Making files for die filer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making files for die filer

Recently acquired a die filer (Hartford, made by Robeson Mfg, Waterbury Conn) and I'll need more files for it. By looking thru the archives on this site, I've learned #1 New ones are hard to find! #2. When you find them, they are expensive!

Making some shouldn't be that hard. My machine takes files with 1/4" shanks, and I know to face the file so that it cuts on the down stroke.

Now what I don't know - - - What's the best way to fix a piece of file to the shank? Will soft solder hold adequately? Would brazing take the temper out of the peice of file?

So the question is to those of you who have made your own, What is the best way to fix the peice of file to the shank?

Thanks in advance!

You can turn some brass or steel 1/4" round tubes to fit the filer. grind down the end of your file to go into the tube loosely. Put B.J. Weld into the tube,and squish your file's ground end into the tube..

You should drill your little tubes only most of the way through. After inserting the file into the tube,place the tube into your die filer,and check the file for squareness above the die filer's table. Let it harden enough to not move when you take it out.

This is how the "Metal Lathe Accessories " guy says to do it. Google him.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks gwilson, Oh, so simple! Once again, I come up with too complex a solution! Didn't even give JB weld a thought.

Comment

He said B.J. hahahaha

Disclaimer: Wise crack caused by Beavus and Butthead influence. I am not responsible for what my fingers type. No disrespect to Mr. Wilson intended.
        Last edited by knudsen; 02-15-2010, 10:57 AM.

Comment

sounds like a lot of work....cutting the tangs off, brazing on a shaft, keeping it aligned and finding parallel files to do this to........all to save $5.00

http://www.victornet.com/cgi-bin/vic...Machine%3A1564

Comment

Originally posted by gwilson
            You can turn some brass or steel 1/4" round tubes to fit the filer. grind down the end of your file to go into the tube loosely. Put B.J. Weld into the tube,and squish your file's ground end into the tube..

This is how the "Metal Lathe Accessories " guy says to do it. Google him.
            It makes a LOT of difference how your filer holds files.

My Oliver holds them in two clamps, one slides in the overarm, so it can hold ANY file, even a tapered one, although those are not very useful in a filer.

The ones with a short file sticking up, and no overarm typically do use the round end. The MLA filer is a no-overarm type.

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

I have been grinding the shank of a file to make it fit in a Milwaulky with overarm. It works. Have not really used it to make parts but just to have a look.
              The way i think is filing mostly flat thin stock you can shorten the file for a fresh piece.
              Now how do you overcome the problem of getting a straight file.
              Just any file will rock the part back and forth. Are original files straight as a straight edge?

Edit: I just saw the Victornet link after posting. Hope they diliver by parcel!
              Last edited by interiorpainter; 02-16-2010, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Die filer files are straight and parallel.

Tapered files send your part on a wild ride, and may not produce the straight sides and sharp edges of the proper files.

However, many files are tapered in only one dimension, and the other faces can be used effectively. Probably better if you grind off the teeth on the unusable sides.

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
                X