Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would a "New Yankee" metalworking workshop do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would a "New Yankee" metalworking workshop do?

If a "New Yankee" metalworking workshop show was produced, what would you expect to see?

TMT

advertisements!

no, seriously...metal

actually, on a most seriousl note......tools

:-0

Just posting rather than usually absorbing the wealth of info here.

Didn't Sandra's husband(jesse) have a show regarding this? and what about orange county's show. Overhaulin' has their moments...especially when they misgauge the ammount of rust....resulting in extensive rebuild.
    Many more have come and gone.

I could see a specialty metal-working show, concentrating on turning/milling....in a small shop. But how many people of the multitudes would be watching to pay for it.
    Last edited by Deja Vu; 02-09-2010, 04:37 PM.
    John M...your (un)usual basement dweller

Comment

TLC is dropping OCC: http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/4/478/...n-Chopper.aspx

Probably going to replace it with an adult show. Or at least a show with people who behave like adults.

I think a general metal working show would be a big snoozer. While it's possible to build a show around building a maple and walnut hope chest for your pre-teen, few family members want a piece of billet regardless of the craftsmanship.

After the third pass of turning an ACME thread on the latest Grizzly wonder lathe you'll have to send in an aid car to resuscitate the viewers

Comment

"After the third pass of turning an ACME thread on the latest Grizzly wonder lathe you'll have to send in an aid car to resuscitate the viewers "

Yah! That would be an editor's nightmare!
        John M...your (un)usual basement dweller

Comment

OH COME ON!

How could something like "Spur gear formulas for the layperson" Fail?

This week: Addendums, preasure angles and you.

PBS is salivating for this kind of stuff.

Last edited by smalltime; 02-09-2010, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Too_Many_Tools
            If a "New Yankee" metalworking workshop show was produced, what would you expect to see?

TMT
            Please do not be offended, because this is a negative remark. I just don't think I could take another 20 years of a Norm Abrahms-style character.
            Sometimes the professional is hidebound by tradition while the skilled amateur, not knowing it can't be done blazes a new trail. -JCHannum

Comment

A restoring old and vintage motor cycles show, would be good

Even though i no longer own one ..i would love to see a show like that ..
              this could cover engine overhaul... gearbox ..rebuilding wheels..painting..plating ..derusting ..lots of machining .rebores ..valve jobs cylinder head repair...casting..i could go on and on.

you could make a few series out of it ..
              and it wouldn't make you fall asleep.

because unlike cars, motorcycle engines and the bikes themselves are not built to a pattern....lots of differences and lots to learn.

yup i know there were a couple with that Mark Evans guy (bike is born etc)...but he just chucked them together and didn't show a lot, if you ask me ... ..

all the best.markj

Comment

Originally posted by dp
                Another negative from me. Sorry. Hey I am actually in a decent mood today, but two of my pet peeve shows in the same thread? I just can't resist.

Seriously. OCC probably the worst show on TDC. Reality shows really stink anyway.

Okay, I am done. Gosh, I hate negativity, I hate stupid TV shows even more. Anyone with unlimited resources and all the time in the world, can do what these guys do. That goes for the Abrahms and the Teutels.

Okay NOW I am done, lol.
                Sometimes the professional is hidebound by tradition while the skilled amateur, not knowing it can't be done blazes a new trail. -JCHannum

Comment

Originally posted by Kibby
                  Please do not be offended, because this is a negative remark. I just don't think I could take another 20 years of a Norm Abrahms-style character.
                  No offense taken.

I am just interested in hearing what others would expect on a show similar to the New Yankee Workshop.

The New Yankee Workshop format has been very popular for the woodworking crowd.

TMT

Comment

Any of the current "gearhead drama" shows would work, if they just sh*tcanned the drama and focused on the actual work. Choppers, hotrods, trucks, you name it. Just show the actual doing rather than the manufactured drama, get a couple of people who know what they're doing, and at the end of each show, have the crew blow up some random object.

Doc.
                    Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

If you follow the formula you need..........

A deadline...almost impossible to meet..but always met

Dubious techniques ...bordering on plain dangerous

An idiot...even better if he's the boss

An artisan...but camera shy so you dont see much of him

Shouty

heavy metal theme tune

then start off by showing the work until the ego's develop...then switch to the ego and dump the core idea.

I vote for Heli Turners...If the lathe dont get yer the rotors will....

Rob

Comment

Some gearhead shows that had no drama - Two Guys Garage, Musclecar, Trucks, HorsePower TV and Extreme 4x4.

Comment

There was a most entertaining show on...2,3 years ago now?
                          A British gent restored a Harley 45 and then a Triumph Bonnie...oh and then a Jag E type.

To this day I can't get the phrase "lovely jubbly" out of my head.

If we ever meet I'll throttle him purple.
                          Len

Comment

Originally posted by QSIMDO
                            There was a most entertaining show on...2,3 years ago now?
                            A British gent restored a Harley 45 and then a Triumph Bonnie...oh and then a Jag E type.

To this day I can't get the phrase "lovely jubbly" out of my head.

If we ever meet I'll throttle him purple.
                            That was Mark Evans...as mentioned by markj in post 7
                            He did the "a xxxx is born" series..

I liked the 4x4 series where he took a range rover and turned it into a off roader on steroids over 15 episodes...lots of detail..

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by MrSleepy
                              That was Mark Evans...as mentioned by markj in post 7
                              He did the "a xxxx is born" series..

I liked the 4x4 series where he took a range rover and turned it into a off roader on steroids over 15 episodes...lots of detail..

Rob
                              Right you are!

Still choke him though.
                              Len

Comment

Working...
                              X