Getting ready to attempt scraping-ink question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting ready to attempt scraping-ink question

I got a used CX-329 Smithy mill, (rebadged RF-45), for a great price. The table ways are not ground, although the saddle is top is scraped as as are the base ways and the column. The table ways still show the milling marks, similar to the way the IH mills used to be. I am going to start with the Z slide. I have some Canode #2243 water soluble die spotting ink. Will this work? What is recommended?

I plan on scraping the saddle top, then use that to mark the table bottom. I'll do the same saddle bottom, then use that to mark the base.
    I won two 3"granite surface plates at an auction, (one 18x24, other 18x28). I plan on taking one of them to the marble counter top place and see what it would cost to cut a 4" wide slice off of one, preferably at an angle, and use that to spot the column.
    Eric
    Eric Sanders in Brighton, Michigan
    www.scope-werks.com
    www.compufoil.com

I have seen many low end import mills with "scraping" including my Griz dovetail column mill. Most of these machines have ground ways with a little flaking. I have never seen one with a truly scraped way. My guess is that is the case with your machine as well. You can verify this my marking the surface.

As to where to start scraping - I would start with a vise or something flat - without dovetails. Spend a little time learning how to make a flat surface before trying to learn how to scrape into a dovetail. As to ink - I have used the water based Canode. It works well, but you have to be very careful to clean and oil your surface when you are not scraping - otherwise you get rust. Though they are messier, I prefer the oil based inks/paints. You don't have to be so careful to avoid rust.

Comment

Better tart with a good reference. Scraping machne tools is a whole trade it once took four years for an apprentice to master. Just jumping in and scraping may lead to a whole lot more work than necessary.

First find a copy of Connelley's "Reconditioning Machine Tools" and skim through it a couple times. Michael Morgan offers a scraping course in book and DVD. Take a look at these two source for scrapng info then consider again your starting point.

I teach this stuff starting with basic lecture and a lab where the class scrapes in a set of 1-2-3 blocks. As part of the lecture I stress the "scraping plan" where the machine tool reconditioning is boiled down to a serie of steps. There's far too much info to go into the topic here but trust me: the quality of your conditioning is dependent on building skills. gathering resources, take a course or two (Rich King teaches machine tool retoration; he's not far from you), and eventually rebuilding a machine tool. Expect to spend a year in the learning and almost ruining a smple project machine as a training exercise.
      Last edited by Forrest Addy; 02-24-2010, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X