Harbor Freight Universal Cutter/Grinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harbor Freight Universal Cutter/Grinder

This cutter grinder is on clearance now. The original price was $600. 00. The clearance price is $360.00 With a 20% coupon it would be $280.00. Anyone have any experience with this? I was thinking it might be the ticket for the bazillion dollars of endmills I've chipped over the years.

[IMG][/IMG]

I have a vague recollection of John Stevenson not being happy with one, but I could be wrong about that.

Best,

BW
    ---------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Comment

John Moran bought one but sent it back. See http://www.gadgetbuilder.com/CutterGrinder.html
      Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

I have read many posts/reviews on this grinder and have never seen a good one ---

IIRC it is called a "single point tool grinder" and will not do endmills!
        If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

914......I bought mine a few years ago.....I used it yesterday for the first
          time sharpening a micro 100 threading bar that was chipped on one side.
          Machine worked great! (but it needs grinding white wheels to be trued up)................Dean
          www.neufellmachining.com

Comment

I have an older Taiwan version of one of these. I don't find it very useful for the general shop work I do. It's designed to sharpen single-lip engraving cutters (D-bits). How often does that happen in my shop? Just about never. I've used it to sharpen HSS boring bars (the kind with a round shank that goes in a boring head), and single-flute countersinks. It does have an ability to index multiple-lip cutters, so I can sharpen the end flutes of endmills, but have rarely done it.

The big drawback with this grinder is the limited angular movement of the workhead. For example, say you want to grind precise angles for the cutting edges of a one-piece internal threading bar. You can access the forward cutting edge just fine, but there is no easy way to grind the back (trailing) edge. Similarly, forget trying to sharpen a corner roundover bit (though you can do convex corner cutters OK).

In the bench-top arenea, think I'd probably be happier with something like a Cuttermaster.

Comment

These are a copy of the famous Deckel S0 grinders. And they were only designed for D-bits. Some accessories exist as for sharpening drill bits.
              But it still is a D-bit grinder, nothing else.

Nick

Comment

As much as I would like to buy the little grinder, I am going to wait and see if they have a bench sized mill that they are going to closeout.

I really need a small mill.

Comment

Originally posted by MuellerNick
                  These are a copy of the famous Deckel S0 grinders. And they were only designed for D-bits. Some accessories exist as for sharpening drill bits.
                  But it still is a D-bit grinder, nothing else.
                  thats what i always thought.....the video from Bob's link it shows it outfitted with an air bearing, well like an air bearing - i dont know it if there's air. Anyway, I agree with you, its a huge stretch calling this a universal cutter grinder and not the grinder i'd want, but outfit with an air bearing, it looks like it could do endmills

Comment

Originally posted by Richard-TX
                    As much as I would like to buy the little grinder, I am going to wait and see if they have a bench sized mill that they are going to closeout.

I really need a small mill.
                    When I went to a "local" store (45 miles) in Gresham, OR I recall they had some small mills in their special order book as closeouts. You might want to call ahead as your local store mileage may vary.

Comment

I use mine more as a freehand grinder to lick edges on cutters.

It can do end mills but only short ones and small diameter.

It's very hard without pictures to explain the problems but because there is no hight adjustment to take the curvature of the wheel into account you have to grind on the flat end face.
                      This means the endmill has to be tipped upwards to create the angle, the more you tip up the closer the tool get to the wheel and you need to back off the holder but there is no room.

Secondly the machine can tip down 45 degrees but can only tip up 10 to 15 degrees.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Has anyone viewed this grinder as a starter kit to build the grinder they really want?

Comment

If you convert it into a universal T&CG you will probably end up with something that looks like a Quorn.

Phil

Originally posted by Too_Many_Tools
                          Has anyone viewed this grinder as a starter kit to build the grinder they really want?

Comment

For the average machine shop these are very very limited. In a shop that builds smaller plastic injections molds they are indispensable. They were originally designed to make cutters for Pantograph machines, for engraving. However in a mold shop you use a lot of single lip (flute) cutters for things like cutting runners and such, we also used them to make square reamers to finish diameters and also to make boring tools, spade drills and other such things. I would like to have one as I used one for more than 25 years on a daily basis and still have ton of uses for them in my garage shop..

Comment

Originally posted by philbur
                              If you convert it into a universal T&CG you will probably end up with something that looks like a Quorn.

Phil
                              That was my thought also.

Using this grinder as a start would likely save you considerable time and expense for the finished product.

Besides this IS a metalworking board where we work with metal and build stuff from metal so using this grinder as a starter would be a natural progression.

TMT

Comment

Working...
                              X