My latest machine tool acquisition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My latest machine tool acquisition

Friday evening - I'm browsing through the 'buy & sell' classifieds and see "Ammco 7" metal shaper". What a shock...1st time I've seen a shaper advertised locally.

So, 'course I had to go & check it out. My impressions: is it ever tiny & is it ever cute... Brought it home yesterday. First machine tool I've actually picked up & carried into the shop. Also the first one in a while that's in working order...made chips with it last evening.

congrat. Herb

I'm a hobbiest in machining, I have all bench top tools, drill press, micro-mill drill, and 7X10 mini lathe, can a hobbiest use a shaper, and benefit from it, and what exactly does a shaper do,,,reason I'm asking these questions is it sounds like they can be small enough to be bench top machine tools..and are they affordable,,within a $200 range??

Thanks

Comment

1)
      I used a shaper in my shop for all the tasks that would have gone on a mill. Worked fine, except a vertical mill will do some things a shaper really isn't suited for (and vice-versa)

2)
      I paid less than $200 for my Atlas. I hear of, and have seen on ebay, similar machines at up to $1200, which I think is insane, even when they are tricked out, painted and so forth.
      If they had been 100% scraped-in by someone who knew how, that might be different. Atlas never did that at the factory, so it could be "better than new" and worth it.

3) what does it do?
      first, it will hog off material faster than anything else in your shop.

second, it will generate flat surfaces that are easily scraped-in

third it will do dovetails, splines, internal keyways, gears etc that are a pain on other machines,

fourth it will do all that with cheap tooling. All you need is a grinder and some $3 toolbits.

[This message has been edited by Oso (edited 10-26-2003).]

Comment

Same story.Same make. Different day. I brought it home and started making chips. It is a wonder I could have gone all these years without it. Made a chip catcher out of a clear face sheild, now I can watch it run while operating my lathe or mill. So while it is slow, it is steady and it can make some really flat really smooth surfaces. No cutter marks, Just "Thrud Shiney".
        I know it will do some other chores like keyways, gear teeth ect. but those jobs haven't happened yet.
        The only problem is I now want a bigger one.

Comment

those atlas shapers do they have bench top machines, because according to the original post herb was able to carry it into his shop, that's the kind of shaper I would like something portable.

Is there a web site for portable shapers.
          Thanks

Comment

Wouldn't ot be great if someone offeered a casting kit for one of these.(Sigh)

Comment

Double post sorry.

[This message has been edited by JCHannum (edited 10-26-2003).]
              Jim H.

Comment

HSM Rule #7 do not argue with anyone who can carry an Aamco shaper into his shop. the Atlas weigh 350#, the Aamco are a tad larger.
                Gingery has plans for making a shaper from castings. Marsh Collins had a write up in HSM a couple of years ago adapting those plans to welded construction. Both are within the ability of the average HSM type. Smaller too.
                Jim H.

Comment

Make's you wonder why the Chinese, AKA Harbor Freight, Grizzly, etc. haven't jumped on this yet. Shapers in 7 - 16 inches for the HSM.

Bernard

Comment

I built Marsh Collins version of Gingery's shaper, when it came out. The machine works great! I upsized it just a little. I am very impressed with what it will do. You can make this machine if you wish to do so, you will not be sorry!!

Comment

dvk,
                      Several companies - Atlas, Southbend, Logan, Ammco, and others built small shapers.

For information and pictures, check out the yahoo shaper group

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Metal_Shapers/

and/or the UK Lathe site

http://www.lathes.co.uk/page21.html

My little Ammco is actually the first of this class of shaper that I've seen, other than in pictures. It occupies a space about 30" long, 18" wide and 24" high.
                      I currently have it sitting on a 30" high table and this seems about right.

JC - not sure what this Ammco weighs, but it's far less than 350lbs. Did they make more than one model?

Comment

Just checked Tony's lathe site. The Aamco weighs 225#. Still wouldn't argue with guy who could carry one around.
                        Jim H.

Comment

Working...
                        X