No announcement yet.

Cut Knurling tool in March/April issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mike's knurling tool is, as usual for his work, well thought out and beautifully done. It is similar in concept to the Quick knurling tool.

The knurling wheels, as Mike says, do not have the chamfered edge, they will cut knurls when presented to the workpiece properly. These style knurls are readily available. The chamfered knurls can be modified by thinning in a surface grinder to provide a square edge.
    Jim H.

Comment

Mcgyver;

Your workmanship is your signature. As soon as I saw the cover picture I told my wife, "that looks like something Mcgyver built".

I'm about three quarters done building a clamp knurling tool. It'll be sturdy but not as pretty as Mcgyver's, at least one recovery from a machining disaster and why I shouldn't have been drilling there in the first place.
      Jim

Comment

But seriously, someone would need need to have to do a hell of a lot of knurling to justify the time and effort expended to build that tool. It is way over the top for me. I'll just stick with my old scissors tool.
        But --- wheres the fun in that!! This is the kind of thing that gives me my most enjoyment out in my shop - a challenging construction that will give me many hours of pleasure ... and end up with a neat tool!

I followed/built Mikes/Mcgyver article on his bench top metal brake from some months back and it was a real pleasure, well written and described, with a quite serviceable brake at completion.
        If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

Oh! (light bulb just went on)
          So that's your article, Mcgyver. I went back and looked at author's name last night and was expecting to see "Mcgyver."

At any rate it's a nice article. Well done!
          Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Actually a standard knurling tool with cutters without bevels may cut a knurl if angled just right just as the tool in the article does. After all, it's the edge of the wheel that's cutting so if a wheel without the bevel is used it should cut if applied at an angle.

Edit: well, it won't do it with the bevel wheel for sure. It did cut a nice pattern on the first pass. I may buy two straight wheels without the bevel or grind the bevel off one side of two wheels and try it again. If it does a decent job that would be an easy way to do an on size knurl when needed.
            Last edited by Carld; 02-25-2010, 03:43 PM.
            It's only ink and paper

Comment

Mcgyver, Mike, Nice tool and well written article. The spindle housing fixture works slick. Made the spindles and had some bearings, knurls and gears on hand. Sorry, don't have the patients to wait a couple months for the next part. Going to first try and see if the dovetail tool mount will work for height adjustment (lazy ya know) Going to finish it now and if it don't work guess will have to redo when next part comes out. Thanks for doing the article. gary

Comment

lazy my ass, you've got to be the most productive builder here...i'm amazed that you knock it off so quickly, although i shouldn't be with your posts to the shop made thread....did you build those over time or real time and post the pics as you completed them? lol

thanks all for the kind words

for those not subscribing and scratching your heads, the article's on building this

in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

I'm looking forward to part 2 to see how the gears work. It looks like a good idea to me.
                  It's only ink and paper

Comment

I just got caught up on my magazine reading and finally read the article on building a cut knurling tool. It is a very well done article and a fun read with great pictures by Mcgyver.

I have never used an article to actually build something, but rather just read them for enjoyment and for ideas to use on my own creations. Just like in cooking, I can never just follow the recipe and always have to tweak something. It's that engineer thing and being a bit of a perfectionist.

In any case, I think there is a good chance that I will be making this one ... or something similar ;-)
                    "Work hard. Tell everyone everything you know. Close a deal with a handshake. Have fun!"

-- Harold "Doc" Edgerton

Comment

Super article, however there is a small discrepancy. You found two 1/2 x 1/4 ball bearings and the bearing fit is turned to 3/16" Just found it a little puzzling. The bore for the bearings is .188 deep so it appears the bearing is 1/2 x 3/16 x 3/16, Right?, Peter
                      The difficult done right away. the impossible takes a little time.

Comment

Well, that ruined my day. Out of all the articles that I have worked on recently, I especially wanted this one to be perfect. This should have been an easy catch too. Agreement between the text and drawings is one of those things I always check. I don’t know how I missed it, but miss it I did.

Brockley1, you are correct in that the ID of the bearing should measure 3/16”, to match the spindle. However, the typical 1/2"OD x 3/16”ID double sealed bearing measures .196” in thickness. This will place the bearing .008” proud of the spindle housing when assembled. This should not affect the function and could be avoided by making the bearing seat in the housing .196” deep. However, for those of you that have already made the bearing housing, re-fixturing and picking up the housing may not be feasible.

My apologies to Mr. Ward and our readers for letting this one slip by.

George Bulliss
                        George
                        Traverse City, MI

Comment

MY friend Mcgyver as usual You are a genius nearly as smart as me just kidding excellent work indeed I have never seen better.Sure you didn't buy them Grandpa Alistair
                          Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

thanks Alistair, but looks like there's not any smart awards to be had on this one...

George, very gracious of you to apologize but the errors were i believe in my submission so the apology to builders is mine.

The text/drawing discrepancy is a straight up error; mine uses a 3/16 ID bearing. If a builder has purchased the 1/4 ID bearing, I think it should still work if the spindle is also increased to 1/4....the bore in the housing is .3125 at this point so it should fit.

So far as the bearing thickness is concerned, I built mine to suit the bearings i had on hand. Later when writing it up I checked a catalog to make sure 1/2 x 3/16 are commonly available and they are listed as 1/2 x 3/16 x 3/16....I realize now that the stated thickness is an approximation; more than an accurate enough a description for the bottom of a router bit but not for our purposes...In hindsight i should have purchased one to verify this measurement/part number

Sorry for any inconvenience this may have cause and thanks Peter for the catch
                            in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Mike

Mike that reminds me of one i had in my shop a while ago. Some Guy brought it down to show me. It was quite nice and looked exactly like yours? I actually began making a scissor type but after seeing yours i began thinking your model would cut stainless knurls much better. Thankyopu for the enlightenment. Mike

Comment

Mcgyver As you can see by the pix I have begun to build your knurling tool and am stuck already. I am this far. I am making the hole for the bearing, ordered & should be here Monday. The hole will be .50 x .196. My problem is what is the size of the hole that goes thru the spindle housing? I am a little (actually a lot) confused by the next step. I am assuming, always a mistake, that there is a hole thru the housing & a 5-40 thread on the other end.
                                help
                                ed

Comment

Working...
                                X