No announcement yet.

Home made boring bars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sportandmiah, If you start on the page on this link and go to the next pages there are indexable boring bars that may do what you want. Grinding HSS is much cheaper than buying inserts and both get dull.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=227&PMCTLG=00

It's your call.
    It's only ink and paper

Comment

$14 per insert for those tiny boring bars? sheesh! Sold in packs of 10, wonderful, $140+toolholder before you can bore your first hole.
      http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...PARTPG=INLMK32
      You can nearly buy solid carbide boring bars for that price ($17...) likey a little more sharpenable and those indexable holders will not be as rigid unless they are also made of solid carbide.. and I did'nt see em advertiseing that
      (Can you even make an insert holder outta solid carbide? well I mean, can you make TINY threaded holes in solid carbide?)

Down to 0.05" min bore, gez! tiny things.
      Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

After some consideration, I think I will take another look at HSS and other forms of home made boring bars. Granted, inserts are easier, but I've done a lot of reading the past few days both here and other sites and there are more options to grinding my own. That being said, any assistance in grinding boring bars is appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons
          $14 per insert for those tiny boring bars? sheesh! Sold in packs of 10, wonderful, $140+toolholder before you can bore your first hole.
          http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...PARTPG=INLMK32
          You can nearly buy solid carbide boring bars for that price ($17...) likey a little more sharpenable and those indexable holders will not be as rigid unless they are also made of solid carbide.. and I did'nt see em advertiseing that
          (Can you even make an insert holder outta solid carbide? well I mean, can you make TINY threaded holes in solid carbide?)

Down to 0.05" min bore, gez! tiny things.
          Here's a link to a carbide boring bar made by Circle with a min. bore of .260.
          http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...PMAKA=317-3463
          Certainly not cheap. I have a little larger Circle boring bar and it is nice. You don't have to buy the full package qty of inserts but they're still expensive.

Bob

Comment

I posted this some time ago so I guess Paul may have forgotten it or didn't see it.

This boring bar is made from a 1/4" grade 8 bolt with a 1/8 hole drilled coaxially though the end and a broken length of 1/8 carbide milling cutter driven in the bar for rigidity. The insert holder is a split socket head cap screw that threads into the end of the bar and clamps the insert in the end as it tightens. It will fit in a 1/4" hole.

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Cute technique, I never thought of carbide cored boring bars before!

Hot Bob: Ahh. that is solid carbide.. odd how it only says so on the catalog page and not the ordering page.
              Wonder how on earth they drilled/taped that hole? Or maybe if the tip is something more standard.

Theres an idea for your own high quality boring bars. solid carbide round bar + nub of steel brazed on the tip for the insert holder.

Or maybe just a nub of HSS brazed on and replaced as needed. giving you the awsome rigidity of a carbide shank with the sharpness of HSS.
              Last edited by Black_Moons; 02-24-2010, 01:28 PM.
              Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

This is a good one

I have to say this is a darn good idea; could never though of that. I had been looking for one to do a 8.5 mm hole...

Thanks...

[QUOTE=Evan]I posted this some time ago so I guess Paul may have forgotten it or didn't see it.

This boring bar is made from a 1/4" grade 8 bolt with a 1/8 hole drilled coaxially though the end and a broken length of 1/8 carbide milling cutter driven in the bar for rigidity. The insert holder is a split socket head cap screw that threads into the end of the bar and clamps the insert in the end as it tightens. It will fit in a 1/4" hole.
                Last edited by htrantx; 04-02-2010, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X