LED Lighting, now a practical alternative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LED Lighting, now a practical alternative

A new generation of high power LEDs is now hitting the market and prices are falling fast. Lighting with LEDs is now a practical alternative both in terms of utility and price. I recently received an order of various LED types from Hong Kong and have just finished some preliminary tests on 4 types. I am still waiting for another type of emitter that is back ordered. I ordered a direct replacement screw in bulb that is equivalent to about a 25 watt incandescent, a MR16 12 volt bulb that is easily equivalent to a 25 watt halogen and is close to a 50 watt, a new much more powerful LED module of the same type as the one I used in my Flashlight-O-Death and a 10 watt high power 500 Lumen bare emitter. I brought in a several of each type to evaluate for utility in lighting our house.

I will be doing some more work on this which I will post as I have results. Here are some preliminary findings:

First images is the three different units and their ratings. Below is the SKU for each From Dealextreme. The most expensive is the flashlight module at about 12 dollars and the other two are 8 - 9 dollars each.

As you can see two of the MR16 track light bulbs do a very respectable job with a nice daylight white without being overly blue. They are also a nice compromise between a narrow spot and a wide flood, excellent for plant lights and accent lighting. I will be ordering a bunch of these after they have a month to either burn in or out. One of these in an appropriate desk lamp would make an excellent task light.

Next is the E27 standard screw in bulb. It isn't as bright but with the proper use of a reflector it makes an acceptable "night light" that can be left on 24/7 as it only draws about 2 watts. The IR activated lights don't pick up the vehicle in cold weather so we need something that is always on.

The brighter lighting in the background is the LED porch light I posted about previously.

This next is a side by side test of the work lamp module. The new module is very much brighter, more so than the specs would indicate. There is no question that it will produce sufficient lighting in any task light application.

Last is the 10 watt emitter. I haven't had time to do more than hook it up to see if it works. All I can say is that trying to look at it is like staring into the Sun. I will be using several of these either as lighting in the living room Ceiling light or to make a replacement for one of the 300 watt halogen flood lights we use outside.

Last edited by Evan; 02-14-2010, 01:31 PM.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Thanks Evan, very interesting thread, look forward to reading more.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Very cool, Iv wanted to add a halogen style light to my mill/lathe, but I hate the halogen heat, kinda assumed LED would be much more suitable but wasent all that sure if a 5W led would stand up vs a 50W halogen.
      Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

They still need to fix that cold blue light........ but it's closer....

And a spot is what you have, not general lighting.

it will be a while still, seemingly.

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Comment

I think that LED's have made great progress and will continue to do so. At this point, I think they are best for focused lighting. For lots of broad area light, fluorescent lights are still best. Consider this - a 40 watt tube will yield about 2800 lumens.

Comment

oh, forgot to ask, what where the price of those modules evan?
            Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons
              oh, forgot to ask, what where the price of those modules evan?
              See the DealExtreme page at http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.907

I've purchased from them before and they're honest, so far. Basitds won't sell me a kill-o-watt laser, though The hi-power lasers are not legal here anyway, but it would still be fun.

Comment

Good Info!

Thanks for doing the analysis and posting the results.
                A lot of us are interested in these devices.

Rgds
                Michael

Australia

Comment

After burning the back of my hand for the second time on my lathe work light. It is time for a LED replacement great timing Evan. Now I need to find a replacement bulb.

Comment

They still need to fix that cold blue light........ but it's closer....
                    I LIKE that colour. If I didn't I would buy the warm white LEDs. They don't need to fix anything, that's ancient history. Those lights are the same colour temperature as sunlight, 6500K.

Comment

I think that LED's have made great progress and will continue to do so. At this point, I think they are best for focused lighting. For lots of broad area light, fluorescent lights are still best. Consider this - a 40 watt tube will yield about 2800 lumens.
                      They now sell 24 watt LED direct replacement tubes for 48" fixtures in warm or cool white that put out 2200 lumens. I don't know the price for sure but I seem to recall some at around $20 with 80% output after 50,000 hours.

Comment

Probably a stupid question...I am sloooowly finishing basement billards room. I was going to put in recess lights. Can I put something like these on a dimmer? Thanks Evan.

Comment

Most cannot be operated on a dimmer unless you build your own current limiter circuit.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy13
                            After burning the back of my hand for the second time on my lathe work light. It is time for a LED replacement great timing Evan. Now I need to find a replacement bulb.
                            I have been following Evan's thread(s) closely and used one of the 200 lumen bulbs like Evan showed earlier and looks like the 320 in the first post, I'll get some pics tomorrow.
                            I found a bit of alloy tube nearly the right size, rested a ball pein hammer, ball end into the tube and stuck it under the press to flair the end , then bored a few thou out the tube so the light fitted.

Ripped the springs off and soldered the lead from a 5V DC 350Ma Nokia phone wall wart that was spare. Used a spare new coolant tube and a magnet out of a big old speaker to make a light for the Bridgy.

Works brilliantly and has doubled the resale value of the Bridgy.

I have it on all day and at night it's very slightly warm, need to sort the base out as it's a bit of a kludge at present but it proves the concept.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Farnell have an article about the Nat Semi LM3445 in the latest edition of their Tech First Journal...

Light emitted from an LED changes instantly with the current through it..
                              So if your LEDs are AC powered and dimmed (and they dont have a chip to regulate current) they will flicker at main frequencys..

If you power them with DC...with a linear PSU or a high rate Pulse width modulator... then there will be no flicker problems...

Evan...How much (if you dont mind me asking) was the 10watt emitter...I have 10watt emitters in my catalogs but they are hideously expensive..

Rob

Comment

Working...
                              X