Need recipe for moglice like material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need recipe for moglice like material

Being cheap and having a need to build up the apron slide surfaces on my Chinese lathe mill/drill because they were not machined correctly, I would like to try something like Moglice. I have powdered bronze, teflon and moly on hand as well as epoxy.

Any ideas?

Thanks, John.

In Germany, you can get samples (50g IIRC) for about 10..15 €. But I think, the American distributer is asking *much* more.
    Moglice is a mixture of PTFE and resin. And some secret incredients.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by MuellerNick
      In Germany, you can get samples (50g IIRC) for about 10..15 €. But I think, the American distributer is asking *much* more.
      Moglice is a mixture of PTFE and resin. And some secret incredients.

Nick
      Sounds more like an embarrassing ummm...infestation.

Comment

Originally posted by machinist60
        Being cheap and having a need to build up the apron slide surfaces on my Chinese lathe mill/drill because they were not machined correctly, I would like to try something like Moglice. I have powdered bronze, teflon and moly on hand as well as epoxy.

Any ideas?

Thanks, John.

West brand marine epoxy and powdered graphite filler has been highly recommended.

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/

http://209.20.76.247/ss/product-selection-chart/

I'm told to add the graphite until the desired consistency is reached -- I'd think pretty thick for what you have in mind, if you're going to be plastering it on like putty. I've heard of a number of people using this mixture to cast low backlash nuts around their lead screws. Haven't tried it myself, yet. Please let us know how you make out.

David Clark in Southern Maryland, USA

Comment

Someone on cnczone looked up the patent...

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpo...postcount=2683

bob

Comment

Thanks Bob. I was cleaning up my desktop and came across the link to this post. I did do repairs to the lathe using epoxy mixed with equal quantintites each of bronze powder, teflon, moly disulphide and graphite. Enough powdered material was added to the epoxy to make it quite thick. Paste wax as a release agent gave me some bad moments but with a bit of force things came free. My lathe does not get a lot of use but it has stood up well with no adjustments for about 2 years now.

John.

Comment

so in what form did the teflon and molly come? where can you get powdered graphite, exept in the small quantities as a lubricant?

Comment

ball mill.

Originally posted by dian
                where can you get powdered graphite, exept in the small quantities as a lubricant?
                That I can answer, homemade ball mill, which is a pretty interesting on topic metalworking post. To say the process is an unholy filthy mess would be an understatement, but it can be done. Or just google for "fingerprint powder, black"

Comment

Working...
                X