Len

...wow...

it's 'almost free' day, huh?

t
    rusting in Seattle

Comment

Down-sizing.

The following points are noted:

cnc 3 axis bridgeport - $450 (wingdale,N.Y.)
      BridgePort 3 axis milling machine. All 3 axis work. Power for Microkinetics steppers is a Mocrokinetics power unit.Reason for selling moving and too expensive to move south. Machine works very well .Many extras included
      I suspect that many with larger machines (bigger than desk or bench-top etc.) may well have that "moving" "down-sizing" and "selling" ahead of them for a whole lot of reasons. There is going to be a lot of "angst" and soul-searching to do to decide what "comes" and what is disposed of.

All of my machines are powered by single-phase - and that suits me. Some of the bigger machines will too hard to use as we get older. Same applies to the bigger tools and accessories etc.

My guess is that those circumstances start to arrive any time after 50 - or perhaps before. We can't always be working alone - or at all? - in stinking hot and humid or freezing cold shops - the energy bills will soon have to be faced up to.

I am slowly (very!!) moving from manual to CNC - on a small lathe and a small mill.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtiffie
        The following points are noted:

I suspect that many with larger machines (bigger than desk or bench-top etc.) may well have that "moving" "down-sizing" and "selling" ahead of them for a whole lot of reasons. There is going to be a lot of "angst" and soul-searching to do to decide what "comes" and what is disposed of.

All of my machines are powered by single-phase - and that suits me. Some of the bigger machines will too hard to use as we get older. Same applies to the bigger tools and accessories etc.

My guess is that those circumstances start to arrive any time after 50 - or perhaps before. We can't always be working alone - or at all? - in stinking hot and humid or freezing cold shops - the energy bills will soon have to be faced up to.

I am slowly (very!!) moving from manual to CNC - on a small lathe and a small mill.
        It sounds pretty grim. You never had a job selling alumunum siding did you?

Come on. It's not all that bad. Turning a crank or two. Pushing a button here or there.You'll be doing it when you're 118 years old, LOL.

Keep smiling!

Comment

I can't see a problem with that advert, even if the user wasn't eldery it's still a big lump of old iron that will cost more to move than it's worth.
          Especially given the distances some people move in the US, something we don't relate to here.

Small single phase gear is relatevely easy to move and holds it's price. Selling to save the move and then rebuying will probably cost more money tahn moving it but once you are over a certain weight this advantage disapears.
          I bought my Victoria horizontal mill on those lines, basically paid scrap price for it because they had to clear the building and the removers wanted £100 to load it up but the company didn't think it was worth £100 to them.

Got a very nice donkey saw last week for free because it was in the way, swapped it for a pint down the pub

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
            I can't see a problem with that advert,
            hmmmm....how about how well the large format 2" sq pics showcase it? No space after a period and there should be a semi colon after selling.

I love the ads where the bozo's took the pic sideways and don't bother to rotate it for the ad. hehe. They can't be machinists, they don't think.

Comment

Working...
            X