Business- ethics/courtesy/waiting question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Business- ethics/courtesy/waiting question

As you all know, my lathe motor went kaput on me.
    So, I've decided to upgrade to a 3-phase, VFD setup.
    I went my local Armature shop on Thursday, dropped off my old motor to match size and pulley, and told the guy that I wanted to purchase a new Baldor 3-phase, 2hp motor with a VFD setup.
    He said he'd look into it, and call me back.
    OK...Meanwhile my lathe's down, I have 4 hot jobs waiting on the floor, and I'm biting my nails, stressing out.
    How long should I wait for a reply before I start calling other Armature shops?
    3 days? 4 days?
    Man this sucks.........

How much is a suitable 1phase motor?

Comment

Call him immediately and let him know what's up. If he hasn't made any progress in a day or at least provided you a legitimate excuse for not getting it done in a day, call a different shop. It's not like you are asking for any service to be done to the motor - all the shop has to do is price a new motor and VFD for you. I can see waiting if you wanted bearings/rewinding/etc.

After two days, even if he had a legitimate excuse, call a different shop. As a matter of courtesy, you should let the first shop know that you are taking your buisness elsewhere due for reasons of expedience.

That's my two cents.

Comment

The thing is you could order the parts yourself and save money and time. If he can't get back to you in one day he don't want your business.

You should have told him your on a dead line and need it as fast as he can get it and two days would work. That would gave him notice your in a hurry.

You left it open and should have gave him a dead line date.
        It's only ink and paper

Comment

if the busines can do the price while your there or while on the phone then id go else wahere , i dont waite for anyone ,

Comment

Yea pricing should be a 'call ya back later today' thing.
            if they don't call ya back in 24 hours, they can't be bothered to sell ya it.
            Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

How long should I wait for a reply before I start calling other Armature shops?
              3 days? 4 days?
              Man this sucks.........
              Boy, you're not kidding!

Did you tell him you need it soon?
              Are you talking to one of the principles at the shop, or just some kid that doesn't want to be there?
              All he has to do is look it up and quote you a price, he doesn't have to carve it out of stone for crying out loud.

Maybe I'm lucky but the motor rebuild shop I do business with will always tell me how much I'm looking at, and give me an accurate day to pick anything up that wasn't in stock...before I leave his shop.

It doesn't sound like your armature shop guy deserves or wants your business.
              He wouldn't have mine for long with that kind of service.
              Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
              Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

I would expect a call back about pricing and ordering within the same business day that you asked, unless you were in there a half hour before closing, and then I would want to have an answer the next morning before lunch.

When people don't get back to me in a timely fashion, I move on.

Comment

I've moved on.....
                  I called a local Bearing supply shop, and they have a new Baldor motor, and VFD, IN STOCK. They're holding it for me, and I'll be scurrying down there to get it after work.
                  Tomorrow I'll be going to shop #1 and picking up my old motor. I still haven't heard back from Numbnuts at shop #1. They lost my business.

Comment

Good for you!
                    There's too many businesses out there that warrant your patronage, don't give it to someone that treats you like dirt. Numbnuts at shop number 1 will soon find out 1 is a lonely number.

Anyway, sounds like Christmas comes early to Live Oak, Texas.
                    You're gonna like your lathe a whole lot more now with the VFD.
                    Have fun.
                    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

VERY good move and tell him why your not buying from him, after he hands you your motor.
                      It's only ink and paper

Comment

Good move on telling shop #1 to pound sand

Not unlike me to keep a couple spare motors around the shop

Right now I have a spare 3 phase 2 Hp, a single phase 1 Hp, and 3 or 4 fractional single phase motors. If I see a "Good Deal" on a quality motor (Baldor, US Motors, Dayton, ect, ect) I pick it up and keep it on the shelf

Comment

Working...
                        X