Poor UHMW-PE wear performance against concrete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor UHMW-PE wear performance against concrete

Does anyone have any experience using UHMW-PE as a replaceable wear surface. It's supposed to wear less than steel and I've seen ads for UHMW wear strips for snow plows but I must not be using it right. I have a small 5hp snow blower that isn't self propelled and it has two small stamped steel runners (1" wide x 3" long x0.125" thick) that support the blower head in front. To make it slide a little better I replaced the stamped steel runners with 3/4" wide x 4" long x 1" thick long UHMW runners. It was much easier to push once I installed them but the runners long .125 inches of thickness after clearing a 75ft single lane concrete driveway. Does UHMW only have good wear characteristics against smooth surfaces? I have about 30 3"x12"x.75" pieces laying around but they haven't been good for much.

Yes you need a smooth surface for any amount of wear life. You might try some aluminum bronze for the snow blower.

Comment

Have you considered making rollers of some type to keep it off the driveway?
      It's only ink and paper

Comment

You need a piece of Kromite steel of what you are doing . Will last for ever almost.
        Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
        http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
        http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

Originally posted by Carld
          Have you considered making rollers of some type to keep it off the driveway?
          I think your right, rollers are the next cheapest option. Originally I was going to add some UHMW to several different wear areas when I saw that it was used on snow plows and to line dump trucks. That didn't work out so well so I'm thinking plan B will be to try some 3" diameter .2" wide rollers, disks really, with bearings because the skids some times wanted to run up onto the snow.

Comment

Snowblowers often DO (or did) have thin disk front wheels which cut through the snow and wore well.

I noticed that a while back on the one at work used for the parking lot. I always used shovels, even up north, so I never noticed that before. Down here we rarely get more than 3" (other than one 24" storm in 1982 or so), and the snow is often a heavy wet snow that does not blow well, so it isn't worth messing with a snowblower, despite the fact they are sold.

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

You must have a hellishly rough patch of concrete there. 15 years ago I made similar size shoes for my 5HP Toro blower out of what I believe to be Delrin(black). I just replaced them 2 years ago. From my experience with UHMW I would expect similar if not better performance.

Comment

UHMW is very soft and sands VERY easily, Deralin likey lasted you so long because its harder.
                Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

I made some skids for a tractor tiller used to mix potting soil on a concrete slab. I tried UHMW but found they weared quickly. I went back and used a mild steel "shoe" with the idea of replacing it every so often.
                  You probably don't have the weight of a tractor tiller, so your situation might be different in that way.
                  I also have a v snow plow for the front of my D2. I bought some (I think T-1) the stuff used for cutting edges on tractor buckets. This has held up very well even with literally miles of use on a gravel road (talk about abrasive).
                  What about simple 1/4" plate wheels. Something that will slice through the snow, yet hold your tines up.

Comment

Working...
                  X