Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mitutoyo caliper question

Hey,
    I have a Mitutoya claiper (not digital). I zero it. I open it up to say an inch. I close it and it reads .020. I open it to an inch and colse it. It reads .040. Every time it is opened and closed it reads another .020 increase form the original zero!!! No the dial is not moving it is locked down. Anybody have any clues??? Thanks in advance for the help Fred

If I had to guess, perhaps it is skipping a tooth on a gear.

They don't last forever.

Comment

Yeah on the tooth ---

Take a magnifying glass and inspect the teeth closely .... I had a Brown & Sharpe that did similar and it had a barely noticeable tooth with a little ding in it.
      If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

If there is dirt in the rack or gear or a damaged tooth, it will skip whenever it goes over that one. A lot of calipers will skip .025. They have coarser teeth than yours. You can clean out the rack with an old toothbrush. Try to see what the problem is first so you will know when it's been corrected.

Comment

Can't be a broken tooth because I am a dentist! Thanks for all the help, Best regards Fred

Comment

Clened the ever lovin smegma out of the thing and it is working fine. Must have been something stuck up some where. Thanks to all for the help! Fred

Comment

The needle is loose on the stem. Opps, missed your last post.
              It's only ink and paper

Comment

Hey all right. you'uns did good on that one, now how 'bout this one. Fowler digital caliper stuck on 22.28 mm. Open it, close it, turn it off, turn it on, and the thing stays on 22.28. Replace the battery the other day cause it wouldn't come on. worked ok for a day and now its stuck. Just now removed the battery and reinstalled it and the display reads 88.8.88 lower case 5 and on the left end "in" over "mm". In other words everything that can light up on the display is lit up. Opening and closing it changes nothing. Should I just chuck it into the bin?

Comment

Has it got some oil on it or maybe it is damp, these things will screw up a digital real fast.

Try cleaning it and sometimes taking out the battery and leaving it for a while will fix it. I have two and when one of them goes wacky I remove the battery and use the other until it goes wacky and go back to the first one and it will be OK.

Humidity is a real problem with digital's.
                  The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Originally posted by laddy
                    Can't be a broken tooth because I am a dentist! Thanks for all the help, Best regards Fred
                    now thats going to be interesting how do you apply the smarts for the dentist thing in this case, epoxy filler gold or silver which one to choose i dont know doc looks like some surgery here to me,

Comment

Implant or False teeth!

Comment

Originally posted by HSS
                        Hey all right. you'uns did good on that one, now how 'bout this one. Fowler digital caliper stuck on 22.28 mm. Open it, close it, turn it off, turn it on, and the thing stays on 22.28. Replace the battery the other day cause it wouldn't come on. worked ok for a day and now its stuck. Just now removed the battery and reinstalled it and the display reads 88.8.88 lower case 5 and on the left end "in" over "mm". In other words everything that can light up on the display is lit up. Opening and closing it changes nothing. Should I just chuck it into the bin?
                        I would try to remove the plastic cover and expose the circuit board. My guess is that a bit of coolant or a metal sliver has found its way in there and is causing a short. Once you get the cover off you can wash the whole thing with distilled water and a very soft brush. (bottled water is pure enough for this purpose but use water only, no soap) Once it has been flushed and patted dry, put it into a kitchen oven that has been preheated to 200 degrees. After placing it in, TURN THE OVEN OFF and come back in 1-2 hours. (no peeking) The rinsing will have flushed out any coolant or foreign material and the heat from the oven will have dried the water out of all the nooks and crannies.

This trick works on TV remotes too. The idea is that electronics can handle being washed and dried, but we have to ensure that all the water is gone before powering it back up.

If that does not work, it's time for a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut
                          Has it got some oil on it or maybe it is damp, these things will screw up a digital real fast.

Try cleaning it and sometimes taking out the battery and leaving it for a while will fix it. I have two and when one of them goes wacky I remove the battery and use the other until it goes wacky and go back to the first one and it will be OK.

Humidity is a real problem with digital's.
                          You da man, loose nut. It must have been humidity. I took the battery out this morning and when I got home from work just now, I put the battery back in and it is back working. Thanks

Patrick

Comment

Buy a cheap metal mailbox, the kind with the flag on the side. Cut a hole in the back and install a SMALL electric light. A nightlight sized bulb is plenty. LED won't work and anything else gets too hot. Keep your electronic calipers, mics, etc in the mailbox at night and the bulb will keep them warm and dry.

Comment

Originally posted by websterz
                              Buy a cheap metal mailbox, the kind with the flag on the side. Cut a hole in the back and install a SMALL electric light. A nightlight sized bulb is plenty. LED won't work and anything else gets too hot. Keep your electronic calipers, mics, etc in the mailbox at night and the bulb will keep them warm and dry.
                              Hey, thanks for the idea websterz. However I think I will get my son to make me a metal box with a bulb. He needs the experience since I do nearly all of the sheetmetal layout and he wants to learn. He will also have to solder all the joints.

Patrick

Comment

Working...
                              X