Secrets of keeping hands clean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secrets of keeping hands clean

What are your preferences and approaches for keeping your hands/nails clean after working?

I currently spend most of my shop time cleaning and repairing a few pieces of machinery, and am trying to find a way to protect/clean nail beds efficiently. Gloves are out of question.

I usually use Boraxo powder and hand brush for hand washing, but getting rid of black nails (nails corners) is next to impossible and takes a few days. I even tried covering the tips of my fingers with a nail polish before starting to work, but it wasn't efficient at all. In the past I've heard of pre-soaping hands prior to work, but it didn't work either.

When my tasks involve frequent putting my hands into clean oil or diesel fuel, they remain cleaner, of course, but it doesn't look like a suitable remedy.

What's your take on this issue? Any good old tricks?
    Mike
    WI/IL border, USA

Nail Polish !!

You sure your names not MichelleP

barrier cream is the stuff to use ..

all the best.markj

Comment

Become a lawyer or an accountant. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Lately I have had my hands in the parts washer (mineral spirits) and around lacquer thinner (wiping off parts to be painted) and my hands got very dirty each day. I found for cleaning them without drying out the skin, I used some Goo Gone or Goof Off orange cleaner in the spray bottle. It has orange oil or citrus oil, something like that. Anyhow, give about 4 or 5 sprays and work it into your hands well. Rinse with fairly hot water, and it leaves your hands really clean without the dryness from the solvents I was using during the day. Even the fingerprints and cracks in the skin were clean, not left black as usual washing with Gojo or Lava soap or Pumice.
      As for pre-getting dirty protection, perhaps give your hands a spray with the same Goo Gone orange cleaner. The citrus oil may keep dirt from getting to deeply embedded in your skin.

--Doozer
      Last edited by Doozer; 02-20-2010, 08:49 PM.
      DZER

Comment

Does any one think thin disposal latex gloves are as dangerous as leather or fabric gloves? They tear and rip easily, but do keep you clean. I don't think they've got enough oomph to suck you into any spinning machine.

Comment

Latex gloves hold in hand sweat, which is uncomfortable and annoying.

--Doozer
          DZER

Comment

We use the Go-Jo Supro (I think) it comes in the white box with green lettering. That is in the pump hand dispenser but it is $60.00 a 750ml box. But it works the worst thing I have to clean off my hands is a coal tar epoxy paint and it cuts it with ease.

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer

--Doozer
              But....that hand sweat will actually help clean your hands. It is a pain in the butt when you reach up for something and the water runs out of the glove and down to your elbow. Been there and done that.
              I wear nitrile gloves most of the time in the shops but I take them off quite often just to answer the frickin phone.

Comment

I wear those mechanics gloves while working on machines, However I don't use them when running one. they do keep your hands clean while working on oily parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer

--Doozer
                  Theirs nothing better than when your painting and reach up to do a touch up. And sweat runs out of your glove and on to the fresh paint

Comment

My first reaction is that if you aren't into the filth and grime, you are in the wrong biz. For years I got myself covered head-to-toe with all manner of grease and grime. From crawling around inside of aircraft engine bays, to rebuilding electric motors on huge printing presses. I have paid for all of these good times with blood. I have always worried more about keeping all my fingers, not so much about keeping them clean.

That said, my skin is allergic to the EDM oil and other coolants where I work. I wear gloves all day. I've grown very accustomed to them, and I now work much better with them, than without them. I suggest You try some good-fitting nitrile gloves. They are sensitive enough to turn nuts and bolts all day, and when you are done, peel them off and toss in the trash bin.

I'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty (BTDT!), but having a box of good gloves in the shop is much better than spending all that cash on towels, and handcleaners, and the like.
                    Sometimes the professional is hidebound by tradition while the skilled amateur, not knowing it can't be done blazes a new trail. -JCHannum

Comment

Use GOOP. It has a lot of Lanolin which is a natural skin moisturizer, very good for your hands. It takes anything off with ease and makes your hands look brand new in a minute or two. I don't like GO-JO because it is made with petroleum distillates which dries out your skin and is not so healthy in general.

Comment

Only way I know...

Only way I know to not get my hands dirty is to do nothin'. Otherwise it ain't happenin'.

Comment

Somebody introduced me to barrier cream one day- seems to work ok. Of course, I don't actually use it

We used it quite a bit when staining cabinetry.
                          I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Well. I kinda agree with the other guys. For myself, I don't really care that much if I've got a little black on my fingers. HOWEVER, some of the tschitt I get into is pretty bad. Been a garbage wagon mechanic over 30 years. The nitrile gloves are great for short term work. As others have said, the sweat buildup inside can be a problem. An hour with them on, and I can pour the sweat out of them, even in winter. Gloves are good for short term protection from the nasties, including the various solvents. Maybe better said especially the solvents. Things like solvent, acetone, laquer thinner will dry the skin quickly, and will leave cracks that the black grime gets into to stay.

For myself, regular use of hand lotion will prevent cracking, and all the things that seem to follow that condition. With regular use of lotion, and gloves for the worst of my work, I've managed to keep my hands in decent shape, and I'm pushing 57. And, another thing: in spite of over 30 years at the garbage company, I've never had even a slight infection, or any of the nasties you might imagine. If you get a owie, wash it with soap, and cover it with a band-aid, and go back to work.

One of the pluses of having slightly stained fists is nobody would ever think I'm a Lawyer or Bean counter...................

TC
                            I cut it off twice; it's still too short
                            Oregon, USA

Comment

Blue Magic, Invisible Glove works as barrier to many oils, greases, paints etc. Put it on before starting, then when done, wash off with soap&water and viola, clean hands. We used it in the lab when working with some nasty, dirty stuff

Comment

Working...
                              X