Air hammer modification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air hammer modification

I'd like to convert an air hammer to one that would give just one blow per trigger pull. Any suggestions before I sacrifice one in a learning curve would be appreciated. If anyone has modified one this way, I would be greatful for whatever guidance they could provide.

I can't think of a way to do that. An air hammer is an air powered oscillator. How about a nail gun?
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

If I had to do this, my first thought would be to disrupt the air supply to a timed pulse. A manually operated rotary valve would be easy and cheap. You would have a tough time getting exactly a single blow though, so I must ask, why the need to make a single shot out of an automatic? Is an air nailer too expensive, as I believe this was suggested on a previous thread.

Comment

I am not 100% certain this will work, but am pretty certain based on repairs I have done in the past to air hammers.
        Take off the barrel and remove the flutter valve, the small disk centered in the recess at the back of the barrel. Put the thing back together. You will have to manually reset the piston to the back of the barrel (handle end) for every stroke, but when you pull the trigger air should send the piston to the end of the chisel end of the barrel one time. This will probably only work if the chisel is held vertically, chisel end up, or gorizontally so the piston will not fall to the chisel end of the barrel.

Comment

Thanks Evan, Joel and firbikrhd1. I would like to be able to use the commercially available chisels for air hammers and I find in the odd circumstance that the machine gun rapid fire makes it impossible to keep the chisel on target and lack of room prevents me from using a hammer, soooo that`s the reason behind wanting to see if it was possible to modify one to be a single shot.

Comment

The hammers that are made for riveting have a "teasing" trigger that is controllable, I think to a single blow. Check this one. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...lesshammer.php It can be set for single blows.

Comment

Repeat from Shed's post: It might be hard to convert to a "one-shot". The air hammers have a different valve system--not only the trigger but also the piston valve. The cylinder has air ports at both ends and these are controlled by the valves at the back of the cylinder and by air pressure differential. You can't just plug one of the ports.

firbikrhd1's idea is close. pulling one of the valves will just apply pressure to both sides of the piston at the same time.

By the way, the triggers don't have to be pulled back all the way Arcane. They are variable. You might have the air turned up too high.

Comment

Sometimes you just have to apply a lot of pressure to the chisel, and use short bursts. I'm afraid that a blow or two from an air hammer isn’t going to do very much useful work.

Comment

Arcane,

I have a Chicago Pneumatic air hammer and it is controllable from one hit to full power. Depending on how I set the regulator knob on the grip and how I pull the trigger it will hit as light, as slow or as hard and fast as I want. Maybe you need a better air hammer.
                  Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Thanks again, guys for the help! Evan, I think you hit the nail on the head with one shot! lol. I think I will look for a Chicago Pneumatic air hammer as it seems to be exactly what I desire.

Comment

Google Michigan air hammer or single hit air chisel.They list a number of single shot air hammers.

Comment

Originally posted by Edwin Dirnbeck View Post
                        Google Michigan air hammer or single hit air chisel.They list a number of single shot air hammers.
                        The problem has probably been solved in the ten years since it was originally posted.

Comment

Working...
                        X