SB9C question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SB9C question

I was cleaning all the wood chips out of my lathe and took the top slide off. I haven't had it off in some time. I noticed a couple of nice 5/16x18 bolt holes in the cross slide. I looked in my original exploded view parts manual and they are not shown. Anyone know what they are intended for? Looks like a handy place to attach a simple milling attachment.

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Somebody had an attachment of some sort there at one time. Looks a little too close to center to be good for milling attachment.
    Jim H.

Comment

EVAN
      I checked my SB9 and found the same thing as you did, so obviously, they were made that way for some reason or other
      Jim
      Jim

Comment

The South Bend milling attachment appears to bolt on with two bolts on a diagonal pattern that is on a wider bolt circle.
        Holes that close in would not permit it to swivel.
        Check the pics in the How to Run a Lathe book. Don't see any other attachments that would use them.
        Jim H.

Comment

Those holes will be perfect for what I want to do. More later.

Comment

I skimmed through a copy of a SB lathe 'attachments' brochure (think I downloaded it from the sb yahoo group)

Apart from some sort of milling attachment, the other possibility that I came across was a 4 way turret toolpost which mounts directly to the cross slide. Couldn't tell from the picture if it would use the bolt holes or not.

SB made some nifty gadgets - some for the larger lathes only, but many for the 9" as well.

For instance - lever operated rack & pinion 'production' cross slide with front & rear tool posts -then just add the bed mounted turret attachment and presto...mini turret lathe...could be a real time saver for making quantities of small parts, batches of non-standard fasteners etc.

Some others - 4 position carriage stop - 4 position cross slide stop - lever operated tail stock...potential projects to add to 'the list'?

Comment

I have one of those SB 4 ways and mine does not use any extra holes for mounting it down...I just remove the cross slide and mount in in place

Walt
              Walt

Comment

South Bend did make some attachments for automotive repair which included among other things a fixture that mounted in place of the topslide for boring babbit lined conrods maybe this is what they are for?
                I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

My 9" SB has an identical pair of holes in the cross slide.

Comment

The plot thickens...

Comment

Hello Southbend, are you out there???
                      Jim

Comment

i have the attachment it consists of a rectangular piece of steel with a 0.75 inch hole through it and two bolts.
                        you attach it and then can lift the lathe up with a chain hoist mounted over head to clean underneath it.

Comment

I would not recommend lifting a lathe by the cross slide.
                          Jim H.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by thistle:
                            i have the attachment it consists of a rectangular piece of steel with a 0.75 inch hole through it and two bolts.
                            you attach it and then can lift the lathe up with a chain hoist mounted over head to clean underneath it.
                            </font>
                            Is this on the first of April every year??

John S.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Thistle,

Not a bad idea! It would be really easy to balance too. Just crank the carriage until it is balanced. I'll have to try that.

Oh yeah, I guess I should tighten the gibs really well first.

Filled a garbage can with chips today

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 10-25-2003).]

Comment

Working...
                              X