Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 531blackbanshee
    replied
    the setup time on a mill is gonna kill you,in comparison to a kwik-way (or the like)small engine boring bar where you clamp the cylinder to the bottom of the table center up and you are ready to cut in 2 minutes.
    i have a mill and big and little kwik-ways (i can bore from 1.375 - 4.500)and would not bother with trying to bore cylinders on the mill unless it did not fit the work envelope of my boring bars.my .02 hth,

leon

Leave a comment:

• Carld
    replied
    It should be done with an automotive boring bar but since you want to use a mill I will explain some things.

First and very important, DOES THE QUILL HAVE ENOUGH TRAVEL TO BORE THE LENGTH OF THE CYLINDER BORE?

Second, you have to have the head of the mill indicated in to as near perfect as you can get it. "0" in the X and Y would be nice.

Third, since many motorcycle cylinders are not open on both ends you have to make a fixture to mount the jug under that is as near parallel to the table as you can get, "0" in the X and Y would be nice.

Fourth, you have to determine if the mounting face of the jug is perpendicular to the bore and if it is mount it under the fixture so the boring bar can reach it. At this point you will see that the hole through the fixture has to be bigger than the bore.

Leave a comment:

• Toolguy
    replied
    There are a lot of different kinds of mills. What one do you have?

Leave a comment:

• benniet
    started a topic boring on a mill

boring on a mill

I am new at using a mill for automotive use the question is how do you bore on a mill and what tooling do you need I mostly bore motorcycle cylenders.
Working...
X