Building Trailers..Suggestions and Resources

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Too_Many_Tools
    Any opinions as to the trailers that Harbor Freight sells?
    Just my general opinion (low) of HF products.

One can Google trailer plans and find several sites that sell plans that have been approved by a PE. That will help with (not eliminate) the liability issues.

I used the front spindles off a early 70's GMC 1 ton with disk brakes for my 6 X 8. Load tested it with six 55 gallon drums of water.

Comment

One of the projects I am considering requires a lightweight trailer.

Any opinions as to the trailers that Harbor Freight sells?

Thanks
      I've seen it in their store. It's pretty flimsy in my opinion and it looked like the same guy who smeared bird droppings all over my engine lift put it together too.

I think it's hard to beat the 4x6 tilt bed that TSC sells. I brought my mill home on it, moved a large portion of our home in it along with my pickup and it does double duty as a lawn trailer with my riding mower to clear out brush. $350.00 I think they are now. I got mine 6 years ago for $299.00 and it's held up very well outside. I put in a temporary tongue extension so I can haul my little 14 foot john boat to the lake with it. I can remove the extension in a few minutes if I need it back normal.
      Last edited by Your Old Dog; 02-22-2010, 06:10 PM.
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

I am anticipating building several trailers this year.
        whats the use?, why multiple?

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver
          whats the use?, why multiple?

So I can go by the name of Too_Many_Trailers? ;<)

Well the truth is that I need...

1) a small trailer that can be folded and set vertically stored in a storage garage.

2) a medium trailer that will be used to transport a small storage shed from spot to spot occasionally.

3) a medium trailer for machine transportation (for tight spaces)

4) a medium enclosed trailer for gun shows

5) maybe a couple more based on some emerging ideas.

For me it will likely be the Year of the Trailer...and trailers are just one more specialized tool.

TMT

Comment

My joke photo might be less of a joke than I thought. Look for a clapped out mobile home trailer for your machine hauler frame and axles. They come in all lengths, but for hauling heavy machines, you might want a big trailer park type home to cut down. A lot of people build car haulers from those.

Comment

Many states have regulations that do not allow using mobile home axles for other types of trailers.

I found this on another forum:

Re: Mobile home axles outlawed?
              From Dexter Axles

AXLES - Can mobile home axles be reused?
              The Dexter MH (mobile home) type axle is designed for limited usage in the delivery of manufactured homes and has a one-time limit use. The axle has steel forged spindles that are not precision ground. The brake assembly is welded onto the beam and not intended to be field replaced. Additionally, the bearing package is smaller than the more expensive service type axle. Most MH axles are also equipped with a single leaf spring suspension for very heavy loads. We do not have components that would convert MH axles to servicable assemblies.
              Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Looking for websites that discuss trailer BUILDING...got any?

Thanks

TMT

Comment

Working...
                X