OT: Killing weeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Killing weeds

Does anyone here have any good low cost methods for killing weeds? I have been trying round-up but it does not seem to work that well. I am thinking of using diesel fuel sprayed on but don't know how well it will work. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Steve

Yes diesel WILL kill the weeds, but DON'T let the government find out about it. You WILL be in deep you know what for doing it. Try using Round-up concentrate and mix it a little hotter then what they say. It works pretty good that way. Jim
    JIM : You don't get a 2nd chance to make a 1st impression.

Comment

Goats

Do not let the weeds get your goat. Jim

Comment

Diesel works great, if you light it.

Round-up is very good on some, not so good on others, and does NOTHING for some weeds.

It has to be absorbed, so you need to get it on growing tips, and you need to really wet down the weed, get it on underside of leaves if possible.

A light spritz does nothing but piss off some weeds..... they'll be back. It has to be absorbed well enough to be carried to the roots and totally mess up the metabolism.

And some vine-type weeds have a big root, which even several doses cannot kill. Trumpet vine is one like that.

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Comment

Here's how Bill Nye, "The Science Guy" got rid of his weeds:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive...19071nye7.html

Comment

Iv toyed with the idea of trying standard PH up or down. Mainly because I don't like using toxic chemicals that may or may not linger for who knows how long.

I mean, 1 liter of consentrate can adjust the PH of thousands of gallons of water to unsurivable conditions. And its just phosphoric acid or pottasium hydroxide (down/up respectively), so once its 'gone' it should'nt harm anything, indeed it should actualy help things grow (though likey much diffrent plants then origionaly grew there! due to the PH being way diffrent)

I have an area on my yard that was under a trampoline for years and had a ton of soap applyed onto the trampoline, so underneath because a sorta 'scorched earth' due to soap, to this day 10 years later grass doesnt grow very good there, but furns and a few other plants that don't usally stray that far from the forest have poped up and taken hold in the middle of my yard.

As for roundup usage, Iv heard of (mainly for blackberrys and other super nasty weeds) injecting it with a syringe directly into the plant near the base.
            Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

I was told that if you have some of the really "hard to get rid of" tap root vines etc..

sharpen a piece of copper wire and hammer it into the top of the root just under the surface..It should die within a few months never to return..

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by dp
                Here's how Bill Nye, "The Science Guy" got rid of his weeds:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive...19071nye7.html
                Thanks for casting a cloud over my childhood memories

Comment

R-up - are you using concentrate or RTU? What are you trying to kill, and when?
                  R-up needs acidic water, my water has a high Ph so I add "Actimaster" or ammonium sulfate to lower the Ph.
                  You should also use an adjuvant, (soap like liquid) to break the surface tension of the water.
                  If what you are spraying has a waxy leaf you will need to use the adjuvant at penatrant rates.
                  tough to kill plants - canary reed grass, english ivy, Himalaya black berries, etc. need a certain routine that coincides with the phase of plant growth. Many times R-up is tank mixed with crossbow to kill the tougher weeds.
                  Diesel was used alot in the old days, soap will do about the same thing. It takes the protective outer coating off the leaf surface and then they dry out.
                  More information would be helpful.

Comment

There is a great method demonstrated in "The World's Fastest Indian" by Anthony Hopkins playing Burt Munro!

Comment

Originally posted by MrSleepy
                      I was told that if you have some of the really "hard to get rid of" tap root vines etc..

sharpen a piece of copper wire and hammer it into the top of the root just under the surface..It should die within a few months never to return..

Rob
                      Will that work on people?

I get loads of free commercial pesticide/herbacide, so that gets 90% of the driveway weeds. Stuff for railroad right of way works great! For the rest I use:

Comment

R up work mostly on fresh gowing plants and remove the existant plants. It give a chance to somethings else to grow. To clear the path with a one year resistance use salt saumure (saturate water with salt). Cheap, legal, safe

Comment

yeah, waxy plants like "english ivy" are nearly proof against Roundup..... they laugh at it, and at many other herbicides.

"Hand picking" is the best for those, hand pull each and every plant runner. No, this is NOT practical unless you have a lot of cheap labor who work diligently.

Keep eye on ball.
                          Hashim Khan

Comment

For weeds in driveway cracks, gasoline kills them in one day.
                            It has never failed.

--Doozer
                            DZER

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. Most of the weeds are just common weeds the big problem is the cost of the round up seems to take 2 doses to work and that gets expensive quick on a few acres. I have been using the concentrate and mixing it heavy. Where could I get some of the chemical the railroads use it seems to work good.

Comment

Working...
                              X