Titanium?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Titanium?

I thought I read somewhere that these pins were Titanium. Is there an easy way to tell if they are or an Aluminum/Titanium alloy?

Mike
    Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Titanium is supposed to be 50-60% heavier than aluminum. Also, try a small test spot with a file. If aluminum it should be much easier to cut.
    "Work hard. Tell everyone everything you know. Close a deal with a handshake. Have fun!"

-- Harold "Doc" Edgerton

Comment

I can file it but it seems harder than 6061.
      Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Comment

Are you planning keeping these and continuing to use them? If not file off a small pile of chips/dust and put a propane torch to it ... titanium *really* reacts/burns brightly.
        "Work hard. Tell everyone everything you know. Close a deal with a handshake. Have fun!"

-- Harold "Doc" Edgerton

Comment

It looks like Ti to me.

Comment

Purplish color? Looks like it to me, as well.

Comment

Originally posted by RKW
              Are you planning keeping these and continuing to use them? If not file off a small pile of chips/dust and put a propane torch to it ... titanium *really* reacts/burns brightly.
              Cool, I'll try that!

Mike
              Mike

Comment

weigh it (accurately) adn measure its volume by displacement of water in a jug.
                do the maths and the density will tell you.

Setting fire to it is much cooler tho

Dave
                Just south of Sudspumpwater UK

Comment

I ground some off and got sparks but not a lot. Could it be a Ti/Al alloy? 6061 Al gave me zero sparks.

I'm saving the fire thing for now. Jen just got home.

I can weigh them accurately but the volume thing will be a challenge.

Mike
                  Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MotorradMike
                    I can weigh them accurately but the volume thing will be a challenge.

Mike
                    It's quite simple Mike, here's the procedure and it is very accurate provided you have some accurate digital scales that can measure to 1/10g or prefferably 1/100g:

Tare a beaker of water (A).
                    Weigh sample completely immersed, but suspended in water (B). Hang from a piece of cotton.
                    Weigh sample resting on bottom of beaker (C).

Density = C - A/ B - A in g/cm³

Titannium and Titanium alloys are between 4.43 and 4.71g/cm³

Comment

I have access to a scale that measures milligrams so I can do that.

At work tomorrow.

Mike
                      Mike

Comment

It will spark very bright white against a grinding wheel...

Comment

Originally posted by luthor
                          It's quite simple Mike, here's the procedure and it is very accurate provided you have some accurate digital scales that can measure to 1/10g or prefferably 1/100g:

Tare a beaker of water (A).
                          Weigh sample completely immersed, but suspended in water (B). Hang from a piece of cotton.
                          Weigh sample resting on bottom of beaker (C).

Density = C - A/ B - A in g/cm³

Titannium and Titanium alloys are between 4.43 and 4.71g/cm³
                          Did that. The scale wouldn't stay in milligrams over 100g but I pressed on and got 2.77g/cc.

I guess it's an Aluminum alloy of some sort.
                          Mike

Comment

Simple test

Aluminumn>? Titaniumn? use a Q Tip dip it in muriatic acid (toilet bowl cleaner works) apply to inside of part just a small amount . Aluminumn will dissolve in muriatic. If it fizzled dump into a bowl of water . There you go.

Comment

Working...
                            X