Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pesky Fruit Flies.........Victory at Last!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pesky Fruit Flies.........Victory at Last!!

My wife has a garden and the last week or 2 we have had more vegetables than we have had storage, until she gets them all canned.

Anyway, the little fruit flies have been driving us crazy, you know the ones that get all over the bananas and apples.

So I got to thinking..........surely, I am smarter than a fruitfly (my wife, and many others, may have argued this point up until yesterday )

Since we will be eating the veggies, I couldn't spray poison on everything, if I was gonna do that, we could have just bought the food at the store..........

The fly swatter was a waste of time.......

"Fruit Flies and Green Beans" may be an acceptable MRE entree, but my wife doesn't enjoy such delicacies like the boys and I.

So, just round up the following junk and I will walk you through my newest invention.........

The "HELLBENDER FRUIT FLY TRAP"

(Pat. Pend., but you can a make a copy for private in-home use only)

A 2 liter CLEAR soft drink bottle (remove label and lid, discard)
    Sharp knife
    Bait....ripe bananas work well

Note where the sides of the bottle are straight and cylindrical, then cut the top off the bottle (Like you are making a funnel) but leave about a 1/4-1/2 inch of the cylindrical part attached to the funnel.

Put the bait (just a little) in the bottom of the bottle, add a little water and mash it up so it looks like thick syrup.

Invert the funnel and put it on top of the lower part of the bottle, slide it in enough to hold in place and you are done!

It catches them like crazy! Even caught a big fly and a mosquito in it, change the bait and I guess you could catch about any kind of bug.

Just take it outside and pull out the funnel and you can empty it out.........unless you are collecting for the MRE entree I mentioned earlier.

To keep this on-topic.....
    Obviously, you guys could cut this out of a piece of 6" diameter clear plastic bar stock............"D"D

HB

[This message has been edited by Hellbender (edited 10-06-2003).]
    NRA Lifetime Member

Great idea, I will have to give it a try sometime.
    Michael

Comment

I am an animal rights activist and I am totally offended by this...You are a killer and you should be shot!!!

just kidding!!
      great idea!!

brent

Comment

Yeah yeah yeah. We catch bears that way all the time up in Canada. Moose too sometimes.

Comment

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 11-16-2003).]

Comment

Err...Moosehead Bear?
            Sorry, my mistake; thought it said 20000-litre. Everything is bigger in Canada.

Edit: ...but you DO understand, they don't fit in there together, y'know.

[This message has been edited by Dr. Rob (edited 10-06-2003).]

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bspooh:
              I am an animal rights activist and I am totally offended by this...You are a killer and you should be shot!!!

just kidding!!
              great idea!!

brent
              </font>
              Actually, if you would have read my post in it's entirety, you would have noted this only CAPTURES, not KILLS, the poor creatures.

This way they can be humanely relocated to a safer area, away from the hazards of civilization, so they can freeze to death as soon as the temperature drops at night or be eaten by birds (which my boys like to shoot with thier BB guns).

HB

NRA Lifetime Member

Comment

Who said us canajuns drink those wimpy 2 liter pop jugs anyway. That's just a teaser. My yard is littered with 55 gal pop bottles. I'll have to make me one of those traps. Hmmm, I should have a barbeque- mystery meat.
                I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pgmrdan:
                  Sounds like the idea behind a fish trap.

</font>
                  So you are saying spending $10-15K on a patent is a bad idea?

I think California has a big problem with fruit flies AND too many old soft drink bottles, I was hoping to really cash in.......

Oh well, I guess I just wasted 6 months of research and $42,116 figuring out the best place to cut the bottles.

HB

NRA Lifetime Member

Comment

Hellbender, You blew it. I'll bet you could have got a federal grant to study the problem. Good idea though, think I will try it.

Comment

That is a good idea. It will work best if hung so the mouth is down. Flying critters like flys and wasps alway try to escape by flying up. Another trap I have seen is to take a 20 litre water jug from a water cooler and cut some circular holes in the sides. In these holes place some tubing about 1.5" diameter, clear is best, just long enough to span the jug with a hole in the middle of the tube facing up. About three at 120 degrees from each other and at different heights works well. Bait it and cap with whatever fits over the top.

Seems flys and wasps like rotting meat best.
                      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by pgmrdan:
                        Sounds like the idea behind a fish trap.

I don't get it...How would the fish fly in there? I've seen flying fish, but to be honest, they aren't very good at it.

What do you use for bait? OOoooh, NOW I get it! That's what the flies are for- Fly fishing!

And, "...Seems flys and wasps like rotting meat best."
                        And fish.

Comment

when i was a kid we would do that to catch small aquarium sized fish.

makes me laugh when i see people chasing inch long fish with a slurp gun .

put down the trap , wait .empty out fish.

use of much larger fish traps totally destroyed most of the fish stocks here in the late 80 s
                          wmd for fish

what really makes me laugh is the idiots they have on survivor .what would happen if they discovered how to use a blinking fish trap?

same trap that works for fish also works on birds /chickens/ rats- just set on land with some seed ,food ect

did a 2 week survival course once with the people who dont have any badges on their uniform
                          1st thing you do build bird trap.
                          2nd build fish trap
                          3 light fire and cook stuff from traps .
                          amazing

Comment

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 11-16-2003).]

Comment

I need to make one of those for politicians.

Comment

Working...
                              X