OT More Vista woes: speakers turned off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT More Vista woes: speakers turned off

The wife's laptop seems to have a new [to me at least] problem: the speakers both onboard and plugin keep getting turned off somehow. It's been going on for some time. It's hard for me to dig into it as she has it setup in another language, but have worked through the fixes that have come up on Google without success. Anybody else have that problem? I have a laptop with Vista on it but have never seen this problem on it.

Originally posted by jim davies
    The wife's laptop seems to have a new [to me at least] problem: the speakers both onboard and plugin keep getting turned off somehow. It's been going on for some time. It's hard for me to dig into it as she has it setup in another language, but have worked through the fixes that have come up on Google without success. Anybody else have that problem? I have a laptop with Vista on it but have never seen this problem on it.
    Strange, for sure! Turned off as in MUTED? or volume set at minimum? Check the dates on driver files, recent update? I took a pass on Vista . . . seemed to have too many glitches. Of course I am still waiting on one driver for 7 . . . darn ATI . . .

if you figure it out please post solution .. inquiring minds want to know

fred

Comment

Jim, almost every laptop I've used has a traybar app provided by the manufacturer that controls the audio with external buttons, usually at the top, immediately underneath the screen hinge.

Newer laptops will have the volume and mute controls with a touch-sensitive strip that may not look like a conventional button, so you may be hitting the mute button by accident.

My 2 year old Son is drawn to our family laptop like a moth to a flame, and he manages to change every audio setting on the machine if we don't catch him in time...
      "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Local Shared Object

Local Shared Object http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager07.html

Go here to view LSO [Local Shared Object] and delete them from your PC.

Read the instructions to change the settings.

I posted this on another thread. Also search on LSOs and read what they do
        to your software settings.

LSOs are NOT nice things. CC and AVG and SpyBot do NOT clean them out.

HTH

Comment

Wrong thread David.
          "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

davidfe]Local Shared Object http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager07.html

Go here to view LSO [Local Shared Object] and delete them from your PC.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Read the instructions to change the settings.

Thanks for this info. Learn something in this group every time I log in.

Comment

The reason they are turned off is that there is "no audio device" loaded. There seems to be an extensive amount of info on the net on this problem, but it mostly is people complaining about it. There are a few "solutions" which don't seem to work at least in this case. I think the problem is made worse by the wife's approach to the problem which includes asking for help and doing those parts of the suggestions she agrees with. She bought another laptop on the weekend [Windose 7] and it is having problems, now, too.

Comment

Originally posted by jim davies
                The reason they are turned off is that there is "no audio device" loaded.
                Somehow the audio drivers were disabled or uninstalled. Go to the manufacturer and re-download the audio drivers.

Comment

I have this problem as well... sometimes the audio drivers don't load... other times the DVD player drivers don't load. It seems pretty random and a re-boot usually brings everything back up again. And sometimes not.

Wish I had a better solution for you. I always just figured it was my crappy Toshiba laptop.

Comment

Reloading drivers doesn't help. On the net there are discussions about the software doing "rollbacks" ie deleting just installed drivers. Was just sitting here next to the wife's laptop when the Windose chime sound announced the reapperance of the audio driver. It happened spontaneously again last night, I am told. Disappeared again later. FWIW, she wasn't doing anything with her laptop when the divers reappeared just now.

Comment

Working...
                    X