Will gunmetal bend ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will gunmetal bend ?

Just like to know in case they snap, these are gunmetal castings about 3/8 x 1/4 inch x 6 inches long, need to bend them in about 1/4 inch if possible, don't want to chance breaking them, with a lot of work I could machine them to fit. David

Just about any casting is going to crack if you try to bend it.

Comment

Alloy ? Never heard of gunmetal alloy. Guns are made of many different alloys.

Comment

Originally posted by MTNGUN
        Gunmetal is a type of bronze once used for casting cannon barrels.

Comment

Originally posted by MTNGUN

Gunmetal is also known as "red brass". It's not steel, its an alloy of bronze. No experience with it myself - not sure how ductile cast bronze is...

Comment

I'm thinking this is a British term versus American term for some type of metal.
            It's only ink and paper

Comment

It can be either specific or generic for brass, but it is a copper alloy close to red brass. It depends on how far you need to bend it, but I would recommend annealing it first. Heat to a dull red and quench in water or allow to air cool. Most of these alloys are ductile in the annealed state, but work harden. If you begin to feel a resistance to bending, stop and re-anneal.
              Jim H.

Comment

Gunmetal, is a metal i used to cast when i worked in the non ferrous foundry where i served my apprenticeship, and in another foundry later on, It is a British term for a metal developed for naval guns cast during the Napoleonic wars, It is a metal by and large still used in the U.K. till the present day,
                The composition of this particular metal generally in use is as follows

88% copper
                10% tin
                2% zinc.

There are other mixtures for specific purposes including one leaded gunmetal, & other types also
                As regards bending your castings be very carefull, dont try to do any bending if they are heated up, when trying to work hot, hot, This stuff becomes breakable very easily, Yes, by all means try a little annealing if you think it is necessary, although in the past, i have on occasions managed to gently straighten a casting, a little amount, without any heat treatment, (emphasise cold,) but excessive deformation of gunmetal castings is usually unadvisable, as you may very easily weaken the casting mechanically, by causing cracking
                Gunmetal is an excellent metal to use for bearings, water pump barrells etc.
                Last edited by oil mac; 02-10-2010, 05:26 PM.

Comment

I've successfully bent gun metal castings, the eccentric rods/straps on Stuart turner to be exact.

Comment

The Colts, Smiths, Rugers and others that I have engraved have all been much like damp clay under a microscope as the chisel moves through them. Yes, they will bend. Engravers sometimes relieve a background and then come into the side of the edge of a leaf to roll it upwards by hitting the chisel repeatedly with a chassing hammer. They will bend and not like machine cast iron at all.
                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Hmmm. I know the barrel on my Ruger BlackHawk bent when I clunked that tweaker with it. The cop said I shouldn't have hit him so hard. "Well, he SHOULDN'T have been trying to pry the door of my shop open, either."
                      I think I was being "easy" on the idiot, after all, I could have shot him.
                      Now, I'll have to re-barrel my Ruger.
                      No good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

rofl! poor gun. You do know your not supposed to abuse tools for improper jobs like that

Next time pick that 2+lb cross peen hammer.. :P Less bendy.
                        Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Working...
                        X