My nose didget vs. 6" Cushman Chuck @ 579.6 FPM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My nose didget vs. 6" Cushman Chuck @ 579.6 FPM

My 6" Cushman chuck was running at 579.6 fpm today as I put the finishing touches on a 4 gang pulley being bored out to fit my 1 1/2 HP motors 7/8 shaft for the belt grinder I'm in the middle of building. I was really feeling pretty good about it, success always feels good.

Randy Travis's I Told You So album was fired up in the 550 watt 5 channel JVC RX788V receiver and the Baby Come Home (before you kill us all) tune was giving the 100 Watt Sony Woofer a good workout as it kept the shops arteries filled with copious amounts of knee knocking, feet tapping bass. You could feel it in your chest.

I had taken my finishing cut on the pulley and had just powered down the lathe to see if my test stock would fit the hole I had just bored. If you know the song you know I was likely helping Randy belt it out! As the chuck spun down, I was standing more to the right of it then I normally am so when I reached up to let my hand slow the chuck down as I've done a thousand times before, one of the jaws slammed into my nose picking finger and mangled up my finger nail a bit. After about 15 minutes with a Puffs Plus jammed on it (I'm talking about my finger) the bleeding stopped. I'll have to be very carefull with it for awhile, fortunately my right nostril is more of a problem then my left.

There is a God and he does watch after fools. He helped me out once before when I knelt down in front of my spinning 10" cabinet saw, picked up some cut-off chunks and set them up on the table saw into the spinning carbide blade. One chunk of wood tore a callus I have had for 35 years of my palm. Work safe guys, especially if you pick your nose. Getting your elbow up there may not work as well
    Last edited by Your Old Dog; 02-18-2010, 07:07 PM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

I came home one day and went out in the shed to do a little work and noticed wood chips around that I didn't remember. I was talking to my 72 year old Dad later and asked if he had been in my shed doing something.

Sure enough he came over and used my power miter saw. Turns out that while he was trying to make a cut on a piece of crown molding he pulled the spinning blade down slowly (luckily) and touched the crystal of his watch. Cut a little chip out before he let the saw go back up.

If he had been a little more sure of the placement of the cut he probably would have pulled down very quickly on the saw and severed his hand. Scary.

As YOD said, work safe!

Comment

Personally? if I listened to Country music I would too be thinking of ways to off myself.. The 70s outlaw country singers were mostly allright.

Metallica.. Led Zepplin.. Rolling stones.. when I can't have Pink floyd to go to sleep by I have bad dreams. (I'm 52 and never will grow up)

Hang in there bud.. glad you still got all the digits.
      Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Too much volume on the music? Change to Classical perhaps? Rap? Salsa?

When I was a safety consultant I would frequently review accidents that occurred at the accounts to which I was assigned. In wood and metal working, the most common accidents as I recall were usually removing wood scraps or moving hands near chucks when the machines were just shut down and yet still moving.

How about leaving the music off?

Comment

Ive done a few stupid lathe things that drew blood. Thank God it was on the 10" Atlas that I learned on, years ago. Had I been inexperienced and learning on a gearhead lathe, things would have less forgiving.

Glad you are Ok, YOD.

I also have a pretty good sound system in my shop. Head unit is a Pioneer, digital tuning, pulls stations way in form Canada. Runs through a digital equalizer, I have two 300 watt (I think) 70 volt line amps with six (I think) 70v speakers around the ceiling. It sounds pretty sweet.

--Doozer
          Last edited by Doozer; 02-18-2010, 09:51 PM.
          DZER

Comment

my oops was dumber than dumb! the mill wasnt even running and i reached in the wipe the chips off the vise and jammed a 1" end mill into my index fingers middle knuckle. bled like a stuck hog pigpen

Comment

I've been fortunate in never having anything worse than cuts, scrapes and slivers from metal working tools. I got a fingernail in a router 45 years ago but don't do much woodworking anymore. However I did have a project this week that required clearing off the table of the old DeWalt radial arm saw. Frankly it scares me sh!tless but being thoughtful and deliberate around it is probably a good thing.
              "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

I was cutting some chain links in half with an abrasive wheel on a radial arm saw. I was holding the chain links with pliers, what could go wrong? Well, I forgot to lock the carriage and the #@%! saw came at me! That was about 15 years ago. I still have a scar on my thumb, but the thumb is still there!

It is so easy to get complacent. Take your time and think about everything you do when working around power equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by TGTool
                  ............. However I did have a project this week that required clearing off the table of the old DeWalt radial arm saw. Frankly it scares me sh!tless but being thoughtful and deliberate around it is probably a good thing.
                  That's the only tool I needed for a fully complete woodworking shop. I found a nice deal on a 10" DeWalt. I made maybe 10 cuts with it and it scared me to death. I am fully comfortable with all my tools including my 10" cabinet saw but the DeWalt radial arm saw was sold off and I use a 10" mitre saw in it's place.
                  Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer
                    I also have a pretty good sound system in my shop. Head unit is a Pioneer, digital tuning, pulls stations way in form Canada. Runs through a digital equalizer, I have two 300 watt (I think) 70 volt line amps with six (I think) 70v speakers around the ceiling. It sounds pretty sweet.

--Doozer
                    So it's you! Could you back that puppy down a tad so I won't have to blast mine so loud ?? LOL

Originally posted by Dawai
                    Personally? if I listened to Country music I would too be thinking of ways to off myself.. ..................
                    I will admit, it takes a refined musical ear to appreciate all the attributes of Country music At least I can sing along with it, I'd like to hear you sing along with Metalica. I bet I won't look singing along with Randy as you will with Metalica
                    Last edited by Your Old Dog; 02-18-2010, 11:17 PM.

Comment

How could you or anyone else hear what your singing with the music that loud and who would care?

I like the Delta blues from the 20's and 30's and have about 100 CD's if it to listen to. I play it loud but not that loud.

YOD, I too have hit a finger or thumb on a spinning chuck jaw and it hurts like crazy and makes me jump and shout all kinds of vulgar words until I get calmed down.
                      It's only ink and paper

Comment

Originally posted by Your Old Dog
                        My 6" Cushman chuck was running at 579.6 fpm today as I put the finishing touches on a 4 gang pulley being bored out to fit my 1 1/2 HP motors 7/8 shaft for the belt grinder I'm in the middle of building. I was really feeling pretty good about it, success always feels good.

Randy Travis's I Told You So album was fired up in the 550 watt 5 channel JVC RX788V receiver and the Baby Come Home (before you kill us all) tune was giving the 100 Watt Sony Woofer a good workout as it kept the shops arteries filled with copious amounts of knee knocking, feet tapping bass. You could feel it in your chest.

I had taken my finishing cut on the pulley and had just powered down the lathe to see if my test stock would fit the hole I had just bored. If you know the song you know I was likely helping Randy belt it out! As the chuck spun down, I was standing more to the right of it then I normally am so when I reached up to let my hand slow the chuck down as I've done a thousand times before, one of the jaws slammed into my nose picking finger and mangled up my finger nail a bit. After about 15 minutes with a Puffs Plus jammed on it (I'm talking about my finger) the bleeding stopped. I'll have to be very carefull with it for awhile, fortunately my right nostril is more of a problem then my left.

There is a God and he does watch after fools. He helped me out once before when I knelt down in front of my spinning 10" cabinet saw, picked up some cut-off chunks and set them up on the table saw into the spinning carbide blade. One chunk of wood tore a callus I have had for 35 years of my palm. Work safe guys, especially if you pick your nose. Getting your elbow up there may not work as well
                        YOD,

Funny but I had the same damn thing happen to me just me music was different. I do believe I had on some bluegrass, and was working with my 4 jaw which is a good 2 inches if not more shallower than my 3 jaw.

I twanged my salute finger. While there was no blood it sure did hurt to offer tribute to others... but not so much that I couldn't continue.

Comment

Originally posted by Walter
                          ......................I twanged my salute finger. While there was no blood it sure did hurt to offer tribute to others... but not so much that I couldn't continue.
                          Well I'm just glad it wasn't my thumb or I'd have nothing to do while I was just standing around.

Comment

What's with the tissues? Didn't you have an oily shop rag right there? Much more manly My wife's always buying those lotion impregnated snot rags, and I told her I wanted at least one box of plain tissues. I hate those thing; when I use a facial tissue, I'm trying to get the snot off my face, and those things keep putting it back on! While Randy Travis is very manly, but Sid Vicious would probably be less mesmerizing Try some cheap HF forceps, they make great bugger grabbers, they are deep penetrating and you'll look smart like a doctor picking your nose with a medical device! Of course I'm just funnin' yu. Sorry you got hurt. Fingernail injuries are the worst!

I got a couple of eye opening injuries myself recently, very minor damage. When I put my 4" 4 jaw on, and saw those claws sticking out while it holds 2" bar, I swore I would never stick my fingers in those. Well, so much for oaths, as I was filing along happily, I went to lift the file and inspect my work and stuck my right index finger right in there. Lucky, I think, as my finger did not go in far, it was running full blast. The outer under side of the fingernail area went in, hurt like hell and I went back to work after a few minutes of colorful Navy language that I won't repeat here. Forgot about it until the next day, didn't see much there, maybe a slight darkness, but it hurt like hell if touched for at least 5 or 6 days. Then, I had a headache on a shop night, took off my glasses which helps and took the pills, laid down for a while and went out forgetting my glasses. I normally sit or stand so my face is well out of the normal chip path. I was sitting with my belly in the path of a fly cutter, and one musta bounced, and hit me in the lower eye lid, leaving it's mark. Definitely woulda been an ER night if I sat 1/2" lower. That chip had to bounce at 45 degree to get to my eye. Glasses would have covered the injury, which is still there a week later. I guess it was a combination burn/cut. It didn't bleed, and it's never hurt much, but the damned thing stuck and I had to pull it out. Lesson learned: Always be ready to look away real fast.
                            Last edited by knudsen; 02-19-2010, 09:37 AM.

Comment

I actually turned the music up loud yesterday when the wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald came on the radio. Spine chilling story/song. Also reminds me of what the great lakes cities used to be. I have an aluminum shovel from the grain elevators here in Buffalo. No more grain scoopers jobs here for 10 years. The marine legs of the elevators sit idle, being replaced by a boom conveyor that is attached to the ship. Every time I use that shovel (usually for snow, lately), it reminds me of what Buffalo used to be. Standing on the roof of the 12th floor of the grain elevators and looking out over lake Erie gives me a chill very much lilke when I hear The Wreck. Then I look over the other side, and I see the city, people going on about their daily buisness and unable to see the view of where we as a city were, and where we are going. I know where the city is going. A quick glance of the pigeons on the ground reminds me of that. Damn it's cold. I don't think the wind ever stops up here. I can set my speakers up in a new shop.

--Doozer
                              DZER

Comment

Working...
                              X