.71g/cm³

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I have access to a scale that measures milligrams so I can do that.

                      At work tomorrow.


                      Mike
                      Mike

                      My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        It will spark very bright white against a grinding wheel...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by luthor
                          It's quite simple Mike, here's the procedure and it is very accurate provided you have some accurate digital scales that can measure to 1/10g or prefferably 1/100g:

                          Tare a beaker of water (A).
                          Weigh sample completely immersed, but suspended in water (B). Hang from a piece of cotton.
                          Weigh sample resting on bottom of beaker (C).

                          Density = C - A/ B - A in g/cm³

                          Titannium and Titanium alloys are between 4.43 and 4.71g/cm³
                          Did that. The scale wouldn't stay in milligrams over 100g but I pressed on and got 2.77g/cc.

                          I guess it's an Aluminum alloy of some sort.
                          Mike

                          My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Simple test

                            Aluminumn>? Titaniumn? use a Q Tip dip it in muriatic acid (toilet bowl cleaner works) apply to inside of part just a small amount . Aluminumn will dissolve in muriatic. If it fizzled dump into a bowl of water . There you go.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X